[L1020] Could someone explain the 41 megapixel camera to me?

atbp1020

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
hello guys, i just got a lumia 1020 in exchange for my canon eos m, i decided to go for it because of its portability and yes my main interest is its camera.

please forgive me if this sounds stupid but i am confused about the 41 megapixel camera
i am searching on the internet but i dont get a direct answer from these questions

my first question is, is it true that the pictures you share on facebook or other websites are the the 5 megapixel jpegs?

if i will be connecting my camera to pc..am i going to see more than one copy of a single shot?

lets say i set my camera on 5mp+ 36mp

thanks guys and im glad i found this group

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes. You would see 2 files. The other would be large jpg or dng. 5 Mpx is quite large picture so if you want to send in by mail or post on Facebook It gets even smaller.
Sent from my RM-875_eu_poland_956 using Tapatalk

atbp1020

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes. You would see 2 files. The other would be large jpg or dng. 5 Mpx is quite large picture so if you want to send in by mail or post on Facebook It gets even smaller.

thanks rumpelst, so if i want to use the larger jpeg i have to connect my phone first to a pc?
then download it?
because im planning to use the picture as my desktop wallpaper.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The 5mp jpg is made from the 36 mp raw or jpg by oversampling it. It os for social media use as the larger file would be too big. The main 36 mp file is for printing, editing, and keeping. Shooting the larger file as a raw allows you to tweak more, but many don't own software that works with raw so you can save it as a jpg. The raw also is a lossless format so saving many times (as with backups) gives no loss as happens with jpg. And raw also allows esiting with no change to the original file as the edits are saved as notes. Very handy.

atbp1020

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been shooting in raw format on my previous camera (eos m and lx5) im so glad i can still do that with my lumia 1020

im a big fan of VSCO and since theres no vsco cam for windows, i will still use the vsco lightroom presets

atbp1020

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
oh yeah you were all correct, i used one of my photos taken from the camera and set it as a desktop background, really cool because i have three monitors in one.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have found that with ProShot, the larger picture is uploaded to OneDrive instead of the smaller pics which doesn't happen in Nokia Camera.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
hello guys, i just got a lumia 1020 in exchange for my canon eos m, i decided to go for it because of its portability and yes my main interest is its camera.

please forgive me if this sounds stupid but i am confused about the 41 megapixel camera
i am searching on the internet but i dont get a direct answer from these questions

my first question is, is it true that the pictures you share on facebook or other websites are the the 5 megapixel jpegs?

if i will be connecting my camera to pc..am i going to see more than one copy of a single shot?

lets say i set my camera on 5mp+ 36mp

thanks guys and im glad i found this group
By default yes the photos you share on social networks will be 5 megapixel jpgs however if you want to E-mail someone the uncompressed 38 MP shots you could use the app called 'HD Photo Viewer'.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
You are not able to email uncompressed picture cause it is too large. DNG which us uncompressed format will have 34 to 41 Mb depending on ratio. You can only email full ress JPG. 5 Mpx is also not a format just for social sharing it is creme de la creme of this camera. Nokia came to conclusion that this size is best for pictures display on computer and TV screens. They put much effort to create best algorithm to shrink large picture to better smaller. Algorithm carefully choose each pixel from that 41 million palette to create sharper and less noisy 5 million pixel picture. You can count how many pixels you have on the screen and usually get to conclusion that it's number is less than 5 million and that displaying 34 million picture on it is pointless and degrades sharpness of pictures. 5 mpx is not for social sharing. Lumia creates smaller pictures for that automatically when you send one or post on facebook.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Be aware that Windows Phone is unable to email even the 5mp pictures. It compresses them down to a lousy 200-300kb (vs 1.4mb original). For the record the iPhone allows the option to email its 8mp pictures full size.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for providing the help but that is very complicated and requires the use of an extra paid app. I guess it's better than nothing but that is hardly user friendly. Oh and by the way, I am actually only concerned with emailing the full-size 5mp (oversampled) pictures.

Actually really easy. Just need to set up your email once. Took like 1 minute.
From then on just need to select the file and email? That's not hard! ;)

You can use Metromail to email 5mp images.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
blue1k, you have done the WP community a service by showing how to do this. However, it is still terrible that the OS itself cannot email full size pictures. It means a person has to jump out of photos or camera and remember to go to another app. It is not user-friendly for average people and shows that Windows Phone is feature-poor compared to the other operating systems.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
blue1k, you have done the WP community a service by showing how to do this. However, it is still terrible that the OS itself cannot email full size pictures. It means a person has to jump out of photos or camera and remember to go to another app. It is not user-friendly for average people and shows that Windows Phone is feature-poor compared to the other operating systems.

Ya I agree but I remember how long it took IOS to get copy paste and the ability to email full resolution too. 😉 WP isn't as mature so some features are still sadly missing. 😞

But my option still is awesome for sharing large jpegs :)

I just wish the stock email app was better.

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
And... I forgot. You can set automatic backup to OneDrive and stare It through it. Question is why you need to sens big jpgs by email ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos