1020 comes as 'Unlocked' on Microsoft Store US

rmkilc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Can someone with the new unlocked model from the Microsoft store tell me what the entire model number is? It can be found under extras + info, click more info, and its labeled manufacturer name. Mine from AT&T is RM-877_nam_att_205.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

weeNym

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Can someone with the new unlocked model from the Microsoft store tell me what the entire model number is? It can be found under extras + info, click more info, and its labeled manufacturer name. Mine from AT&T is RM-877_nam_att_205.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

From the box: Nokia RM-877 NA OM Black

Extras + Info Manufacturer Name: RM-877_nam_usa_957

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The device is completely unbranded.

Tethering does not work on T-Mobile. I tried it in the Microsoft Store. The usual well-known issue of "do you want to add tethering to your plan" etc. Also as per usual on unbranded devices, APN settings are hidden, forcing use of Access Point, which screws up T-MO tethering.

I have asked a seller to check the Nokia RM-877 NA_OM does say WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900 on the box so it should support T-Mobile 3G.

So, any unbranded phone will not work with T-Mobile Tethering? (if that doesn't work, I will keep my 920 from Rogers which Tethering works perfectly fine on T-Mobile)
1020 from Rogers is the only one that can support T-Mobile 3G and tethering?

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've got tethering working on my unlocked 1020.
It started working after I upgraded to cyan.

Many thanks for quick reply.
Just to make sure, both MMS and tethering are working for you?
I remembered on Lumia 900 or 920, if I used that Access Point to change APN, either MMS or tethering would not work.

ShlomoX

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that the unlocked/ unbranded 1020 at the Microsoft Store does tether successfully on T-Mobile with cyan.

Just picked up unlocked/unbranded 1020 from Microsoft Store physical location and came with cyan out of the box. Also just signed up for T-Mobile promo family plan unlimited data + 5 gb hotspot. When I toggle on internet sharing on the 1020 it toggles off and tells me I need to upgrade my plan. The other phone on the plan is an android and the hotspot works fine, I would try switching sim cards but the phones use different sizes, but I really don't think that's it cause when I logon to the T-Mobile account it shows both lines as having unlimited data + 5 gb hotspot.

So I've been reading these threads for a few days and have seen the other threads re access point and international sim cards. I don't know if this is weird or not but when using the store on the phone I remember searching for access point and finding it. Now when I search access point no longer shows up. Then when I did an ie search and click on it it brings me to the app in the store where it says I already have it on my phone. Who knows I could have downloaded it but don't remember doing so.

One reason I got lost was when I looked for access point in the list of apps it's not there, but instead under settings. Is that where it should be and if so are you able to delete it from there (like done in the intl sim procedure) because I don't see any way.

I'm new to windows phone and the phone is for my wife she's all about the camera, this fit the bill and the price was a pleasant surprise. She loves the home screen with the transparent tiles and it is pretty cool haven't really even played around with the camera much yet, and I really hope that she gets great results on the auto setting cause that's the only way that's going to work for her lol.

I knew she wouldn't have wifi calling with T-Mobile but no tethering will make it hard. It's something she'll use especially when traveling but that could be a problem if she loses hotspot ability when shutting the phone off to get on an airplane cause for sure she's not going to do the intl sim reset when she turns the phone back on..ever..that would be left to me but if I'm not there hotspot can't be used and so it's almost too much trouble.

My real hope for internet sharing is that you set it and forget it or that it supposed to work with cyan (as the quoted post affirms and maybe 'tai4de2' if he sees this post has an idea) but currently that's not happening with mine.

Any thoughts much appreciated (btw I just ordered and O2 UK prepaid sim on ebay and not really sure what to do with it when it arrives lol) thanks!

sarthakm

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's also unlocked in Canada.

Had the Rogers RM-877 model before (locked). Bought one from the Microsoft store online and the model that arrived was the RM-877 unlocked.

ShlomoX

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
So as to my wordy post above, checked phone for an update (not the first time) and there it was. After update still cyan, then went to internet sharing toggled it on and boom it worked! Wow hoped for but unexpected thank you microsoft!

Just an fyi I had seen the att unlocked 1020 online for $340 and went to a microsoft store location to see it. Sitting next to it was an unbranded/unlocked 1020 for $300. Hadn't seen that model online and didn't know it existed but when I saw it that was the one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa