07-20-2014 11:21 PM
66 123
tools
    So far i've noticed that Movie Maker, Video Compressor, Torrex Pro, Theme+ and Analog Clock Tile suspend if you back out.
    I guess that people who made them figured if they used strictly 8.1 features anyway there was no point in making a Silverlight version so they went straight to WinRT
    06-22-2014 02:07 PM
    Oh guys :c
    "Resuming" is present on 1gb ram devices ?
    I've got a Lumia 520 and it's sooo annoying
    06-22-2014 02:17 PM
    Lumia 925(1giga ram) here with dev 8.1, occasionally "resuming" shows up even with updated apps for 8.1
    06-22-2014 02:21 PM
    I guess that people who made them figured if they used strictly 8.1 features anyway there was no point in making a Silverlight version so they went straight to WinRT
    I decided to go with WinRT for Theme+ because if I later decide to develop a version for Windows 8, I can share a lot of the code and assets between the two. This is even easier than supporting WP7 and WP8 on the same app, because of different APIs and restrictions. So it didn't make sense to code it in Silverlight, and more so knowing WinRT is the future, for now.
    Cryio, jojoe42 and yeochinh like this.
    06-22-2014 07:16 PM
    Nokia 1020 with 2gb ram and a lot of resuming.. So annoying.
    WhatsApp have a big problem with this issue.. Sometimes I'm waiting 5-7 seconds on resuming screen.. So WhatsApp should improve their code.. Immediately! 😊
    06-23-2014 12:01 PM
    Nokia 1020 with 2gb ram and a lot of resuming.. So annoying.
    WhatsApp have a big problem with this issue.. Sometimes I'm waiting 5-7 seconds on resuming screen.. So WhatsApp should improve their code.. Immediately! ��
    email them and ask them if they can make the app resume any faster ;-)or tart a thread on their forums ;-)

have you tried pressing the back button then going to it from multi tasking window ;-)
    erda0 likes this.
    06-24-2014 05:23 AM
    Universal apps are NOT necessarily WinRT apps.

To check if an app is a WinRT one, open it, then press back to exit it.

After this operation, Silverlight apps will close completely. WinRT apps will be suspended to memory and will still be available in the multitasking menu. This new behavior was implemented in WP8.1.

I don't know any WinRT 3rd party apps, so if you want to test this behavior, you can try the default Calendar app, which has been rebuilt in WinRT for WP8.1
    But why suspend? Shouldn't all apps behave the same? Is MS suggesting convert all Silverlight apps to WinRT?
    06-24-2014 05:59 AM
    But why suspend? Shouldn't all apps behave the same? Is MS suggesting convert all Silverlight apps to WinRT?
    Yes, Microsoft is suggesting that all apps switch to the WinRT model. Also ... "why suspend" ? Because that's the default behavior for WinRT apps. Pressing back doesn't close anymore. It suspends. Though I don't know how well that works in practice since WP8.1 still has a limit of 8 cards/apps in the multitasking menu.
    06-25-2014 08:52 AM
    I'm not alone!! Once someone told me that Apps will resume, only in 512MB devices, whereas the 1GB devices simply run under multitasking/open after minimized. If this goes on, how comes WP will support BG downloads? The only capable app to do so currently is the Windows Store :lol. If the downloads are made to view under Action center, the problem will be solved, I guess.
    06-25-2014 08:58 AM
    If this goes on, how comes WP will support BG downloads? The only capable app to do so currently is the Windows Store :lol. If the downloads are made to view under Action center, the problem will be solved, I guess.
    if you enable an app to run in the background, it'll download even when it's suspended...
    06-25-2014 02:31 PM
    I don't know about y'all,

But on my 1020, I see Resuming Screens for:

Xbox Music App
    Xbox Video App
    Calendar App
    Messaging App (only sometimes)
    Email App (only sometimes)
    Games Hub
    aaaaaannnnndddddd....
    THE START SCREEN

My phone slowed down A LOT since I got the 8.1 update. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and there's no way I'm going back...

But man... That Resuming Screen is a *****.
    erda0, jojoe42 and Moiz Mian like this.
    06-26-2014 03:23 AM
    I don't know about y'all,

But on my 1020, I see Resuming Screens for:

Xbox Music App
    Xbox Video App
    Calendar App
    Messaging App (only sometimes)
    Email App (only sometimes)
    Games Hub
    aaaaaannnnndddddd....
    THE START SCREEN

My phone slowed down A LOT since I got the 8.1 update. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and there's no way I'm going back...

But man... That Resuming Screen is a *****.
    that's strange...
    my 1020 is still sofa king slick at the moment...

maybe you're low on memory?
    I heard it affects performance quite noticeably
    06-26-2014 07:24 AM
    that's strange...
    my 1020 is still sofa king slick at the moment...

maybe you're low on memory?
    I heard it affects performance quite noticeably
    I have 11GB free and still have this issue. I blame lack of optimization
    Nabiscuit and nickisverygood like this.
    06-26-2014 02:16 PM
    I have 11GB free and still have this issue. I blame lack of optimization
    do you have Cortana tile in your start screen?
    try to remove it and see if your phone is better afterwards
    06-26-2014 05:08 PM
    This resuming screen make me crazy!
    Microsoft should know that I really think about move (back) to ios/android.. Even the 41MP camera!!!!!
    I bought the device 3 months ago and in total I spent at least 1 hour in this f**** resuming screen!!!!
    07-07-2014 02:38 PM
    This resuming screen make me crazy!
    Microsoft should know that I really think about move (back) to ios/android.. Even the 41MP camera!!!!!
    I bought the device 3 months ago and in total I spent at least 1 hour in this f**** resuming screen!!!!
    It gets alleviated a little in WP8.1, and any resuming screens I see now I didn't get on WP8, so it's probably the lack of optimisation. Also thanks for the tip bijak_riyandi, unpinning the Cortana tile did (oddly) help things speed up a little...I will miss that beautiful Cortana tile though :(
    07-10-2014 03:08 AM
    Are they doing anything to speed up the resuming tiles on the 1020? (i hope they, do. please say they're doing something about it.)
    They're doing something about it.

There...happy now?

It may not be true though...still happy?
    07-10-2014 05:17 AM
    It gets alleviated a little in WP8.1, and any resuming screens I see now I didn't get on WP8, so it's probably the lack of optimisation. Also thanks for the tip bijak_riyandi, unpinning the Cortana tile did (oddly) help things speed up a little...I will miss that beautiful Cortana tile though :(
    Is not about optimisation, but that's how the OS works. Try launching the Nokia camera app by pressing the camera button, and you will see Resuming.... Go into settings, tap on Touch, you will see Resuming.... too. So, is Windows Phone 8 really so efficient that it can run well on budgeted hardware, I don't think so. Having so much of Resuming.... is not good at all. On the other hand, apps resume so much faster even on a budgeted Android devices like Moto G.
    07-10-2014 07:49 AM
    It gets worse on Windows pc especially with office 365.
    07-10-2014 08:18 AM
    Is not about optimisation, but that's how the OS works. Try launching the Nokia camera app by pressing the camera button, and you will see Resuming.... Go into settings, tap on Touch, you will see Resuming.... too. So, is Windows Phone 8 really so efficient that it can run well on budgeted hardware, I don't think so. Having so much of Resuming.... is not good at all. On the other hand, apps resume so much faster even on a budgeted Android devices like Moto G.
    That's because Android treats background processes like Windows 8 does - they literally have free reign to do whatever on the background and consume as much memory and resources as they need. WP suspends apps, with WP8.1 once developers optimise their apps for fast resume/switch to the new Silverlight/WinRT platform you won't see those resuming screens anymore. Also I would say it's optimisation, the messaging app wasn't this slow in GDR3 and there are still bugs that need tweaking. Plus, firmware makes a difference to performance too
    07-11-2014 03:57 PM
    Besides "resuming" I got"loading" sometimes too 😏
    Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk
    erda0 likes this.
    07-12-2014 03:43 PM
    I hate to see all the time "resuming....."
    How can you live with that???!!

Make a T-shirt with the word "resuming..." on the chest.

Wear it everyday.

That's how you live with it!!!
    07-13-2014 07:30 AM
    I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time.
    Calm down. WP 8.1 is. Still in beta.
    07-13-2014 07:32 AM
    Besides "resuming" I got"loading" sometimes too 😏
    Got this too in the last few days.. So annoying!
    07-13-2014 09:34 AM
    As I understood, the cyan won't fix it. Or does it?
    07-13-2014 03:22 PM
66 123