Lumia 1020 digitiser

t1grm

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I?ve just smashed the glass on my Lumia 1020. The screen and digitiser are fine. I?ve found loads of videos about splitting the glass from the screen but nothing about the digitiser. Where is the digitiser? Is it part of the glass? I have found lots of hits on eBay for glass with no digitiser. So if I just split the glass from the screen and fit a new glass will that work or will I have no digitiser? Can I buy the glass and digitiser with no screen? I haven?t been able to find one. I have only been able to find glass only or a complete glass/digitiser/screen assembly (about 10 times the price). I have no issues changing the glass from the videos. It looks straight forward and I?ve done similar. I?m just worried about ending up with no digitiser.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
1. The glass is the digitizer.

2.Splitting the glass from the screen is TOUGH. When these device are manufactured, the glass & screen are bonded together with INDUSTRIAL ADHESIVE.

3.When you order the combo kits from ebay, the two pieces are not bonded. they are LIGHTLY glued together. Because of that fact, the glass sits slightly above the frame. In other words, it doesn't sit flush. You d get used to it but it never looks or feels quite the way it used to. Also be aware that many of these eBay kits use a lower grade glass rather than Gorilla.

I don't mean to get you down about repairing your phone. However please be aware. The repair is laborious and the end result is functional, but usually a far cry from restored.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you'd be better off paying Nokia for a refurbished 1020. Either that, or getting a new phone til your next upgrade, perhaps a 635?

t1grm

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi, are you sure about point 1. For example this item says it is just the glass and not the digitiser:

"Please Note: This is ONLY FRONT GLASS ; There is No Digitizer, No LCD, No Flex Cable with this item"

So if the digitiser is not part of the glass and not part of the screen where is it because I can only see the two parts in the videos.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, are you sure about point 1. For example this item says it is just the glass and not the digitiser:

"Please Note: This is ONLY FRONT GLASS ; There is No Digitizer, No LCD, No Flex Cable with this item"

So if the digitiser is not part of the glass and not part of the screen where is it because I can only see the two parts in the videos.

Having repaired several phones over the preceding 6 years, every phone I've ever fixed has had the digitizer affixed to or embedded within the glass. But it's a moot ******* point. Because the point is is you will need to get the entire assembly if you are to do it yourself.

What the videos don't explain is that they are using parts off eBay that are NOT BONDED together but LIGHTLY GLUED. The fact that you are having so much trouble understanding this should be reason enough not to waste $130 and several hours to achieve a result that is far from perfect. Standard repair rates from the manufacturer usually run 200 bucks + shipping for a broken screen. They'll send you a refurbished phone or maybe even a new phone. Worth the extra $75 IMO.

Or you could always sell the busted 1020 and buy a 635 til your next upgrade. That is your call.

t1grm

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Glass is ?5, full screen is ?85, out of warranty repair is ?125 (plus no phone for three weeks). Might not be a difference to you but it is to me. I only need the phone to last until my next upgrade. It doesn't have to be perfect. I have purchased the glass and found a video of how to split the screen and glass so will go that route. If it doesn't work I can just buy a full screen and I have only wasted ?5 on the glass. Worth the risk IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos