How to take a good pictures of my kids?

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Most of my camera use is to take a pictures of my kids.
The problem is that I don't success to get a good pictures because the kids I always in movement and the Canberra doesn't focus on them well.

I tried to set the shutter speed to be faster but the I get a darkness pictures :/

Why there is no modes like Nature,sport,kids,etc and the camera will set the values automatically due the selection mode? ( I had this feature in my android devices).

Sorry for my bad English guys..

Does anyone can help me with this issue??

Thanks,
Erez

Brandorak

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If you are in the Nokia Camera app, tap the little arrow pointing left (which is to the right of the manual icons on the top). This will collapse the icons. Press the little "a" and you can switch between "auto", "night" and "sports" modes. The "sports" auto mode should be able to capture better pictures of your kids in motion.

I believe the stock camera app also has more preset modes.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
It might not be the kids moving is causing the issue. Might be you moving the camera too much. I might be able to tell if you post an example image.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
if its kids, i always go with Xenon.. yea i know, it ruins the colors, and red(more like yellow) eye, but atleast u get a crystal clear frozen picture.. its crazy how the xenon freezes movements.. this is my fan http://1drv.ms/1kAJf9Y , it was spinning "full speed" when i took this picture.. also, it does "not" have a cage cover in the front, the thin bars u see on top of the fins are from the back :p

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If you are in the Nokia Camera app, tap the little arrow pointing left (which is to the right of the manual icons on the top). This will collapse the icons. Press the little "a" and you can switch between "auto", "night" and "sports" modes. The "sports" auto mode should be able to capture better pictures of your kids in motion.

I believe the stock camera app also has more preset modes.

Wow, I didn't pay attention for this! Thank you!

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
if its kids, i always go with Xenon.. yea i know, it ruins the colors, and red(more like yellow) eye, but atleast u get a crystal clear frozen picture.. its crazy how the xenon freezes movements.. this is my fan http://1drv.ms/1kAJf9Y , it was spinning "full speed" when i took this picture.. also, it does "not" have a cage cover in the front, the thin bars u see on top of the fins are from the back :p

Amazing!
I'm using the xenon often. I will try it again.
Thanks.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely try the "smart sequence" mode in Nokia Camera (the burst mode). There's also an option to swap between different faces after you take the shot (I.e. so not everyone has closed eyes :p)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sports mode with flash has given me some awesome photos indoor. I find the Nokia Camera Beta has reduced red eye vs non-beta app. If the white balance is off I find the following edits in Fantasia Painter produce some balanced photos:

Recolor: Blush setting at 25-75% mask
Life-like color: 25% mask or just dial down the effect slider

Here is a sample of a nice portrait :)

Brielle portrait by Blue1k, on Flickr

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned before, the smart sequence feature is quite useful to take pictures of kids. Apart from taking a quick succession of images, another benefit is that it focuses a lot quicker (possibly it is using hyperfocus and no focusing is required), and it uses a much faster shutter speed similar to sports mode. In lowlight, it freezes motion very well with shutter speed around 1/60s, but the image would be somewhat grainy due to the high ISO used. But the image can be quite sharp and at least you would be able to nail the shot. The image grain can be cleaned up (eg using the PhotoShop app). Worked pretty well for me. Of course if you can use the standard camera with flash, the result would be even better. However, in that case you may want to use manual focus which avoids the delay in focusing.

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned before, the smart sequence feature is quite useful to take pictures of kids. Apart from taking a quick succession of images, another benefit is that it focuses a lot quicker (possibly it is using hyperfocus and no focusing is required), and it uses a much faster shutter speed similar to sports mode. In lowlight, it freezes motion very well with shutter speed around 1/60s, but the image would be somewhat grainy due to the high ISO used. But the image can be quite sharp and at least you would be able to nail the shot. The image grain can be cleaned up (eg using the PhotoShop app). Worked pretty well for me. Of course if you can use the standard camera with flash, the result would be even better. However, in that case you may want to use manual focus which avoids the delay in focusing.

Thank you!

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I would like to add a new tip that I discovered today - ProShot! The app is very speedy and is now optimized for fast shooting. Quite effective for taking pictures of kids. I still like the default Nokia camera for static shots, but the ProShot app is no slouch and certainly a highly commendable effort. I have been a fan since my 920 days and now rediscovering it for my 1020.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The slow shutter speeds are a big problem for almost all Lumia devices, Nokia is fixing this but sadly only for Lumia 930 and 1520. :/
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes, it's just a case of keep trying till you get the photo you want. It can be a little tricky with kids and my two are no exception. The posed photos are usually no problems but there are times when I want to photograph when they're busy playing and it takes a lot of trial and error. Both my kids also take part in a weekly park run event and again, it takes a little bit of luck and some judgement to get a good shot when they're on the move.

Another thing to bear in mind is that even if you don't think you have got the ideal image framed, experiment with reframing until you're happy with the image. It can give new life to an otherwise doomed photo.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes, it's just a case of keep trying till you get the photo you want. It can be a little tricky with kids and my two are no exception. The posed photos are usually no problems but there are times when I want to photograph when they're busy playing and it takes a lot of trial and error. Both my kids also take part in a weekly park run event and again, it takes a little bit of luck and some judgement to get a good shot when they're on the move.

Another thing to bear in mind is that even if you don't think you have got the ideal image framed, experiment with reframing until you're happy with the image. It can give new life to an otherwise doomed photo.

If you are indoor, you can try to use the flash. The xenon flash is very powerful and can reach the subjects of they are within a couple of feet away. If they are posing and staring at the camera I try to avoid using flash but then posed shots are among the easiest to snap, you have time to focus and use a slower shutter speed.

For outdoor shots, you can try the smart sequence or sports mode. You can also set the focus point at infinity which provides a reasonable approximation to the hyperfocal mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett