01-05-2015 02:55 PM
63 123
tools
    How can software fix things what is physical broken or defective.....
    I don't know but the theory has been around with TV's for years. Some people say it works. I never assume these types of things work, but it can't hurt. I think its better for "stuck" pixels.
    07-14-2014 07:31 PM
    burn in happens when you have static text or icons on an AMOLED for too long, the pixels get "stuck". By using an app that flashes many different colors and images, you are basically burning a neutral/solid image back on to the screen. It's quite simple actually :)
    07-14-2014 07:57 PM
    Your talking about reactivation of a stuck pixel...but when its really broke its broke.
    When its stuck it isn't really broke, matter of definitions ;)
    07-14-2014 08:20 PM
    try to soft reset, mostly because of the display memory
    07-15-2014 02:40 AM
    The same way software broke the screen!!!
    Moiz Mian likes this.
    07-15-2014 08:27 AM
    try to soft reset, mostly because of the display memory
    I've been wanting to do that anyways. What do you lose on a soft reset? Passwords? App logins? Anything?

Edit: Did a little searching. Seemed like a forced reboot, so I did it anyways, although I often shut my devices off. No change. Worth a shot.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 07-15-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    07-15-2014 08:42 AM
    I wonder if that Wiper app could be used as a preventative measure as well. I don't have any burn in on my Icon - but I'm sure it's possible.
    07-15-2014 08:56 AM
    Damn those are terrible burn ins, most likely you got sold a return or a demo unit. My L920 is 99% in mint condition.. no thanks to clove.co.uk for the testing and a paperclip.
    07-15-2014 10:06 AM
    burn in happens when you have static text or icons on an AMOLED for too long, the pixels get "stuck". By using an app that flashes many different colors and images, you are basically burning a neutral/solid image back on to the screen. It's quite simple actually :)
    Pixels don't get "stuck" on an AMOLED display, the pixels "burn" the phosphor coating on the screen due to prolonged exposure. Pixels can (rarely) get stuck or dead on LCD displays, and apps like the Wiper one are supposed to be used for that.
    07-15-2014 10:13 AM
    They should have expected this to happen. Return the phone immediately!
    07-15-2014 11:14 AM
    Demo 1020s are often funny to watch. Few weeks back I saw this one 1020 that had a HUGE burn-in from some popup (something like the "can this app use your location?") permission request.
    07-15-2014 11:22 AM
    They should have expected this to happen. Return the phone immediately!
    Not sure its worth it. I could get worse problems with a refurb replacement. I have no intentions on selling this device, as of now. Its a perfect vacation phone, as I use AT&T Next and have to return my newer phones.

If I knew for a fact, id get a brand new phone, I'd be more inclined to return it. Even then I could get a lemon. I think the warranty on a replaced device is 60 days? I don't really think it's worth the gamble. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 07-15-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    07-15-2014 11:29 AM
    I agree. If you splashed bleach onto a piece of coloured fabric, the only way to disguise it would be to bleach the remaining areas to the same degree. Fabric is one thing, but you don't want to deliberately burn the good areas of the screen until they match the original burnt areas. (Well, I suppose you might, but it's pretty desperate.)

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    07-15-2014 01:38 PM
    Not sure its worth it. I could get worse problems with a refurb replacement. I have no intentions on selling this device, as of now. Its a perfect vacation phone, as I use AT&T Next and have to return my newer phones.

If I knew for a fact, id get a brand new phone, I'd be more inclined to return it. Even then I could get a lemon. I think the warranty on a replaced device is 60 days? I don't really think it's worth the gamble. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me.
    Warranty on a replacement is 90 days. I would replace it. The ATT replacements are usually in like-new condition. I would definitely replace it if the wiper app is useless
    07-15-2014 01:51 PM
    Pixels don't get "stuck" on an AMOLED display, the pixels "burn" the phosphor coating on the screen due to prolonged exposure. Pixels can (rarely) get stuck or dead on LCD displays, and apps like the Wiper one are supposed to be used for that.
    Thanks for the clarification :)
    07-15-2014 01:52 PM
    If I haven't seen this thread I would have not notice this .. It somehow annoying now >.<
    07-15-2014 09:22 PM
    1020..just noticed this now after seeing this thread...same circles as well as large Circles at bottom from I believe Waze...makes sense as it is a driving app..screen can be on for hours with two consistent circles at bottom..perfect for burn in. Kind of annoying...seems like a slight change to app design in general could prevent this...alot of recent apps seem to have auto hiding bars at the bottom.that take the buttons off screen until needed...wish I had known as I probably would have been more conscious...oh well
    07-15-2014 09:42 PM
    However, all those 5-star reviews "by User" seem to come from a bot.
    07-16-2014 04:27 AM
    try this
    Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test
    ive used it for my ipad before
    07-16-2014 06:02 AM
    try this
    Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test
    ive used it for my ipad before
    IPads don't use AMOLED screens, what is physically burned down, can't be regenerated by software. As spread stated those software solutions only work on traditional LCD panels.
    To fix it on AMOLED, you'd have to get a new screen, either through a warranty repair or by replacing it yourself.
    hprvez likes this.
    07-16-2014 11:28 AM
    IPads don't use AMOLED screens, what is physically burned down, can't be regenerated by software. As spread stated those software solutions only work on traditional LCD panels.
    To fix it on AMOLED, you'd have to get a new screen, either through a warranty repair or by replacing it yourself.
    doesnt change facts because the retina display is a rebranded amoled screen at the end of the day hence it will help diagnose
    i never said itll help him repair the screen,itll help him identify if its got burn in,read what i wrote
    07-17-2014 04:13 AM
    doesnt change facts because the retina display is a rebranded amoled screen at the end of the day hence it will help diagnose
    i never said itll help him repair the screen,itll help him identify if its got burn in,read what i wrote
    Umm, Retina displays are LCD.
    07-17-2014 01:37 PM
    Umm, Retina displays are LCD.
    Apple's Retina displays are LCDs.
    Other "retinas" depend, its thrown around to refer to resolution outside of Apple land and doesn't have anything to do with the screen tech
    07-17-2014 01:54 PM
    I would return it for repair under Nokia Warranty if it is less than a year old.

I recently bought a 1020 on Gumtree (UK version of Craigslist) which after purchase, I discovered had what looked like water damage or burn in (I didn't notice it in the daylight outdoors when I bought it).

I sent it to Nokia for repair and they sent me a replacement which looks brand new. Very happy as I bought it very cheaply. Next Windows Phone I get will be full price or on contract since Nokia/Microsoft treat their customers great.
    07-17-2014 03:25 PM
    never happened to me on my 720 and my 820
    They don't have AMOLED screens, they have IPS LCD which is not affected by screen burn ins.

I've done a bit of Binging and it does look like screen burns are back via AMOLED technology. You'll be fine as long as you don't keep your screen on all the time. I wonder if that's why they didn't put Glance on the 930.
    07-18-2014 07:15 AM
63 123