Does Voice Search work with 8.1 Update 1 (Dev Preview)?

aemond

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Strange issue noticed today on my wonderful yellow 1020 (France CV).

I've downgraded yesterday from 8.1 GDR1 DP to 8 with the Nokia Recovery Tool, and then went all the way back to 8.1 GDR1 DP with Cyan being installed. Whilst this fixed some issues (like a loooong time to shut down the phone and overall a slowness I had never being used to with Windows Phone since the very first release of WP7), a new problem appeared today.

Everything was working perfectly fine until I tried to do a voice search (by long pressing the Search button). Strangely enough, nothing came up... I tried several times before finally searching manually for my app with the apps list. A few minutes later, I wanted to check out a video on YT: no sound from the speaker despite the volume being set to 30. I tried many things before rebooting the phone. No luck, the speaker still didn't want to work after the reboot! My fear was to do again the whole recovering process, but I tried to call my voicemail. Sound worked. Then, I tried to listen to a podcast and to watch a YT video: sound on speaker was back.

I've tried to do again a Voice Search, with no more luck. After that, my speaker didn't work... until I called again my voicemail :)

I hope this describtion of the issue can help someone out there and help Microsoft identify the issue. I'm pretty sure it's tied to Cortana being pushed in lieu of Voice Search in more and more countries, but not in France. I could try to put my device as EN-US to have Cortana and see if the phone works better, but I guess for the moment that I'll just wait for an update of the GDR 1 DP ;) ... played too much with the phone this last couple of days. :)

aemond

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope, Cortana and speech are working fine for me. L1020 WP8.1.1

Thanks mate. Actually I think that the issue is that if your country is not set to a region where Cortana is, voice search doesn't work anymore and create this strange bug with sound ceasing to work when you try to do a voice search (without Cortana, old fashion way). I'll switch to EN-US to see if that fixes this issue. And play a bit with Cortana to see how it evolved :)

Edit: I was correct, it fixes the issue. And issue comes back when I switch back to France.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2