Any US 1020 users got the Cyan update yet?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The Cyan update is slowly being phased out, but it's more than likely to be creeping out in the next couple of weeks. You might be a couple of days early to ask this, but it will all depend on your carriers.

zzynko

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Got tired of waiting and I updated it this weekend. (Dev. preview)

So far it's been a great experience, no issues.

Be prepared to spend a couple of hours getting it up to date, to the latest bug fixes, patches/updates. (8.10.12397.895)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Got tired of waiting and I updated it this weekend. (Dev. preview)

So far it's been a great experience, no issues.

Be prepared to spend a couple of hours getting it up to date, to the latest bug fixes, patches/updates. (8.10.12397.895)

Lumia Cyan has more features than the stock Windows Phone 8.1 for most of those are only for the newer Lumias. :/

Intrepid00

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Cyan has the firmware I need to make the phone play nice with 8.1 and the hardware. Like, for some reason according to battery sense messaging is a huge battery drain to send a text message and is number one usage and I use IE and Baconit way more. Cyan might have a driver for the phone's radios that make it play nicer.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Cyan has the firmware I need to make the phone play nice with 8.1 and the hardware. Like, for some reason according to battery sense messaging is a huge battery drain to send a text message and is number one usage and I use IE and Baconit way more. Cyan might have a driver for the phone's radios that make it play nicer.

In some sense you are correct when Cyan is pushed out to devices it will have already been tested and the bugs will have been worked out.

But I believe before Cyan even rolls out we might see another Windows Phone 8.1 update to fix all the issues for all phones.

But other than bug fixes, a brightness slider in settings and a new Creative Studio nothing else will come for the older Lumia generation.

Nokia's decision to only give continuous focus to the newer Lumia ranges is odd, as the hardware required for continuous focus is possessed by all Windows Phone 8 devices. :/

If they worked on continuous focus and faster shot-to-shot times for the 1020 as well, it would have made the 1020's shooter a true P&S/DSLR alternative.

zzynko

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I for one was expecting the update to WP 8.1 not to make the device worse than it was before. I'd say it was accomplished rather nicely.

The new features are a bonus, the improvements at OS level have enough parity that a missing feature on a newer Lumia isn't a deal breaker for most people.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
In some sense you are correct when Cyan is pushed out to devices it will have already been tested and the bugs will have been worked out.

But I believe before Cyan even rolls out we might see another Windows Phone 8.1 update to fix all the issues for all phones.

But other than bug fixes, a brightness slider in settings and a new Creative Studio nothing else will come for the older Lumia generation.

Nokia's decision to only give continuous focus to the newer Lumia ranges is odd, as the hardware required for continuous focus is possessed by all Windows Phone 8 devices. :/

If they worked on continuous focus and faster shot-to-shot times for the 1020 as well, it would have made the 1020's shooter a true P&S/DSLR alternative.

They are working on it, they stated with the Cyan update they changed how they use the PureView sensors so the shot-to-shot time is reduced in conjunction with the new Nokia Camera app, and I have continuous focusing in the Nokia Camera Beta on WP8.1 (well in video, anyways - it focuses much quicker)

In regard to the thread, it'll take ten thousand years for the update to roll out to the US, yet alone globally

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
They are working on it, they stated with the Cyan update they changed how they use the PureView sensors so the shot-to-shot time is reduced in conjunction with the new Nokia Camera app, and I have continuous focusing in the Nokia Camera Beta on WP8.1 (well in video, anyways - it focuses much quicker)

In regard to the thread, it'll take ten thousand years for the update to roll out to the US, yet alone globally

Daniel Rubino has stated faster shot-to-shot times for all phones that receive Cyan, so maybe that's true.

But are you retarded about the second part? Continuous focus has been in video since Windows Phone 7.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Daniel Rubino has stated faster shot-to-shot times for all phones that receive Cyan, so maybe that's true.

But are you retarded about the second part? Continuous focus has been in video since Windows Phone 7.

Well of course, but obviously they've done something to make it faster at doing so - my 1020 used to take light years to change focus in videos. Also, does anyone who's a dev know if the OIS can be triggered separately without specifically focusing on stuff - because I've also noticed the OIS to be on in the live viewfinder in Nokia Camera Beta whereas previously it wasn't

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well of course, but obviously they've done something to make it faster at doing so - my 1020 used to take light years to change focus in videos. Also, does anyone who's a dev know if the OIS can be triggered separately without specifically focusing on stuff - because I've also noticed the OIS to be on in the live viewfinder in Nokia Camera Beta whereas previously it wasn't

I noticed something similar about OIS being live in the viewfinder right after updating this morning, but now I can't reproduce it. I think it was just a fluke or glitch with the app.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Also, does anyone who's a dev know if the OIS can be triggered separately without specifically focusing on stuff - because I've also noticed the OIS to be on in the live viewfinder in Nokia Camera Beta whereas previously it wasn't

Interesting, I just tested it it does appear to be slightly more on than previously or in other camera apps. However, it still isn't as noticeable until you press the focus key. I wonder if it's related to their implementation of continuous autofocus and another feature spill like the living images bug that let us use it in the last beta.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6