Resuming..... Ohhh..

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you're new to Windows and the 1020, you'll find that the 41mp camera helps you to live with it. A small price.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

yeochinh

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Are they doing anything to speed up the resuming tiles on the 1020? (i hope they, do. please say they're doing something about it.)

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
if you want to quickly switch between apps with minimal waiting and resuming use the back button and multi tasking window to get between apps

if you use the live tiles you will be presented with splash screens , resuming screens and apps loading from scratch , if you use the multi task window it should cut down waiting times quite a bit ;-)

also you are wrong about build , they have done their bit and updated the api , the devs of the apps you are using now have to enable it in their apps from what I am reading ;-)

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
also you are wrong about build , they have done their bit and updated the api , the devs of the apps you are using now have to enable it in their apps from what I am reading ;-)

You're on the right track here. There are two main reasons that the resuming screen will be visible less and less.
The first is the OS handles memory differently so memory efficient apps don't have to be suspended as often. There's no way around it for apps that consume a lot of memories so when memory is needed, those high memory apps will have to be suspended to make room.
The second is that WinRT apps (the new run time used in Windows and now WP8.1) is significantly more efficient with memory usage in normal usage. It's even more so efficient when handling large lists. This is why apps that have large lists with complex data like lots of info and images start to bog down and need to be resumed often in Silverlight apps (WP8 and earlier). Silverlight apps are just not that good at handling large lists and complex UI.

So to sum up, the resuming screen will be appearing less and less as the following take place:
-Apps are written efficiently from the start by devs that know what they're doing.
-Apps are running on WP8.1 and later.
-Apps are written in WinRT rather than Silverlight.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
"I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time. "

You do realize that Windows Phone 8.1 has not even been released for the general public yet, right? Quoting Joe Belfiore: "Our intent is that users get apps with "instant resume", but this is a case where we have to trust the ISV to get things right" - The capability is there, although it is still on its way.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time.

maybe because the current 8.1 that's running on your phone is not yet optimized for your phone
the optimization will come with Lumia Cyan, so save your judgment until Cyan comes

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
maybe because the current 8.1 that's running on your phone is not yet optimized for your phone
the optimization will come with Lumia Cyan, so save your judgment until Cyan comes

its not even that , its more to do with the apps being coded to make use of the work done in 8.1 as me and another user pointed out above ;-) things will get much better and the groundwork is done , people now just need to use the new groundwork

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a few universal apps on my phone (which means they're most likely written in WinRT) and they resume pretty much instantly, I don't see the resuming dots when I go back to them in multitasking. It's up to the devs to implement the code...

yeochinh

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a few universal apps on my phone (which means they're most likely written in WinRT) and they resume pretty much instantly, I don't see the resuming dots when I go back to them in multitasking. It's up to the devs to implement the code...

Can you name some of these apps? :) Would like to try some.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Can you name some of these apps? :) Would like to try some.

Super Tap Ultra
Calculator?
Movie Moments
Most of the MS apps (Reading List, Weather, Music etc.)

Those are the ones I know of but I'm pretty sure there are more on the store. Also, the WPCentral app seems to have been updated with the code that allows the app to resume instantly - I don't ever see the resuming dots when I go back to WPCentral

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I could not, survived nine months, lost all hope with 8.1 update. It's terrible number one flaw of this platform.

Everybody complains about missing apps but it's not the main issue IMO...

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I could not, survived nine months, lost all hope with 8.1 update. It's terrible number one flaw of this platform.

Everybody complains about missing apps but it's not the main issue IMO...

You do know that you are using the preview. At least wait for the final release before giving your opinion.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
You do know that you are using the preview. At least wait for the final release before giving your opinion.

you do realise that the preview is running on phones selling in shop stores ;-) its hard to use that excuse when phones being sold are now running 8.1 albeit with cyan overlay , again it is not an 8.1 issue , it is how the apps are written , its up to the devs of apps to make use of the new features , 8.1 has bought these to devs now devs have to use them ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb