16:9 or 4:3?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I wanna know which aspect ratio do you use when you take pictures with your 1020?

as for me, I was using 4:3 for the higher megapixel count but then changed to 16:9 because it looks better in the phone and laptop

but after a damn lot of my photos show bad examples of barrel distortion, especially when I'm snapping pictures of people (which is a common disease on wide-angle lens), I'm returning to 4:3...

what about you guys?
do you use 16:9 or 4:3?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the scene and framing. For landscapes I use mainly 16:9. For portraits and certain macros I use 4:3. It largely depends on what you are shooting and how plan to frame your shot.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I use 16:9, tends to look more "cinematic" to me and if I'm using any photos for my photography club I usually do some non-destructive processing and lenses correction in DxO so that cuts out the distortion

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Since camera sensors are closer to 4:3 you get access to a lot more pixels, I use 4:3 no matter what as it is better for photography, especially if you print your photos.

16:9 is better for video capture.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
16:9 has a more cinematic effect, and I generally agree with what has been said about the preferences between 4:3 and 16:9 here. In addition to those, however, I usually use 16:9 for photo journalism since my subjects tend to be spread out across the horizon... especially for "discreet" shots. :angel:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Its a no brainer really, it all depends on the device you use to view the pictures, 16:9 looks soo much better as it fills the screen. As for barrel distortion, if you care that much then take pics in RAW and run it through Lightroom or Photoshop or equivalent. 1020 is best camera phone so to really do justice to the pics compared to a point and shoot or DSLR then post processing has to be part of the workflow, if that's not important to you then no worries. I also think that the people you show the picture to will be disappointed viewing a small pic on a big screen IMO, iknow I am.

Maybe its just me but do pics taken in portrait mode using 16:9 look awful on big screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa