Better shot-to-shot time after Cyan update for L1020

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
As almost everyone who is L1020 owner has the problem of very big shot-to-shot time. I mean the saving time for every photo it's too long and it often to miss the moment. Stop it's there any chance after Cyan update this problem to be resolved? I am asking because my friends with L925 says that their device is responding very fast.

P.S. When I installed Nokia Camera Beta the application is starting faster. For about 3 seconds which is much better than 6.1 seconds with non-beta version.
Sent from my RM-875_eu_hungary_298 using Tapatalk

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
U can try using burst mode ....iam on 8.1 dp...official cya is not yet released for 1020....
Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It has been said processing time for pictures of all Pureview devices has been improved with Cyan. However in case of the 1020 a reduction from 4.4 secs to 4.1 secs can also be called a reduction - even if it doesn't really matter in real life.

The 925 should have faster image processing per se due to the fact it only deals with 8mp instead of 41mp.

I don't think the way the 1020 is constructed and Nokia managed to make it work under Windows Phone would allow any further miracles in terms of processing speed.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Though Cyan may improve this situation, don't expect any miracles. The Snapdragon S4 processor being used in 1020 can barely manage the 41 Megapixel camera.

The Microsoft camera is faster because it snaps 5 megapixel shots whereas Nokia Camera takes uncompressed 30+ MP shots.

So you have to choose between quality or speed.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

zxli

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
As I said in another thread. After Windows Phone 8.1 for Lumia 1020 is officially released, things might get better (if Microsoft/Nokia implements proper firmware). Windows Phone 8.1 supports asynchronous encoding after taking a shot. Since Lumia 1020 has 2GB memory, in theory it is capable of taking several high (if not full) resolution shots and encode them in the background so you may feel less lagging effect between shots.

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know but maybe it will be better. I hope that this will be fixed but I am thinking of Lumia 925. I doubt know if it will be good replace for my Lumia 1020. I am not pretending on full 41 MP photos.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As I said in another thread. After Windows Phone 8.1 for Lumia 1020 is officially released, things might get better (if Microsoft/Nokia implements proper firmware). Windows Phone 8.1 supports asynchronous encoding after taking a shot. Since Lumia 1020 has 2GB memory, in theory it is capable of taking several high (if not full) resolution shots and encode them in the background so you may feel less lagging effect between shots.

Is that a public API? async encoding? I mean, the last few years of iphones and android phones have supported that feature, so I'm happy it's here, but I still haven't seen any apps which support this yet. Do you know of any?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Is that a public API? async encoding? I mean, the last few years of iphones and android phones have supported that feature, so I'm happy it's here, but I still haven't seen any apps which support this yet. Do you know of any?

What makes you think Android and iPhone use Async Encoding? Just saying that most Android companies and Apple give the phone a camera that the processor can handle, so Async Encoding isn't needed.

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Nokia will not fix this problem cause there will be L1030. L1020's lifecycle will end soon, so it will not be a fix for sure. If it will have it will be a miracle...as I read the processor is not capable of handling such a mosnter like 41 MP sensor...ops...it is 5 MP, but it shoots 6 more images simultaneously to create one mega shot.

zxli

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Refer to MediaCapture class in MSDN. It supports capturing picture in RGB format. Right now the API call for RGB data does nothing on Lumia 1020.

Also refer this page. Search for "Applications that delay encoding allow the capture pipeline to run without bottlenecks".
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/.../Camera_pipeline_updates_in_Windows_Phone_8.1

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Since Cyan has been released in some countries, maybe those users could chime in about camera performance?
Cyan has yet to be released for the Lumia 1020. When I played around with the Cyan-preloaded 930 earlier on, the shot time was roughly 1/3 or even 1/4 of what the 1020 does. So quite an improvement. However the device has only half the megapixels to process and of course has a much more modern CPU. Considering all this I still doubt we'll see any kind of serious improvement.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe Nokia will not fix this problem cause there will be L1030. L1020's lifecycle will end soon, so it will not be a fix for sure. If it will have it will be a miracle...as I read the processor is not capable of handling such a mosnter like 41 MP sensor...ops...it is 5 MP, but it shoots 6 more images simultaneously to create one mega shot.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat... You serious?

You are confusing this with Oppo Find 7 ==

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
ops...it is 5 MP, but it shoots 6 more images simultaneously to create one mega shot.
What nonsense! It is one massive 41 MP sensor. It doesn't combine 5 MP images to give that 'mega shot'. Please educate yourself.

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Though Cyan may improve this situation, don't expect any miracles. The Snapdragon S4 processor being used in 1020 can barely manage the 41 Megapixel camera.

The Microsoft camera is faster because it snaps 5 megapixel shots whereas Nokia Camera takes uncompressed 30+ MP shots.

So you have to choose between quality or speed.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

The S4 processor didn't support 41 MP cameras at all. Nokia collaborated with Qualcomm, rewriting the chip's imaging part to make everything work. And Microsoft camera is fast because it doesn't save the hi-res shots. It doesn't magically take 5 MP photos. A 41 MP image is always taken. Nokia camera has the dual-shooting feature which makes it slow. And a store app, 'Camera 1020', captures hi-res shots at the same speed as Microsoft Camera because of single-capture.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What makes you think Android and iPhone use Async Encoding? Just saying that most Android companies and Apple give the phone a camera that the processor can handle, so Async Encoding isn't needed.

That's not true. While I agree that the 1020 has an older processor, I've seen how the iphone 4 with an even OLDER (single core) processor takes HDR photos. When you snap the photo, it instantly takes the picture and you're free to use the phone again. But if you go to the camera roll, you'll see a spinning circle around the photo you just took until it's done processing.

KerkedAgain

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

indeed. Both your app (Camera 1020) and OneShot seem to do this quite well. You can take the full-res picture(s) in succession, but it won't show in the photo gallery until it's through rendering. Hopefully Microsoft implements those changes into the ProCam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234