My Surface Pro 3 Pen Works on my Lumia 1020's Screen

Camden Krupala

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity I took my Surface Pro 3 pen and tried to write with it on my Lumia 1020 in Freshpaint. To me surprise it actually worked and quite well. Has anybody else tried this? I feel like it technically shouldn't work as the 1020 doesn't have an N-Trig Digitizer, so I feel like there is something else at work. Can anybody explain this?

Thanks!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hummmm I wonder if this will work with my Acer W3.....I have a fat end stylus but I am not happy with it.

Does it use Blue tooth 4.0???? I wonder if any features can be exploited on Phones and Tablets.

O.P. Any chance you can post samples from One note and Fresh Paint???????????

Can the Pen be bought separate?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Futureshop has them for $49 (Can), but I would like to know ahead of time if the Bluetooth features can be exploited........

Use on my Nokia 1020, Acer w3, Surface RT..........at least better then the $9(Can) stylus I have now.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Futureshop has them for $49 (Can), but I would like to know ahead of time if the Bluetooth features can be exploited........

Use on my Nokia 1020, Acer w3, Surface RT..........at least better then the $9(Can) stylus I have now.
Nah... this is purely a coincidence that happened just out of the material being just conductive enough so it registers activity with it's tip when it touches capacitive screens.

No BT bonuses, no palm blocking, no levels of pressure sensitivity, and it's still not as accurate as using it on a screen that's got a dedicated digitizer.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Nah... this is purely a coincidence that happened just out of the material being just conductive enough so it registers activity with capacitive screens.

No BT bonuses, no palm blocking, and it's still not as accurate as using it on a screen that's got a dedicated digitizer.

Yes but if it works better then the fat soft cheepy I have now it would still be worth it.....I figured there would be no palm rejection, and more then likely no quick access to one note, just how well it acts on the screen. I have often wanted to try the Dell one also to see if it works any better then the fat nose ones.

Korey_R

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you that the Sony pen (which is also N-Trig) does NOT work. I have not tried the Dell one. Honestly, I think it's just a coincidence that the SP3 pen works (as stated above), the material that it's made of is capacitive enough to work actually fairly well and fairly reliably on the phone. To put it in context, I would feel 100% comfortable using the stylus exclusively instead of touch, if I were interested in using a stylus all the time (I'm not). It works that well. I can tell you that Fresh Paint works extremely well with it. OneNote does not support stylus input on WP8.1 (at least that I could find. I do not have CYAN on mine yet but I'm not convinced it will make a difference).

The buttons on the bottom (back/home/search) also are responsive with the SP3 pen which is an added benefit.

As stated above, there are no ntrig drivers from Windows Phone so you do not get the added benefit of clicking the top button for OneNote, palm blocking, or use of the two buttons.

Pretty interesting find, all in all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb