How do I View High Res Photos?

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Tried HD Photo Viewer 8.0 app last night, allows you to view high-res versions of photos on phone. Found little if any difference. App details unclear, seem to suggest that you can do it on a Windows phone, and that you can't on a Nokia. Can anyone shed any light? Anyone using it successfully?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Jusy tried it and just seems same as default picture viewer , noticed the file name at top didnt show the highres copy like you can see if view camera roll on a pc.

Guess only the nokia camera app can gain access to that image on the phone itself.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I just tried the app again and sent a high-res email of a photo to my Android phone to see if I could view high-res version on that (Nexus 5). All I got was, to the best of my ability to judge, the same resolution as in the 1020's camera roll.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
If you open the photo in the Nokia Camera app it shows the full-resolution copy (a little cumbersome I know, but on WP8.1 with the Nokia Camera Beta it shows full-res photos in the camera roll).

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but that doesn't work for me. Tried it in Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta. All I get is the 5mp versions, same as in Camera Roll. Perhaps there's something I'm missing here.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It means you didn't capture high-resolution photos. Try capturing a photo in high resolution (5MP+34MP/38MP) using Nokia camera (beta). Open photos hub and tap on the photo

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I Think If You Actually Are Capturing HiRes When you open it in nokia camera it should basically look similar .its when you start zoom in and cropping the image its noticeable its access the high resolution image.
If you try doing it without opening via nokia camera the amount is somewhat less.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've just tried a test with Nokia Camera Beta, changing the three settings each time and shooting same subject as JPEG (5MP); JPEG (5MP + 34MP); and JPEG (5MP) + DNG (34MP). The middle one of those is the default setting. Results viewed looked the same so I must be looking at 5mp images. I'm not complaining of course...the 1020's 5mp oversampled images are wonderful.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Wait...I think I've got it. What I see in Camera Roll is 5mp image...when I open that in Nokia Camera Beta, I get a sharper, though not necessarily much more satisfying, higher res image which is presumably the 38mp one. I'd expected something stunningly sharp and detailed but it's not like that. But at least I've seen it.
Thanks all three of you for your patience in leading me stumblingly towards enlightenment.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I also expected somewhat stunningly sharp and heavily detailed images when viewing the original high-red photos and was also kind of disappointed when I realized I simply expected too much. I should've known better since I've been a DSLR user for many years.
Viewing the high-res samples on third party software also seems to be kind of lacking. I am using an app called "Zoom" you can manually select to view the full resolution image when opening a picture. While the resolution indeed increases, the image info still says I am viewing the 5mp file.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I also expected somewhat stunningly sharp and heavily detailed images when viewing the original high-red photos and was also kind of disappointed when I realized I simply expected too much. I should've known better since I've been a DSLR user for many years.
Viewing the high-res samples on third party software also seems to be kind of lacking. I am using an app called "Zoom" you can manually select to view the full resolution image when opening a picture. While the resolution indeed increases, the image info still says I am viewing the 5mp file.

Just wait till you view photos from a 1020 on a 4K monitor like I did....you'll take it back :p otherwise 1080p monitors don't have enough pixels (2 million) to show all of the detail captured in the photos you take (34-38 million, so you're only seeing 7% of the detail in theory)

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Just wait till you view photos from a 1020 on a 4K monitor like I did....you'll take it back :p otherwise 1080p monitors don't have enough pixels (2 million) to show all of the detail captured in the photos you take (34-38 million, so you're only seeing 7% of the detail in theory)

Yes. When I send 1020 Camera Roll photos to my Nexus 5 via OneDrive, they look noticeably sharper. Whether this is due to any lack of sharpness in the 1020's Pentile OLED, or because it's 720p, or both, I don't know, but if 1080p shows them better, 1440p must show them better still....a main reason I'm considering acquiring an LG G3.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Same for me too. I love my 1020 but the Nexus 5 screen (once calibrated) is just awesome. LG3 looks insane.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Same for me too. I love my 1020 but the Nexus 5 screen (once calibrated) is just awesome. LG3 looks insane.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Calibration, eh? That sounds interesting. I must look into it, as long as it's not one of those procedures that void your warranty.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You can use Nokia Camera now to view the full Resolution Photos.

I think that Nokia knew what they were doing when they stuck the hi-res images deep inside the phone....accessible yes, but not as worthwhile viewing as you'd think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss