So again, idiotic reasoning has taken over the newspaper propaganda. This is pure bull ****, and shows how much Apple pays for things to be published.
    I can find no article to explain why iPhone 5s or Xperia Z1 won over Lumia 1020 in this category, though I have to say the Sony proves to be worthy competition.
    capture.jpg

Source: DL Awards 2014 | The Straits Times
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    07-20-2014 12:36 AM
    Not sure but iPhone 5S can record slow motion video at 120fps in 720pHD where as Lumia 1020 does not support such fps.
    07-20-2014 12:47 AM
    So again, idiotic reasoning has taken over the newspaper propaganda. This is pure bull ****, and shows how much Apple pays for things to be published.
    I can find no article to explain why iPhone 5s or Xperia Z1 won over Lumia 1020 in this category, though I have to say the Sony proves to be worthy competition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	72545

Source: DL Awards 2014 | The Straits Times
    This is a "reader's choice" award for the iPhone. Which I assume means people voted and considering the iPhone is far more popular, no surprise that it won. It also has a surprisingly decent camera actually. I've never owned a 1020 but have used one and the iPhone 5s takes much faster pictures. The 1020 gives far better quality with a properly composed and adjusted shot, but for spontaneous shots, the iPhone's continuous-focus wins out.

Also, this is a Straits thing, so I assume it's Singapore only. I don't think the 1020 was officially released, at least it's not listed on The smartphone reinvented around you | Windows Phone (Singapore)
    07-20-2014 12:48 AM
    This is a "reader's choice" award for the iPhone. Which I assume means people voted and considering the iPhone is far more popular, no surprise that it won. It also has a surprisingly decent camera actually. I've never owned a 1020 but have used one and the iPhone 5s takes much faster pictures. The 1020 gives far better quality with a properly composed and adjusted shot, but for spontaneous shots, the iPhone's continuous-focus wins out.

Also, this is a Straits thing, so I assume it's Singapore only. I don't think the 1020 was officially released, at least it's not listed on The smartphone reinvented around you | Windows Phone (Singapore)
    Good to hear your views. 1020 was officially released in Singapore early October 2013, not sure why its not in the URL given.
    07-20-2014 12:54 AM
    Check out the GSMArena comparison review. I think it is the most honest review. But there, Lumia 1020 lost in video recording, which is just a shame. I remember the times of N9 and Lumia 800 where, 720p videos from these phones were upscaled and used to compare with 1080p videos of Android flagships and still Nokia videos were better. Don't know what happened to Nokia. Even the 930 and 1520 can't rival 920. Maybe, it has to do something with Damian Dinning leaving Nokia. Don't know.

Sent by Cortana on my request from awesome red Lumia 920!
    xandros9 and John20212 like this.
    07-20-2014 01:08 AM
    As above it was the readers choice, meaning simply popular with the public.

Video recording is something I feel the 1020 falls over on. I mean, why no 60fps let alone 120fps. If my 110 action camera can do 120fps at 720p why can't my 450 phone/camera hybrid?

I reckon software tweaks would allow it but it just hasn't happened be it OS locks or simply to show an "improved" product when they release a new phone with high speed recording. That is after all what Nintendo did with the Wii, it could play DVDs they just disabled it so when they released the WiiU they could market it as a new feature.
    07-20-2014 08:42 AM
    Not sure but iPhone 5S can record slow motion video at 120fps in 720pHD where as Lumia 1020 does not support such fps.

I'm curious why this is such a prized feature, do people actually watch their videos at these speeds or is it just a gimmick, cos I can't remember the last time I watched or rented a film that was shot like this.
    07-20-2014 09:06 AM
    It's useful in some situations and give you a smoother video at the expense of that traditional film look, and it can be motion sickness inducing in come cases. Generally you would shoot at 60fps for action and play back at 60fps, but 120 fps you would play back at either 60 or 30 fps depending on how slow you want motion to appear, and even more so for 240fps. It's useful for action shots but not a lot else.
    07-20-2014 09:16 AM
    I'm curious why this is such a prized feature, do people actually watch their videos at these speeds or is it just a gimmick, cos I can't remember the last time I watched or rented a film that was shot like this.
    Gimmick. But the outcome looks cool.
    Guytronic and S Vaibhav like this.
    07-20-2014 09:39 AM
    The Lumia 1020 would definitely manage to take a much better shot than the iPhone if the shot is composed properly and the phone is held properly, as the shutter speed is quite slow.

The iPhone wins in this regard primarily because of the speed, color accuracy and better video recording. For an average Joe who doesn't have the time to adjust his shots before taking them, iPhone 5S wins.As far as 60 or 120 FPS recording goes, the Lumia 1020's hardware is quite old and does not support video recording at such high frame rates.However phones like the Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520 and 930 do have processors capable of recording at 120 FPS but it has not been implemented.This could be either the laziness of the Nokia devs or the existing Lumia camera sensors do not support 120 FPS capture.

Sent from my SVF15218SGB using Tapatalk
    Loco5150 and cjono like this.
    07-21-2014 04:30 AM
    My wife is very confident her iPhone 5S beats my 1020 in picture quality...mind you in bright light settings her phone does an extremely good job where my phone trumps it in every other area.
    07-21-2014 09:44 AM
    My wife is very confident her iPhone 5S beats my 1020 in picture quality...mind you in bright light settings her phone does an extremely good job where my phone trumps it in every other area.

iPhone can use ISO 32 whereas Lumia has the lowest of ISO 100, the lower ISO helps it in bright light.

There is just one other place where iPhone performs better, white balance. Sometimes the 1020 casts a whitish hue on certain photos.

1020 is a very capable shooter and it makes up for the slow speed with sharpness and customisation.
    chezm and Himanshu Chowdhary like this.
    07-21-2014 11:23 AM
    Let's talk about the software side. iPhone camera UI is very basic. After so many years they some how revamped it in iOS 7 with adding filters (not available on all devices , it can be via jailbreak :D ). Nokia camera smokes iPhone camera. One can adjust shutter speed , manual focus ,ISO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    S Vaibhav, palandri and Guytronic like this.
    07-21-2014 11:33 AM
    IPhone doesn't have a camera shutter button.... This proved that was never meant to replace a camera. I like the fact that I can take a picture from my Lumia without even touching the screen. :)
    07-21-2014 11:54 AM
    IPhone doesn't have a camera shutter button.... This proved that was never meant to replace a camera. I like the fact that I can take a picture from my Lumia without even touching the screen. :)
    You can use the volume rocker for shutter press, it may not be dedicated but a nice alternative.
    07-21-2014 11:56 AM
    Check out the GSMArena comparison review. I think it is the most honest review. But there, Lumia 1020 lost in video recording, which is just a shame. I remember the times of N9 and Lumia 800 where, 720p videos from these phones were upscaled and used to compare with 1080p videos of Android flagships and still Nokia videos were better. Don't know what happened to Nokia. Even the 930 and 1520 can't rival 920. Maybe, it has to do something with Damian Dinning leaving Nokia. Don't know.

Sent by Cortana on my request from awesome red Lumia 920!
    It most likely the 920 has a lower F stop f/2.0 compared to f/2.4 in the 930 and 1520.. I was really disappointed when I found that out. I was hoping for the same f stop or lower.

Also MS have removed the preview option in the Camera app, another case of fixing what is not broken.

Going back to topic, the other reason why the iphone 5s won is the speed of the camera app (not to mention shot to shot times). Since Phones have become replacements of point and shoots, never the less using the 1020 as primarily as a point and shoot is really not utilizing its full potential. However the 1020 would have greatly benefited from a faster and efficient SOC thus making the all around ultimate camera phone (combined with a mSD slot and the camera grip - [integrated qi is neither here or there as many people don't use wireless charging]).

I wonder WP8 supported OTG would they have included an mSD slot in the Camera grip?
    07-21-2014 12:30 PM
    Like many have said, more readers are likely to have experience with iPhone than 1020. Another thing is that there are things the 1020 isnt that good at, shot-to-shot time being probably the most prominent thing. Another thing is that in a few scenarios the iPhone likely takes better shots on auto settings than the 1020, but no doubt given the right settings (that the iPhone doesnt even have) 1020 can outdo the iPhone in every scenario except that shot-to-shot time.

I dont know about Xperia Z1, but at least the Z2 didn't really get favorable reviews for it's camera just about anywhere.
    07-21-2014 01:36 PM
    i find that daylight photos on my new 1520 are quite a bit better than on my trusty 920, sharper and clearer with better colors (all this is on auto btw), 920 seems to do better in low light, the 920 camera performance has been degraded imho, from what it once was, a highly unusual turn of events for any unit, where firmware should make things better....it's almost like its been made deliberately worse!
    07-21-2014 04:59 PM

Despite Apple not providing a dedicated shutter button nor claiming that the iPhone's camera was a point and shoot replacement, most tech sites say that the iPhone 5S has the best camera out there.

Where the iPhone lacks in customisation and dedicated hardware it more than makes up for with it's ability to take photos while recording video and the 120 FPS slow-mo capture.

Basically to sum up this argument:

For the average Joe --> iPhone 5S's camera wins.

For the enthusiast willing to tweak his shots --> Lumia 1020 or 1520

For people who shoot a lot of action on their phones --> LG G3 or Galaxy S5, maybe HTC One M8 as well.
    07-21-2014 06:20 PM
    For people who shoot a lot of action on their phones --> LG G3 or Galaxy S5, maybe HTC One M8 as well.
    I havent been Android fan even though I've owned a nexus 7 and GS3, but I was impressed by the G2 and even more impressed by the G3. I saw the comparison of amoled (gs5) and led (g3), man the amoled is a huge difference...i don't know if id invest in led instead. But man the G3 is a nice looking phone.

Anyway, it seems that if your response about the best type of phone applies, G3 would be a perfect fit for my preference. Why is it good for action, the 1020 and even 920 were not good at all for action. I'm a newb with a used 1020, sue me lol.
    Last edited by chezm; 07-21-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    07-21-2014 07:39 PM
    Video recording is something I feel the 1020 falls over on. I mean, why no 60fps let alone 120fps. If my 110 action camera can do 120fps at 720p why can't my 450 phone/camera hybrid?
    The only feature I cared about the iPhone 5s camera is the dual LED flash to control colour temperature. Everything else is probably in the margin of tolerance among top end models from all brands.
    (Bluish) white LED colour temperature look sick for portrait. Sticking coloured gel works, maybe. But the problem is guessing which warming filter to use.
    07-21-2014 11:46 PM
    I havent been Android fan even though I've owned a nexus 7 and GS3, but I was impressed by the G2 and even more impressed by the G3. I saw the comparison of amoled (gs5) and led (g3), man the amoled is a huge difference...i don't know if id invest in led instead. But man the G3 is a nice looking phone.

Anyway, it seems that if your response about the best type of phone applies, G3 would be a perfect fit for my preference. Why is it good for action, the 1020 and even 920 were not good at all for action. I'm a newb with a used 1020, sue me lol.

The Galaxy S5 and LG G3 have dedicated Isocell and Laser sensors, respectively.

Allowing them to get focus of speed of 278 and 300 ms. The HTC One M8 also has a focus speed of 300 ms but that is because it has a very low megapixel count and a very powerful processor.

The Lumia 1020 is the opposite it uses a weaker processor that can barely handle the 41 MP sensor.
    chezm likes this.
    07-22-2014 04:28 AM