Resuming..... Ohhh..

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It's near final release, late beta I'd say.
No time for fundamental changes, only late bug fixes.

8.1 is here , it will be getting released soon for all phones and its on phones now being sold in shops , it will be updated over time as all software does and nokia will also update handsets with their firmware for the software ;-) but its at final release as its on phones in shops now ;-)

yeochinh

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Super Tap Ultra
Calculator?
Movie Moments
Most of the MS apps (Reading List, Weather, Music etc.)

Those are the ones I know of but I'm pretty sure there are more on the store. Also, the WPCentral app seems to have been updated with the code that allows the app to resume instantly - I don't ever see the resuming dots when I go back to WPCentral

Thanks for this! Will definitely check these out.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a few universal apps on my phone (which means they're most likely written in WinRT) and they resume pretty much instantly, I don't see the resuming dots when I go back to them in multitasking. It's up to the devs to implement the code...

Totally agree. Look for universal apps you will be amazed by the speed.

Example torrex pro

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Universal apps are NOT necessarily WinRT apps.

To check if an app is a WinRT one, open it, then press back to exit it.

After this operation, Silverlight apps will close completely. WinRT apps will be suspended to memory and will still be available in the multitasking menu. This new behavior was implemented in WP8.1.

I don't know any WinRT 3rd party apps, so if you want to test this behavior, you can try the default Calendar app, which has been rebuilt in WinRT for WP8.1

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
So far i've noticed that Movie Maker, Video Compressor, Torrex Pro, Theme+ and Analog Clock Tile suspend if you back out.

I guess that people who made them figured if they used strictly 8.1 features anyway there was no point in making a Silverlight version so they went straight to WinRT

anon(5344611)

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess that people who made them figured if they used strictly 8.1 features anyway there was no point in making a Silverlight version so they went straight to WinRT

I decided to go with WinRT for Theme+ because if I later decide to develop a version for Windows 8, I can share a lot of the code and assets between the two. This is even easier than supporting WP7 and WP8 on the same app, because of different APIs and restrictions. So it didn't make sense to code it in Silverlight, and more so knowing WinRT is the future, for now.

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Nokia 1020 with 2gb ram and a lot of resuming.. So annoying.
WhatsApp have a big problem with this issue.. Sometimes I'm waiting 5-7 seconds on resuming screen.. So WhatsApp should improve their code.. Immediately! 😊

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 1020 with 2gb ram and a lot of resuming.. So annoying.
WhatsApp have a big problem with this issue.. Sometimes I'm waiting 5-7 seconds on resuming screen.. So WhatsApp should improve their code.. Immediately! ��

email them and ask them if they can make the app resume any faster ;-)or tart a thread on their forums ;-)

have you tried pressing the back button then going to it from multi tasking window ;-)

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Universal apps are NOT necessarily WinRT apps.

To check if an app is a WinRT one, open it, then press back to exit it.

After this operation, Silverlight apps will close completely. WinRT apps will be suspended to memory and will still be available in the multitasking menu. This new behavior was implemented in WP8.1.

I don't know any WinRT 3rd party apps, so if you want to test this behavior, you can try the default Calendar app, which has been rebuilt in WinRT for WP8.1

But why suspend? Shouldn't all apps behave the same? Is MS suggesting convert all Silverlight apps to WinRT?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
But why suspend? Shouldn't all apps behave the same? Is MS suggesting convert all Silverlight apps to WinRT?

Yes, Microsoft is suggesting that all apps switch to the WinRT model. Also ... "why suspend" ? Because that's the default behavior for WinRT apps. Pressing back doesn't close anymore. It suspends. Though I don't know how well that works in practice since WP8.1 still has a limit of 8 cards/apps in the multitasking menu.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not alone!! Once someone told me that Apps will resume, only in 512MB devices, whereas the 1GB devices simply run under multitasking/open after minimized. If this goes on, how comes WP will support BG downloads? The only capable app to do so currently is the Windows Store :lol. If the downloads are made to view under Action center, the problem will be solved, I guess.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If this goes on, how comes WP will support BG downloads? The only capable app to do so currently is the Windows Store :lol. If the downloads are made to view under Action center, the problem will be solved, I guess.

if you enable an app to run in the background, it'll download even when it's suspended...

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about y'all,

But on my 1020, I see Resuming Screens for:

Xbox Music App
Xbox Video App
Calendar App
Messaging App (only sometimes)
Email App (only sometimes)
Games Hub
aaaaaannnnndddddd....
THE START SCREEN

My phone slowed down A LOT since I got the 8.1 update. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and there's no way I'm going back...

But man... That Resuming Screen is a *****.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about y'all,

But on my 1020, I see Resuming Screens for:

Xbox Music App
Xbox Video App
Calendar App
Messaging App (only sometimes)
Email App (only sometimes)
Games Hub
aaaaaannnnndddddd....
THE START SCREEN

My phone slowed down A LOT since I got the 8.1 update. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and there's no way I'm going back...

But man... That Resuming Screen is a *****.

that's strange...
my 1020 is still sofa king slick at the moment...

maybe you're low on memory?
I heard it affects performance quite noticeably

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
This resuming screen make me crazy!
Microsoft should know that I really think about move (back) to ios/android.. Even the 41MP camera!!!!!
I bought the device 3 months ago and in total I spent at least 1 hour in this f**** resuming screen!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb