Resuming..... Ohhh..

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This resuming screen make me crazy!
Microsoft should know that I really think about move (back) to ios/android.. Even the 41MP camera!!!!!
I bought the device 3 months ago and in total I spent at least 1 hour in this f**** resuming screen!!!!

It gets alleviated a little in WP8.1, and any resuming screens I see now I didn't get on WP8, so it's probably the lack of optimisation. Also thanks for the tip bijak_riyandi, unpinning the Cortana tile did (oddly) help things speed up a little...I will miss that beautiful Cortana tile though :(

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It gets alleviated a little in WP8.1, and any resuming screens I see now I didn't get on WP8, so it's probably the lack of optimisation. Also thanks for the tip bijak_riyandi, unpinning the Cortana tile did (oddly) help things speed up a little...I will miss that beautiful Cortana tile though :(

Is not about optimisation, but that's how the OS works. Try launching the Nokia camera app by pressing the camera button, and you will see Resuming.... Go into settings, tap on Touch, you will see Resuming.... too. So, is Windows Phone 8 really so efficient that it can run well on budgeted hardware, I don't think so. Having so much of Resuming.... is not good at all. On the other hand, apps resume so much faster even on a budgeted Android devices like Moto G.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Is not about optimisation, but that's how the OS works. Try launching the Nokia camera app by pressing the camera button, and you will see Resuming.... Go into settings, tap on Touch, you will see Resuming.... too. So, is Windows Phone 8 really so efficient that it can run well on budgeted hardware, I don't think so. Having so much of Resuming.... is not good at all. On the other hand, apps resume so much faster even on a budgeted Android devices like Moto G.

That's because Android treats background processes like Windows 8 does - they literally have free reign to do whatever on the background and consume as much memory and resources as they need. WP suspends apps, with WP8.1 once developers optimise their apps for fast resume/switch to the new Silverlight/WinRT platform you won't see those resuming screens anymore. Also I would say it's optimisation, the messaging app wasn't this slow in GDR3 and there are still bugs that need tweaking. Plus, firmware makes a difference to performance too

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Calm down. WP 8.1 is. Still in beta.

Stop deceiving yourself. Even with WP8.1 (and it is no longer in BETA), resuming is still happening on slower devices. Face it. Windows Phone OS is not as slick as we are told. It requires good hardware to make it shine, just like Android and iOS or any other OSes. I'm seeing lots of resuming on the old 1020 than the 1520.

And IMO, Android is still better in handling app switching. When I tap on the notifications on the Android, apps launch / switches immediately. On the other hand, Windows Phone animates like crazy whenever I tap on an incoming toast. Opening Whatsapp on 1020 is darn slow. App issues? Consumers don't care. If it is slow, they switch. Simple as that.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
That's because Android treats background processes like Windows 8 does - they literally have free reign to do whatever on the background and consume as much memory and resources as they need. WP suspends apps, with WP8.1 once developers optimise their apps for fast resume/switch to the new Silverlight/WinRT platform you won't see those resuming screens anymore. Also I would say it's optimisation, the messaging app wasn't this slow in GDR3 and there are still bugs that need tweaking. Plus, firmware makes a difference to performance too

iOS also suspends apps. But I'm not seeing such weird behaviors. Things will be better with the new WinRT? I don't think so because they are already reports of people still seeing Resuming.... problems. But I'm not sure if those apps are optimized or not. Time will tell. I hope things will be better when time comes.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Stop deceiving yourself. Even with WP8.1 (and it is no longer in BETA), resuming is still happening on slower devices. Face it. Windows Phone OS is not as slick as we are told. It requires good hardware to make it shine, just like Android and iOS or any other OSes. I'm seeing lots of resuming on the old 1020 than the 1520.

And IMO, Android is still better in handling app switching. When I tap on the notifications on the Android, apps launch / switches immediately. On the other hand, Windows Phone animates like crazy whenever I tap on an incoming toast. Opening Whatsapp on 1020 is darn slow. App issues? Consumers don't care. If it is slow, they switch. Simple as that.

I agree. No matter the theoretical superiority of how WP handles opening apps and app switching, Android outshines it by a long shot in real world performance. My 920 that has almost nothing on it takes forever to open apps. And no, there's nothing wrong with it. I've had 2 920's and other miscellaneous WPs, and they're all the same. Even now, when I open Cortana on my 920, I wait 3 seconds while it says "Getting things ready...". I can close it and reopen it 1/2 second later, same thing. I unpinned Cortana's live tile, no difference.

I just testing opening apps, comparing my 920 with WP8.1 and my Verizon Moto G with KitKat 4.4.2. (I use a Nexus 5 as my daily driver but I know that wouldn't be a fair comparison to the 920.) I tested eBay, Reddit (Baconit on WP), and Tapatalk. I cleared the recent app list on both so they were both opening the apps cold. The Moto G won every single one. And, when I closed them and reopened them, there was no comparison. The Moto G reopened them instantly, but the 920 had a lot of animation before reopening them. Now, I don't know if animation is always part of opening apps and the app was waiting on the animation, but either way it takes a long time until it's ready to go.

In short, the app switching system in WP needs a lot of work to get anywhere close to what it's up against.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, app switching is not smooth, iOS7 on iPhone 5S (wife's) runs seamless compared my 1020. I hate to admit it but Windows Mobile needs to settle on 3 phones (low end, high end, high end phablet) and work hard at making sure all models run fluid, optimized if required. Third party is one thing but Lumia is MS so this should be figured out by now.

Meh, with the recent rumor of 1020 losing support Sept 2014, I'm done with WP. I love the OS but am having a hard time standing behind a company that doesn't backup proper support...i got this device expecting 2 more years.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
iOS also suspends apps. But I'm not seeing such weird behaviors. Things will be better with the new WinRT? I don't think so because they are already reports of people still seeing Resuming.... problems. But I'm not sure if those apps are optimized or not. Time will tell. I hope things will be better when time comes.

Download a WinRT/Universal app...I don't see any resuming signs on those

erda0

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Please, Does anyone of you got the official update to Cyan and can tell me if there is any improvements with this f*$&%# resuming screen?!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Please, Does anyone of you got the official update to Cyan and can tell me if there is any improvements with this f*$&%# resuming screen?!

Yes, I would like to know also although I highly doubt WinRT will do the job. On slower phones, resuming is just bound to be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077