Do many of you have screen burn in?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had it for a few months and my phone is only ~1yr old. In portrait mode, there are icon burnt in from like 6tag or any app that uses the 3 circle icon at the bottom. I don't even keep my display on long, as I'm aware burn in can be an issue. I can only see it on a white screen, so its not too bad.

Just curious though, is it common or did I get unlucky.

Open a fresh browser and turn your phone to landscape. Do you see burnt in images/icons on the side the charging port is located?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Burn in from what? How? Unless your phone was made at the Walmart factory, burn in occurs when he same image lingers for hours at a time. Does your phone never go black?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
BUdsy9v.jpg

fEBK601.jpg

ZguKJ9j.jpg

It's actually more visible in person. Hard to get a good picture with my phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of it before and I fear its more common than it may seem, (could just be my sort of minor paranoia for these kinds of things) I don't have a phone with the AMOLED tech the 1020 and most other flagships have, (920 with an LCD) so I can't see for myself.

EDIT: wow, thanks for the photos! Its these things that makes me reluctant to pick up an AMOLED phone.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've heard of it before and I fear its more common than it may seem, (could just be my sort of minor paranoia for these kinds of things) I don't have a phone with the AMOLED tech the 1020 and most other flagships have, (920 with an LCD) so I can't see for myself.

EDIT: wow, thanks for the photos! Its these things that makes me reluctant to pick up an AMOLED phone.

I have a 1020 with an AMOLED screen. All I do to prevent burn-ins is switching between light/dark theme and a few accent colour combinations every week. I also change my start screen config from time to time... And whenever I take a photo, people are just like, wow! the colours are so vibrant. And I have glance, too, and it consumes just a fraction of the battery as compared to an LCD. Having an AMOLED screen is not that bad...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point about switching from light to dark themes. I always use dark and those burnt in icons are bright white. I knew bright white could potentially damage the screen. I just hate how the home screen looks with the light theme. :(

It's sad though, because I'm well aware of burn in. It's not like I left my screen on for hours at a time, even. I think my screen timeout is 3 minutes... But those icon placements are nearly universal, which just means more time it could burn in.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So you just read the headline and not the rest? Lol

Dang. I sure didn't. Where are my manors? lol :) To answer the question after fully reading it...no I can't say I've seen this happen on any of the devices I own. I'll ask my son, the expert in the house if he's seen or heard of it. (He runs a blog on this stuff)

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That's a good point about switching from light to dark themes. I always use dark and those burnt in icons are bright white. I knew bright white could potentially damage the screen. I just hate how the home screen looks with the light theme. :(

It's sad though, because I'm well aware of burn in. It's not like I left my screen on for hours at a time, even. I think my screen timeout is 3 minutes... But those icon placements are nearly universal, which just means more time it could burn in.

Tried the app? Well, another suggestion is reduce your screen timeout to 30 s or 1 min.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Tried the app? Well, another suggestion is reduce your screen timeout to 30 s or 1 min.

I haven't yet. Its just a camera now. Haha. That's why I not overly concerned. I will try that App in a few days, I'm going to use that phone again when I go on vacation. I don't have Wifi at the moment.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've seen shockingly bad screen burn on store demo phones, but they're switched on all the time at maximum brightness, often with static images. No trace of burn on my 1020 but it's only two months old, though I've heard of it appearing that soon from another user. Perhaps yours was heavily used before you bought it.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My second Lumia 822 showed very faint signs of the tiles burnt in. Luckily the buttons were malfunctioning so I got it replaced.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine was brand new from Amazon Wireless/AT&T. :/

I also have had an ATT refurbished 1020 for about 8 months now, and I don't have any burn in, but like others have stated, i've seen really bad burn in on demo units, it seems possible that they sold you a demo unit if yours is pretty new. In any case, you should try the app that someone stated above. That looks like it could help!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have them also including three dots ???. 7 circles. WhatsApps Send-Attach-Smiles three strongly visible. I use WhatsApp alot, and always have had dark theme. As someone mentioned above white theme looks horrible on Start screen. I have 928 btw

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So AMOLED is more of an issue? I use a night clock at low intensity all night since release day of my icon. No issues. Not concerned about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett