So I got my replacement 1020

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Damn Skamath, that's a bunch of bs run around for a replacement phone!

I'm expecting my 1520 to arrive any minute today. That's one good thing I like about this insurance.. They get the replacement phone here fast!

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow that sucks that Asurion still considers the 1020 on AT&T a Tier 3 device and would charge $199 for a replacement. I've had my 920 for 13 months now and it's still a Tier 2 device so a replacement would be $125, but my phone was initially free so I doubt I'd pay that deductible at this point. Probably just buy a $50 Lumia 520 to get me by for a while if I had to replace my 920.

Also, in case you did not know, AT&T and Asurion now have this new Declining Deductible discount. Depending on how long you have had your device, the deductible drops over time. This goes into effect Aug 1, 2014.

More on this here:
"Effective 8/1/14, you may be eligible for the Declining Deductible discount and up to 50% off of the standard deductible..."
AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Mobile Insurance

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow that sucks that Asurion still considers the 1020 on AT&T a Tier 3 device and would charge $199 for a replacement. I've had my 920 for 13 months now and it's still a Tier 2 device so a replacement would be $125, but my phone was initially free so I doubt I'd pay that deductible at this point. Probably just buy a $50 Lumia 520 to get me by for a while if I had to replace my 920.

Also, in case you did not know, AT&T and Asurion now have this new Declining Deductible discount. Depending on how long you have had your device, the deductible drops over time. This goes into effect Aug 1, 2014.

More on this here:
"Effective 8/1/14, you may be eligible for the Declining Deductible discount and up to 50% off of the standard deductible..."
AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Mobile Insurance

Thanks for the post and the heads up about this.. too bad it's not 8/1/14 yet.

And I guess that's why they're sending me a 1520 as a replacement? Idk... I'm still kinda saddened by this "downgrade" in camera. I really loved the 1020's camera.. I may just have to complain about it at my local at&t store and see if they'll give me a discount on my bill at least.. ;)

Again, I might be on the lookout for another 1020, just for my camera needs, if the 1520 doesn't fulfill that spot.

No FedEx truck yet....

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the post and the heads up about this.. too bad it's not 8/1/14 yet.

And I guess that's why they're sending me a 1520 as a replacement? Idk... I'm still kinda saddened by this "downgrade" in camera. I really loved the 1020's camera.. I may just have to complain about it at my local at&t store and see if they'll give me a discount on my bill at least.. ;)

Again, I might be on the lookout for another 1020, just for my camera needs, if the 1520 doesn't fulfill that spot.

No FedEx truck yet....

I'd at least complain if the 1520 is the 16GB version instead of the 32GB one. Especially if your previous phone had 32GB.

Good luck!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The FedEx truck has delivered my 1520... yep, it's the RM-940 16GB version... I'm currently getting the Cyan/8.1 update and everything activated etc etc ...

Might be going up to the AT&T store shortly to complain about this "1020 replacement's" shortcomings... Where's my 32GB of storage? Where's my 41MP sensor and Xenon flash?? lol

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh... the SIM card door on the side of this 1520 is kinda mesed up... so I WILL be definitely paying the AT&T store a visit today. I'm NOT going to settle for this at least. They're going to at the VERY least give me a new SIM card door of another 1520!

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Is it a sim tray or just a flap that covers a port for the sim card? I was too lazy when I got a replacement 928 (before it broke and ended up keeping my original one and sent the replacement back) to put the sim in the other tray and noticed that the trays had the phone's info such as imei and serial #. So I ended up taking the sim out of one to the other tray to keep the trays matching the phones.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd push on that storage change, they may throw in an SD card. :p

Well, I just got back front the AT&T store. They said I'd have to call Asurion, for any complaints about the device I received.. although they did swap out the sim tray for me. At least that's fixed. :|

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure yet.. I'm still undecided. I finally finished reinstalling all my apps and fixing all my settings the way they were on the 1020.

I have indeed run into the 1520 bug that registers a scroll gesture as a touch..... Very annoying! And it appears the Cyan firmware has NOT fixed this...

Now for some camera testing..

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So I've decided that the 1520 takes good enough pictures for me. The Cyan firmware evidently fixes a lot of things in this regard, so I'm happy there... and I can buy a micro SD card for my storage (or lack thereof)...

I think all in all, I'm happy with my replacement phone. The improvements in speed and the beautiful screen make it a worthy upgrade!

Now... To find a decent looking case for this bad boy...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Day 3 with my Nokia 1520. Love this thing! Haven't been having and touch/tap/swipe phantom bugs at all.. And the battery is still at 43% since being unplugged this morning at 9am.

PLEX (my favorite movie streaming app on both my phone and Surface 2 tablet) plays my 1080p blu ray rips beautifully! The screen on this 1520 is simply amazing!

The camera takes pictures that are plenty good enough for me... though I will admit, I am still sad about my 1020.. looking at my camera grip and tripod adapter. Along with the Xenon flash, I also noticed something the 1520 doesn't have that the 1020 does; a mechanical shutter.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a case.. And a micro SD card. I think a 64GB will be plenty of space for me for a while. 128GB cards are still too expensive.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Turn on the phone and use the website to erase and lock
The only problem with that was on the site, I had two 1020s listed, with nothing to distinguish the two apart from one another. So I couldn't use that, because I may have wiped the wrong one.

If you haven't read the whole thread, I broke the 2nd 1020 already (broke the screen on the replacement phone in 3 weeks!!) and had to make ANOTHER claim... this time, they sent me a black 1520 which I am very happy with!

Now, since I'm obviously very clumsy, I really really need a case for this 1520! I can't break this one... as I've used up all my available claims for this 12 month period.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb