Lumia 1020 or Lumia 930

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I am biased to the L1020 because my wife just got one and I have to say it is sweet and the camera is amazing...I can't compare to the L930 just through specs, without actually holding the 930 personally...are you able to get the 930 and "demo" it to see if you like it better? Would be a shame to get the 930 if you liked the L1020

WillemC

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I just received the L930.
I'm going to use it this weekend to test it. Especially pictures in low-light (see what consession I'm making if switching to the L930.

I'm aware of the aparture, but not only aparture is import.. how does it handle higher ISO for instance, and what algorithms does it use.
Luckily I got some events this weekend, so for now I keep two phones in my pockets :)

So just to make clear, at the moment I don't have to opportunity to wait for a next succesor, by the time the real succesor of the L1020 is out, I might be able to make a switch again if another device gets broken. But that's then, this is now...

Added: regarding the 17 bugs pages, that started at march this year. Many problems might have been solved. So I'm going to experience it in person for now and will report back.

Thanks for so far everyone!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to use it this weekend to test it. Especially pictures in low-light (see what consession I'm making if switching to the L930.

I'm aware of the aparture, but not only aparture is import.. how does it handle higher ISO for instance, and what algorithms does it use.
Luckily I got some events this weekend, so for now I keep two phones in my pockets :)

So just to make clear, at the moment I don't have to opportunity to wait for a next succesor, by the time the real succesor of the L1020 is out, I might be able to make a switch again if another device gets broken. But that's then, this is now...

Added: regarding the 17 bugs pages, that started at march this year. Many problems might have been solved. So I'm going to experience it in person for now and will report back.

Just FYI, I've had mine for 3 weeks. 3 useless weeks. All the bugs remain and the construction problems too. Good luck with you unit.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would strongly suggest the 930. You get a better all around phone and better shooting/saving/recovery speed.
Reason - for shots requiring the best quality - shoot those in raw dng, process through LightRoom or Photoshop and I think you will get pretty much equal quality in the end result as you would with 1020 or 808 Pureview.
If the 930 didn't do raw, I would go the other way in my advise as the 41MP reframing gives a fantastic end result for getting a directly processed jpg shot.

I am still using a 1020. I picked up the 808 Pureview a year ago and shot with that all the way up until the 1020 came out.

I love the Xenon flash but rarely use it. Since I don't do a lot of action photography, I am ok with the slow recovery speed of the camera. But I think Raw changes everything - especially with combining to a 20MP camera.

Hell I might just make the switch myself..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Hey Willem - can you also let us know how Raw DNG responds for you?

js8229

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I would also like to ask why does the 930 support RAW where the 1020 doesn't? Is this something specific to the 930, or is it just part of Windows Phone 8.1 or something? I always thought the 1020 gave access to RAW photo files but perhaps not.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would also like to ask why does the 930 support RAW where the 1020 doesn't? Is this something specific to the 930, or is it just part of Windows Phone 8.1 or something? I always thought the 1020 gave access to RAW photo files but perhaps not.

1020 shoots raw. And very well too!

Lilypad by Blue1k, on Flickr

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site

??? I shoot raw all the time on my 1020. Settings.. 5MP + 34MP DNG

Or are you talking about viewing the DNG file on the phone? If that is the case, Rawer is a good program that is on the store.

js8229

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
No I was asking since a previous comment seemed to say that one of the advantages of the 930 was raw support, and I thought that the 1020 had it as well-- and you all made that point clear.

RRasp

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I still have my 1020 and use to use it as my daily driver. I still swap out my SIM when I go to a concert or need to take great photos. If the battery life on the 1020 was better, I would use it more often. I assume the battery life on the 930 is much better than the 1020..?

Kristiyan Bogdanov

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I own a 1020, a 930 and a 925.

Definitely 925 beats them all in low light capabilities by far! 930 is the worst at that... But 1020 has the best photos overall, and also has some low light capabilities... 930 makes the photos with a purple hue... especially the dark ones...

But for me the 930 has the best design. I like the bigger screen (but its not too big, so its balanced), and the 25% bigger battery.
If you are for the low light capabilities, stick with your 930! But if your in it for the design... well 930 isnt that FAT as the 1020 :D and is very beautiful in green and orange (I have the green one)... :)

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have both 1020 and Icon, and 1020 is still better esp after 8.1 now since Verizon hasn't updated the icon. 930 has the 8.1, but hardware wise it is very similar to Icon.

Hardware wise, icon is faster, built in charging, and larger screen. But I prefer 1020 camera, and the difference for me is bigger than the advantages of the Icon. So unless they come out with a 1020 replacement, I am not changing just yet. I gave my girlfriend the Icon.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I own a Lumia 1020 since October, 2013. I also own a Nikon D5200. I am like you a photography hobist. Right now I wouldn't trade my Lumia 1020 for a Lumia 930. I have decided to wait and see if there will be a successor for Lumia 1020. Perhaps there will be a device with the same 41 megapixels camera but with up-to-date internals (CPU, RAM, MicroSD support etc.).
I wouldn't change my Lumia 1020 with a Lumia 930 because Lumia 930 does not have the camera of the Lumia 1020, and because Lumia 930 does not have the Glance functionality.
I will wait to see what the future reserves.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same dilemma, but I'm waiting for 1030/1025.

Comparing the pics without flash, I don't think there's big difference between 1020 or 930 in good conditions. 930 fixes the 925/1020 green tones on dark areas too.

WillemC

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments!

During this weekend I was able to test both of them. The speed of the L930 overall wasn't that much faster. A few apps opened a little faster, but for daily use it wasn't that much faster.

Photographs indeed were a little less of quality in low-light situations. In fact I didn't found the difference that much of a shock, but still I've chosen to stay with my L1020.

The real reason why: I'm satisfied with my L1020, the L930 might have some flaws I'm not aware of yet. Also, by the time my L1020 needs to be replaced there will be an real successor of the L1020.

Overall the L930 is a fine phone and I can recommend it on base of these few days to new users. If you use a cover, the heating part might be not to big of a deal. But a L1020 user like me who isn't bound by new contracts etc. I would suggest to wait for a reall L1020 succesor.

Regarding some questions here: Both the L1020 and L930 do support RAW. The color-tone of the L930 seems to be a little better on standard, but this I can correct with the raw pictures (L1020 is a bit more yellow, as the L930 is more blue. What you like best is your preference, but other persons I showed both phones standard chose the L930 as the one with a nicer screen)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments!

During this weekend I was able to test both of them. The speed of the L930 overall wasn't that much faster. A few apps opened a little faster, but for daily use it wasn't that much faster.

Photographs indeed were a little less of quality in low-light situations. In fact I didn't found the difference that much of a shock, but still I've chosen to stay with my L1020.

The real reason why: I'm satisfied with my L1020, the L930 might have some flaws I'm not aware of yet. Also, by the time my L1020 needs to be replaced there will be an real successor of the L1020.

Overall the L930 is a fine phone and I can recommend it on base of these few days to new users. If you use a cover, the heating part might be not to big of a deal. But a L1020 user like me who isn't bound by new contracts etc. I would suggest to wait for a reall L1020 succesor.

Regarding some questions here: Both the L1020 and L930 do support RAW. The color-tone of the L930 seems to be a little better on standard, but this I can correct with the raw pictures (L1020 is a bit more yellow, as the L930 is more blue. What you like best is your preference, but other persons I showed both phones standard chose the L930 as the one with a nicer screen)

On RAW pictures, there are difference between L930 and L1020 about color tones?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Slightly. The 1520 has the same camera as the 930 and I find the tint a little more purple. White balance is much improved on Cyan on the 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans