UK 8.1 update

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Think my phone is updating to 8.1. Uk factory unlocked currently on 3. Spinning cogs at the moment.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Think my phone is updating to 8.1. Uk factory unlocked currently on 3. Spinning cogs at the moment.

Me too. Seems like I've been waiting a lifetime for this update but as long as it goes smoothly, it will be worth the wait.

Looking forward to the new action centre, word flow, BT 4.0 LE, burst mode, IE11, tile and ui changes and much more.

Feels like Christmas....I just hope it doesn't feel like the crappy socks and scarf presents when unwrapped!

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Me too folks.. Yellow Lumia 1020 CV GB here.. Just finished installing and setting up Cyan.. FINALLY.. Its nice too.

Enjoy Folks :)

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Argh... Left it downloading last night and this morning it says ready to update, updated again and it's stuck on 60% install. Really worried, I'm away for 3 weeks from tomorrow and need my phone to be working.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
62%...my nerves are in shreds lol. This is taking an age.

Psyfreaki- I didn't have DP installed, so can't help there.

...drums fingers nervously...nearly been an hour and it's still not done!

Last edited:

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally there. It appears to have updated all my apps, as I had 79 updates outstanding it's not surprising it took so long!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So how is the Cyan experience going for the other 1020 users in the UK?

Must admit, I'm loving it! Had a little play with Cortana after switching to US regional and language settings. Was impressed with what it/she could do as I didn't think I'd have much use for a personal assistant app after using a few others. Still not sure I'd use it much but looking forward to the full UK release.

Love the new notifications. Small changes like that make a big difference for me. I'm just amazed it took so long to get to WP but better late than never.

The Start Background is great. Looks amazing on some of the photos I have taken with the 1020. Not sure on the more tiles feature but it may just be a case of getting used to the idea of having a new layout before getting the most from it.

Just found a tap to pay feature in the NFC settings. It states that I need to payment SIM for it to work..not sure if I have one of those so will call my carrier.

The Device Hub looks great. I'm definitely going to be using that quite a bit.

Also liking the new music and video players. Being able to track forwards and backwards just by tapping the timeline of a media file makes a huge difference.

App Store changes are excellent.

The Microsoft Camera app is very good. Not sure it will make me change from Nokia Camera but it's nice to have burst mode available.

It's also outstanding to finally have my bookmarks in IE11 on the phone!

Then there's the word flow keyboard. Bit gimmicky as it was with Swype on Symbian and other platforms but it will probably get some use.

I'm sure there's more but these are my initial thoughts.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Loving wordflow and the fact that emoticons come up with the word predictions -I've been missing Swype
Like the full res auto upload for photos. Camera seems a little quicker. Also like the separate volume for apps and calls. Thought I would love the transparent tiles, but the effect is a little queasy, was also positive I'd use the extra tiles, but now I'm not sure.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
All your games are in the apps list now.

I'm aware of that. Bit of a design fault from MS there. My point was about the Games Hub taking a long time to open and populate my list of games in order of recent, xbox and other plus the other pages which are not available in the app list.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow you must know someone at Microsoft. People here in the states are wetting themselves thinking unlocked phones wont ever get the update. ;) Enjoy 8.1!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos