Just a heads up: Unlocked Lumia 1020 Phones in US may not be updated to 8.1

WPGeek

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
To answer Blacklac's question the AT&T RM-877 has different firmware then the canadian ones of which there are telus and rogers variants, each with their own firmware, and that have AWS HSPA enabled, as well as having the "highest connection speed" menu. microsoft is also selling unlocked and unbranded RM-877 versions both in canada and the US at their stores.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The most obvious reason for this issue is that the US variant is simply too new and the morons involved dont know anything about it. It was only released a few months ago (2?) and with all the stuff happening at MS lately, its probably slipped through the cracks. I agree though, returning it is probably the best bet until the update situation is clarified by someone who knows what they are talking about. Or an actual update is released for it.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The most obvious reason for this issue is that the US variant is simply too new and the morons involved dont know anything about it. It was only released a few months ago (2?)
I would totally agree to that. Even if its not being updated, it can be flashed with other RM-877 ROM which gets Cyan & WP 8.1. DP anyways works on all.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I bought a unlocked and unbranded lumia 1020 at the Microsoft store 2 days ago, here in New Jersey.
I think we are receiving the 8.1 update.
I'm not sure what the process will be and who will be the one providing it, however, when I first booted the phone and checked for an update manually, an update was downloaded to my phone, took a while to download and install (over WiFi).
Since this phone is not carried by T-Mobile (which is my current prepaid provider), I would assume they don't have updates for a phone they don't carry.
So, if an update was available already for the phone, even if it's a minor update, this means that some server the phone is requesting this, and someone is providing it, Microsoft? Nokia? who knows...
I wish we would know for sure, how and when this would be available.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This article disagrees The full list (so far) of Lumia 520, Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020s eligible for Lumia Cyan update | Windows Phone Central.

Why would MS update the 1020 in some regions but not the US - their own home turf?
I think they must have got confused with the EOL status, as generally it means end of life - no longer manufactured and no support.

However despite the EOL status the 1020 is still getting the cyan update and most likely others in the future as I don't see MS abandoning the flagship camera (which kills any point & shoot imo and encroaches on DSLR territory) and once a point a time flagship.

People who wield the 1020, are marketing billboards.. nothing attracts more attention than that 41mp camera. As from a psychological point of view - the bigger the number - the better the device (hence why people clamor - about specs before anything else - only the iphone is immune to such criticism from the average joe)

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
This article disagrees The full list (so far) of Lumia 520, Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020s eligible for Lumia Cyan update | Windows Phone Central.

Why would MS update the 1020 in some regions but not the US - their own home turf?
I think they must have got confused with the EOL status, as generally it means end of life - no longer manufactured and no support.

However despite the EOL status the 1020 is still getting the cyan update and most likely others in the future as I don't see MS abandoning the flagship camera (which kills any point & shoot imo and encroaches on DSLR territory) and once a point a time flagship.

People who wield the 1020, are marketing billboards.. nothing attracts more attention than that 41mp camera. As from a psychological point of view - the bigger the number - the better the device (hence why people clamor - about specs before anything else - only the iphone is immune to such criticism from the average joe)

Agreed.. the 620 was effectively discontinued when the 625 was released but it's still receiving updates. Saying that.. why they didn't add another 512MB to the 625 I will never know.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

Thanks to some advice from blue1k, I used the Nokia Care Suite to change the ROM on my unlocked Lumia 1020 which I purchased trom the Microsoftstore.com after reading the article on this site about the pricing. PLEASE NOTE, ANY ADVICE FOLLOWED HERE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS WORKED FOR ME, BUT IT MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE, OR CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS, AND MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

The steps were:
1. Download the Nokia Care Suite (can't remember where I found it, but I believe it was a search on this forum).
2. Search on YouTube for a video of using the Nokia Care Suite to flash a Lumia device. Basically, once you've installed it, you run the Data Package Manager and login with blank username and pwd. In there, you enter the product type RM-877, but for the product code, use the Rogers one - 059T1V9, and select search.
3. Once it finds it, download that ROM.
4. Once the download is completely close the Data Package Manager, and Open the Product Support Tool for Store 5. Again sign in using empty username and password.
5. With your phone still disconnected, in the Product Support Tool, select File/Open Product, and then filter to RM-877, then select that, which should say (Lumia 1020), and select 'Open'.
6. On the bottom left, select Programming/Recovery. This will load the ROM you downloaded.Ignore the error.
7. Without plugging in your phone, select Start. This will get you to the Recovery screen, where it will assume your phone is not bootable.
8. Turn your phone off, and then plug it in, and follow the instructions to soft reset the phone in the Recovery screen, and immediately after you feel the phone vibrating for the soft reset, select 'Retry'.

This should start flashing your phone to the Rogers Rom. It will remain network unlocked, but you'll get back your AT&T LTE if you're on AT&T, including Network sharing. Rogers has also formally released Cyan and 8.1, so I've been able to upgrade to those. Phone is working wonderfully now.

Thanks
Tamir

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.. the 620 was effectively discontinued when the 625 was released but it's still receiving updates. Saying that.. why they didn't add another 512MB to the 625 I will never know.

Just like the removal of certain hardware in the 630 (No Flash whereas 620 / 625 had it, another is that max is 720p recording on the 630 whereas the 625 is able to do 1080p Search results for Lumia 620, Lumia 630, Lumia 625 - Nokia - UK)

I've ordered the 620 for my father and when the 730 comes out most likely that will be the phone I get my kid sister.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering who is currently your provider.
I was under the impression ROM had modem/frequencies built into them.
So I guess it might work for some people, I'm currently using T-Mobile prepaid plan.
Also, does the rom includes specific bloatware for Rogers?
And lastly... does multimedia text message and visual voice mail and everything else works?
Thanks for sharing, I might go this way if unlocked US phones get left behind.

WPGeek

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
the only bloatware on the rogers one that i can see is their tv service, and "Rogers 1" a contact syncing program, and 1 additional theme color, a variation of red that is their corporate color. the telus rom includes two programs to upload photos to Black's photography, a camera chain in canada that they bought that are now also telus dealers. i did check the rogers rom to see if it supports DC-hspa which rogers does not operate in canada, it tests the same as the telus rom in speedtest.net. both roms allow choosing the network speed, and have AWS hspa. they dont however have the access point menu to save multiple network settings like a unbranded phone would. BTW, if you could post the product code that is listed on the flag in the sim drawer it would be very appreciated, i would like to download the unbranded rom and load it in to a phone to see the differences,

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Sure!
The code under the little flap, SIM door: 059W473
On the box or package: RM-877 NA OM BLACK
On phone
Extra Info: RM-877_nam_usa_957
About: Nokia Lumia 1020 Unlocked
Model: Nokia 909

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering who is currently your provider.
I was under the impression ROM had modem/frequencies built into them.
So I guess it might work for some people, I'm currently using T-Mobile prepaid plan.
Also, does the rom includes specific bloatware for Rogers?
And lastly... does multimedia text message and visual voice mail and everything else works?
Thanks for sharing, I might go this way if unlocked US phones get left behind.

My current provider is AT&T. The bloatware from Rogers is minimal, and I've uninstalled ask of it.

Cheers
Tamir

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, no RM-877 059W473 on the nokia server....
if you see in extras + info, that base install was done on 06/27. So mostly chances are that its one of the new ROM which is not on Nokia Recovery server, but came through MS directly.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried more than a few times with Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Nokia Updater for Retail, and the Nokia Care Suite and had no luck. That's why I ended up flashing to the Roger's rom.

I should add that I had updated this to 8.1 preview and had issues with video playback, so I was desperate to get it back to just WP8. I even tried Nokia support, and they were less than helpful, ultimately agreeing for me to send them the phone to try to get it back to WP8.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I should add that I had updated this to 8.1 preview and had issues with video playback, so I was desperate to get it back to just WP8. I even tried Nokia support, and they were less than helpful, ultimately agreeing for me to send them the phone to try to get it back to WP8.
You know you can flash it back to WP8 without sending it to Nokia through their own software, at least it worked in my case with the 1520.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

Well I really appreciate you sharing this piece of information, because this is the way I was leaning to, the developer preview.
I'm still going to wait and see if/when this version will be updated.
If not, I guess I would flash something that might be compatible with T-Mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb