07-20-2014 11:21 PM
66 123
tools
    I hate to see all the time "resuming....."
    How can you live with that???!!
    06-19-2014 06:52 AM
    I hate to see all the time "resuming....."
    How can you live with that???!!
    It's not that difficult, just breathe in and breathe out.
    06-19-2014 06:56 AM
    If you're new to Windows and the 1020, you'll find that the 41mp camera helps you to live with it. A small price.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Deviantelf and erda0 like this.
    06-19-2014 07:13 AM
    If you're new to Windows and the 1020, you'll find that the 41mp camera helps you to live with it. A small price.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    I am and I hope so but Microsoft should fix this problem soon as possible...
    06-19-2014 08:25 AM
    Are they doing anything to speed up the resuming tiles on the 1020? (i hope they, do. please say they're doing something about it.)
    06-19-2014 09:40 AM
    I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time.
    erda0, chmun77 and thatguy97 like this.
    06-19-2014 10:07 AM
    if you want to quickly switch between apps with minimal waiting and resuming use the back button and multi tasking window to get between apps

if you use the live tiles you will be presented with splash screens , resuming screens and apps loading from scratch , if you use the multi task window it should cut down waiting times quite a bit ;-)

also you are wrong about build , they have done their bit and updated the api , the devs of the apps you are using now have to enable it in their apps from what I am reading ;-)
    wpfanboy17 and erda0 like this.
    06-19-2014 02:48 PM
    also you are wrong about build , they have done their bit and updated the api , the devs of the apps you are using now have to enable it in their apps from what I am reading ;-)
    You're on the right track here. There are two main reasons that the resuming screen will be visible less and less.
    The first is the OS handles memory differently so memory efficient apps don't have to be suspended as often. There's no way around it for apps that consume a lot of memories so when memory is needed, those high memory apps will have to be suspended to make room.
    The second is that WinRT apps (the new run time used in Windows and now WP8.1) is significantly more efficient with memory usage in normal usage. It's even more so efficient when handling large lists. This is why apps that have large lists with complex data like lots of info and images start to bog down and need to be resumed often in Silverlight apps (WP8 and earlier). Silverlight apps are just not that good at handling large lists and complex UI.

So to sum up, the resuming screen will be appearing less and less as the following take place:
    -Apps are written efficiently from the start by devs that know what they're doing.
    -Apps are running on WP8.1 and later.
    -Apps are written in WinRT rather than Silverlight.
    06-19-2014 03:07 PM
    "I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time. "

You do realize that Windows Phone 8.1 has not even been released for the general public yet, right? Quoting Joe Belfiore: "Our intent is that users get apps with "instant resume", but this is a case where we have to trust the ISV to get things right" - The capability is there, although it is still on its way.
    portalfocus likes this.
    06-19-2014 07:50 PM
    I found that apps got a lot better with a hard reset.
    06-19-2014 08:02 PM
    You do realize that Windows Phone 8.1 has not even been released for the general public yet, right?
    Wrong. Lumia 630.
    06-20-2014 01:44 AM
    I remember at Build they were talking like how they speeded up WP8.1 so that you would almost never see the resuming on a 1 gig device. Big bull**** again from MS. Things must resume all the ducking time.
    maybe because the current 8.1 that's running on your phone is not yet optimized for your phone
    the optimization will come with Lumia Cyan, so save your judgment until Cyan comes
    06-20-2014 02:16 AM
    maybe because the current 8.1 that's running on your phone is not yet optimized for your phone
    the optimization will come with Lumia Cyan, so save your judgment until Cyan comes
    its not even that , its more to do with the apps being coded to make use of the work done in 8.1 as me and another user pointed out above ;-) things will get much better and the groundwork is done , people now just need to use the new groundwork
    06-20-2014 04:26 AM
    I have a few universal apps on my phone (which means they're most likely written in WinRT) and they resume pretty much instantly, I don't see the resuming dots when I go back to them in multitasking. It's up to the devs to implement the code...
    yeochinh likes this.
    06-21-2014 03:35 PM
    I have a few universal apps on my phone (which means they're most likely written in WinRT) and they resume pretty much instantly, I don't see the resuming dots when I go back to them in multitasking. It's up to the devs to implement the code...
    Can you name some of these apps? :) Would like to try some.
    06-21-2014 10:30 PM
    Can you name some of these apps? :) Would like to try some.
    Super Tap Ultra
    Calculator
    Movie Moments
    Most of the MS apps (Reading List, Weather, Music etc.)

Those are the ones I know of but I'm pretty sure there are more on the store. Also, the WPCentral app seems to have been updated with the code that allows the app to resume instantly - I don't ever see the resuming dots when I go back to WPCentral
    yeochinh likes this.
    06-22-2014 02:58 AM
    I could not, survived nine months, lost all hope with 8.1 update. It's terrible number one flaw of this platform.

Everybody complains about missing apps but it's not the main issue IMO...
    06-22-2014 04:48 AM
    I could not, survived nine months, lost all hope with 8.1 update. It's terrible number one flaw of this platform.

Everybody complains about missing apps but it's not the main issue IMO...

You do know that you are using the preview. At least wait for the final release before giving your opinion.
    06-22-2014 04:58 AM
    You do know that you are using the preview. At least wait for the final release before giving your opinion.
    It's near final release, late beta I'd say.
    No time for fundamental changes, only late bug fixes.
    06-22-2014 05:36 AM
    you do realise that the preview is running on phones selling in shop stores ;-) its hard to use that excuse when phones being sold are now running 8.1 albeit with cyan overlay , again it is not an 8.1 issue , it is how the apps are written , its up to the devs of apps to make use of the new features , 8.1 has bought these to devs now devs have to use them ;-)
    06-22-2014 05:36 AM
    It's near final release, late beta I'd say.
    No time for fundamental changes, only late bug fixes.
    8.1 is here , it will be getting released soon for all phones and its on phones now being sold in shops , it will be updated over time as all software does and nokia will also update handsets with their firmware for the software ;-) but its at final release as its on phones in shops now ;-)
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-22-2014 05:38 AM
    Super Tap Ultra
    Calculator
    Movie Moments
    Most of the MS apps (Reading List, Weather, Music etc.)

Those are the ones I know of but I'm pretty sure there are more on the store. Also, the WPCentral app seems to have been updated with the code that allows the app to resume instantly - I don't ever see the resuming dots when I go back to WPCentral
    Thanks for this! Will definitely check these out.
    06-22-2014 06:19 AM
    Totally agree. Look for universal apps you will be amazed by the speed.

Example torrex pro
    06-22-2014 06:34 AM
    Universal apps are NOT necessarily WinRT apps.

To check if an app is a WinRT one, open it, then press back to exit it.

After this operation, Silverlight apps will close completely. WinRT apps will be suspended to memory and will still be available in the multitasking menu. This new behavior was implemented in WP8.1.

I don't know any WinRT 3rd party apps, so if you want to test this behavior, you can try the default Calendar app, which has been rebuilt in WinRT for WP8.1
    bijak_riyandi and Jakez98 like this.
    06-22-2014 06:40 AM
    So far i've noticed that Movie Maker, Video Compressor, Torrex Pro, Theme+ and Analog Clock Tile suspend if you back out.
    06-22-2014 09:28 AM
66 123