Cortana Error 8004100b

brentrichardjr

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
The following error happened to my friend while trying to launch Cortana after updating here Lumia 1020 to 8.1 + Cyan from ATT.
"Something's not right. Try again in a little bit. (8004100b)"

I couldn't find it anywhere online, so after some troubleshooting I finally figured out a solution and thought I'd post it here for others.

1.) Open Settings and swipe to Applications
2.) Select 'Cortana' at the top of the list
3.) Toggle 'Cortana' off and then back on.

Seems simple, but it wasn't the first solution we tried! Not sure how common the bug is, but hopefully this will help anyone else who may happen to experience this.

Tauseef Ahsan

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
The following error happened to my friend while trying to launch Cortana after updating here Lumia 1020 to 8.1 + Cyan from ATT.
"Something's not right. Try again in a little bit. (8004100b)"

I couldn't find it anywhere online, so after some troubleshooting I finally figured out a solution and thought I'd post it here for others.

1.) Open Settings and swipe to Applications
2.) Select 'Cortana' at the top of the list
3.) Toggle 'Cortana' off and then back on.

Seems simple, but it wasn't the first solution we tried! Not sure how common the bug is, but hopefully this will help anyone else who may happen to experience this.

I am having the same problem. But your solution is not working for me. (Lumia 925, Carrier: vivo)

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
having the same problem with my Rogers 1020 in Canada. have tried lots of things including the above and toggling various region/language settings, deleting cortana data, etc. nothing working.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I had this problem for a while and couldn't figure it out after a lot of troubleshooting. In the end, this solved it for me:

1. Go to IE settings, tap on Delete history button
2. Tap Advanced button, set cookies to "accept all"
3. Close IE, go to phone settings, turn on airplane mode
4. Soft reset phone (with Volume Down+Power)
5. When phone reboots, turn off airplane mode and wait for WiFi/Cell to reconnet
6. Open Cortana, you'll probably get the error message again
7. Close Cortana and wait a few minutes, re-open Cortana and it should be working again

These steps worked for me after I waited a couple minutes after the soft reset. Hope this helps.

CodyP7719

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking through forums like a mad man trying to figure this out, cause it happened to me on my 928 Developers Preview phone..

I tried doing all of the other suggestions and nothing worked...

I came across an suggestion for a different error message and thought I'd give it a try..
AND IT WORKED!!!!

1 - Open Cortana Settings
2 - Choose Speech Settings
3 - Under the "Read aloud incoming text messages" turn it from Bluetooth only, to always on

It was that simple for me.

I really hope this works for you as well, She's kinda fantastic!

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Oddly, I had this same thing happen to me but it cleared itself after about a half hour and a couple of restarts of the phone. Working great now. Wish I knew what I did to help but I didn't really do anything specific. Of course, make sure cortana is setup and turned on properly. ??????

pfdsotm

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with the cyan update.
All was working well with the developers preview.
However, after reset my 1020 back to the original version with the Nokia recovery tool and applying all the updates thru cyan I no longer have full use of Cortana.
The error that is mentioned here is only one of the two issues I have.
I receive this error when I try and use voice commands to control Cortana. Oddly though I can type the commands and Cortana will respond as I would expect.
The other thing that I notice is that when I open Cortana I am presented with the message
"interests aren't available at the moment, but you can still tell me what you'd like me to do."

Needless to say I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and nothing has worked so far. I have also tried taking my phone back to 8.0 and applying the updates and not restoring the backup, tried a different account. Again no joy.
Hopefully there is a path to get this fixed and Microsoft/Nokia are working on it.

pfdsotm

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
After many things tried since last nightie now appears to be working.
Because I have tried so many things I cannot be 100% certain as to the step(s) that fixed my issue.
So. I will present them in the order that I remember until the problem was resolved and Cortana started to work.

Because the issue at hand for me, seem to be a link to my interests I assumed some sort of failure to the backend database and bing and or the accounts that I used with signing into bing. I use both a Microsoft account and a Facebook account.

PHONE:
-turn Cortana off
- delete history in IE

Surface:
-bing
--settings
--History, clear all
--Interests, settings, follow the links to clear the interests. I made a note of my settings be fore I did this.
--Back to Interests, turned off all the options that were on, I did try to delete them, however they would always find a way back in, so I turned them off.
I then logged out of both my Microsoft ad Facebook account.

Phone:
-Opened Cortana, still broken at this point as I received a message that interests were not available.
- opened Cortana settings
At this point I noticed that I was not logged into Facebook this time.
- signed into Facebook
- closed Cortana and opened it back up
Working!!!

I know that I had logged out and back into Facebook before while within the settings and things did not work, so you may want to try that for yourself so you do not loose all your history and settings
Hope this helps.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Still no go for me. I have noticed something that may be related. When you turn off Cortana and reboot, on the Cortana settings page you get two options to delete data, one from your phone and one from cloud. When you click the cloud one, it's supposed to take you to a web page, however the page says it does not exist. I'm guessing that's where the interests are stored? And maybe causing the speech recognition error as well?

Alex_Lumia1020

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Experiencing same issue on 1020 after cyan update. I am able to type but not speak to Cortana. I had no previous issues on the developer 8.1.
I tried the above solutions but none worked for me. I hope Microsoft figures this out soon.

Mridul Arya

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. I'm able to type and search but speech doesn't work. Interests aren't working. Restarted phone. Switched Cortana off and back on. Tried various combinations of regions, languages, keyboards, and toggled the "read incoming texts aloud" to all the options one by one. Nothing works. And when turning Cortana on after switching it off, it says "I'm absorbing the internet......" thingy, but then says its taking too long with an error code 8004100b.

And the thing about the interests page on Microsoft's website disappearing. I sure don't hope so, but it could be one of those massive hacks and data and privacy thefts that IT corporates try to conceal. Just speculating.

Last edited:

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Starting working for me this morning as well, without doing anything else. So I agree, MS definitely fixed something on their end.

chandy227

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Any update on this? Was it a backend thing? I was setting up my dad's ATT 1020 yesterday and it was throwing me the 8004100b error. Tried all solutions here and it didn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss