Lumia 1020 - Custom Ringtones

philiphales

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
To use your own tune it says goto Settings; Ringtones; Custom Ringtones, but I cannot see any Custom Ringtones, despite having saved a tun in the folder Ringtones. There is not an option - Custom!!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What file format is the tune?

It has to be .mp3 or .wma (the phone will automatically convert .wavs to .wma), not DRM protected and less than 30mb in size.

I have had no issues with .mp3s (.wma has been abit flaky - but is probably the way it was converted by the program I used), also if you want custom tones get the app Melodia.

wp_ss_20140818_0002.pngwp_ss_20140818_0003.png

Last edited:

philiphales

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
It is an MP3 <30MB, the phone updated this morning to 8.1, but when I go to settings - ringtones + sounds; it has vibrate ON at the top next is Ringtone, which is Nokia Tune if I touch this I get a list of tunes with Windows Phone at the top and a series of tones then Nokia and a series of tones, but nowhere is the word CUSTOM!!

philiphales

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Firstly the phone updated a load of stuff this morning (I only got it this Saturday).
If I go to Settings; Ringtones +sounds, I am faced with (at the top of the phone) vibrate (which is on); then Ringtone, (which is Nokia Tune), if I touch this I get a series of tones (Windows at the top) and further down Nokia tones, but the word CUSTOM is not there!!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Try this, go to notifications + actions --> load up an app --> notification sounds --> is custom there?

If not, try deleting the file and adding it back in again via PC or a file manager (Like pocket explorer, files or aerize explorer)

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Download Nokia Ringtone Making app, try to create a sample ringtone and then check the same in settings. that should force apply the settings which might be missing from internal processes.

philiphales

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Nothing for load up an app, but I went to the apps website and downloaded ringtone maker - selected the file I wanted and it asks if I want to make that slice my ringtone, when selected yes, and went back to Ringtones + sounds; there is a custom heading and my ringtone!
It is a bit worrying that options are disappearing - I had this with my last phone Xperia J, downloaded the latest (as was) Android update and custom ringtone selection was no longer a possibility, had to do the same as this and install a ringtone app.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nothing for load up an app, but I went to the apps website and downloaded ringtone maker - selected the file I wanted and it asks if I want to make that slice my ringtone, when selected yes, and went back to Ringtones + sounds; there is a custom heading and my ringtone!
It is a bit worrying that options are disappearing - I had this with my last phone Xperia J, downloaded the latest (as was) Android update and custom ringtone selection was no longer a possibility, had to do the same as this and install a ringtone app.

That is odd, never have come across that before...

Check-out Melodia it now has a large library of tones that you can use and set.

J Latomaki

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Check your mp3 file that it is in correct format. No longer than 40 seconds, 128 kbps and ringtone gender. Once I had 320 kbps ringtone and it didn't show at all as a custom ringtone. I changed it to 128 kbps and it works fine.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Check your mp3 file that it is in correct format. No longer than 40 seconds, 128 kbps and ringtone gender. Once I had 320 kbps ringtone and it didn't show at all as a custom ringtone. I changed it to 128 kbps and it works fine.

Good point!

Never crossed my mind as usually all custom ringtones / tones I make (I use audacity to extract the portion of the audio I want and then polished it off) are usually less than 20 seconds and always 128 kbps.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have same issue..i was on dp 8.1..i downgraded to 8 then to 8.1 cyan and the 8.1.1 dp...I had copied all my stuff on my comp..and pasted all folder back on the fone...but when I go to set ringtones...my folder ringtones don't show up..weird...but if I download new ringtone from mobile 9 app its show in custom ringtone...but when I go to file manger I cant find where the new ringtones are stored...weird I guess we need a fix

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb