If I unbrand my phone (change ROM), would updates run as released by Microsoft/Nokia??

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I bought a "Rogers" Nokia Lumia 1020, had it unlocked, and I now use Wind as my provider. However I still had to wait for Rogers to release the Lumia Black update.

So now with Cyan starting to roll out, I had noticed over on XDA they have a ROM change that "Unbrands" your phone.....

If that was the case would Updates trigger from Microsoft/Nokia or would it still fall to a network??????

I am just asking, as I am not 100% sure I want to risk bricking my phone.....I haven't changed a rom since my HTC HD2. Changing ROMs on that was almost bullet proof....now I am a little more nervous.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I bought a "Rogers" Nokia Lumia 1020, had it unlocked, and I now use Wind as my provider. However I still had to wait for Rogers to release the Lumia Black update.

So now with Cyan starting to roll out, I had noticed over on XDA they have a ROM change that "Unbrands" your phone.....

If that was the case would Updates trigger from Microsoft/Nokia or would it still fall to a network??????

I am just asking, as I am not 100% sure I want to risk bricking my phone.....I haven't changed a rom since my HTC HD2. Changing ROMs on that was almost bullet proof....now I am a little more nervous.

The process is no different than the HD2 or any WM device from days of old. You can't unlock (overwrite) the boot loader on any WP8 devices yet, and since the boot loader is what does the flashing, bricking by flashing ROM is, as it has always been, near impossible.

That said, the above poster is right, just use the dev preview. Hard resetting before and after you install 8.1 will probably reduce the chances of experiencing bugs in 8.1, but the chances of that are low anyway.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The device's firmware determines where the phone gets its updates.

An originally AT&T device with the original AT&T firmware will only get its update from AT&T regardless of current carrier.
My AT&T 920 has been flashed to a French unbranded ROM. (It acts as if it was bought unlocked in France) The firmware isn't tied to a carrier, so it gets updates direct despite being on AT&T service.
Your 822 only came in Verizon, so there's only one firmware, if I understand right, so your update will come from Verizon.

mohawk apple

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about this myself, mine is unlocked unbranded and I'm using it with bell mobility and they have never even sold this phone before. So will i still get the Cyan update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss