Audio Filter, and other concert recording tips

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I'm bringing my 1020 to an upcoming Korean-pop concert - YG Family tour if you wonders - but I need some important tips from you guys who might have done this before.

Which audio bass filter to use? the concert will be very noisy with screams and bass.
Which resolution and frame to use best? I want battery life, and storage, but I don't want poor video quality.
I would had cleared my storage for this concert.
I will also have the camera grip and a 5200mah portable charger
concert should be at least 3 hours​
I heard about the 20 min / 4GB per recording / corrupted video issue. What that about?

It will be really awesome for any inputs. I really don't want to waste this concert and miss out capturing anything or poor videos.

Last edited:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
to be honest, i would not use the bass filter at all. i think it's mostly there for recording audio when there is a lot of wind

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It will be really awesome for any inputs. I really don't want to waste this concert and miss out capturing anything or poor videos.

My input? Put the phone away and actually watch the concert. Take your memories home in your head, not in a possibly corrupted video with (no matter how good, it's still a) phone microphone audio.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Your seating and concert conditions will affect/limit/direct your recording and settings options. Fortunately, you have an excellent video-recording phone, even if the 1520 and Icon have probably surpassed it, especially for concerts and such.
Tip 1: Bing for reports from experienced users. (Browse wisely) Here's a few links I had saved:
We like the sound of that: Rich Recording on Nokia Lumia 1020 - Conversations
The gig test: a (Lumia 1020) and HAAC Rich Recording data point
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/251834-record-concert.html
Tip 2: Put phone in airplane mode, cancel reminders, inactivate any active apps, and avoid other interruptions and battery drains. Free up storage memory.
Tip 3: Use a grip/tripod, or at least a monopod. A tripod will limit your fingering mistakes, limit own-voice interference, enable best zooming, can be ideally positioned, and allow you to enjoy the concert.
Tip 4: It's still just a phone; do your best and expect/plan to improve your results later with a good editor. I wish you a great concert experience and good luck capturing it.

Harshv61

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
As adviced by @RTGent, follow his tips. With a fully charged in airplane mode..w/o using flash, you can record full HD videos approx 106 mins(takes around 20 GB).
Using camera-grip, you can extend the duration longer. However you need to transfer your videos to a hard disk(no storage expansion in phone).

You can keep audio bass filter to 100Hz. Else if bass is too high(which is during concert), it over-powers vocals or other instrument's sound.
I never encountered corrupted video issue. Sometimes video recording doesn't start even after pressing start button. For that issue, a restart fixes it.

My suggestion for a memorable concert recording is..: If you have a handicam, supporting 1080p recording, and 60 fps, record video from that. You can zoom much higher with it. Also record audio from 1020 as it captures audio much better than most of handy-cams and SLR, with rich bass and no distortion. And later combine them on pc. You will get combo of best audio and visuals.

Have a good weekend ! :wink:

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
thanks Harshv61. having a cam-corder is definitely better than 1020, problem is I do not have one :grincry:
furthermore the organiser rules that no videography allowed and they will check for such equipment

i presume the durations stated are1080p at 30hz. how is 24hz?

Does anyone else have experience recording over 20 minutes?

DSC00048.jpg

Last edited:

Harshv61

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks Harshv61. having a cam-corder is definitely better than 1020, problem is I do not have one :grincry:
furthermore the organiser rules that no videography allowed and they will check for such equipment

i presume the durations stated are1080p at 30hz. how is 24hz?

Does anyone else have experience recording over 20 minutes?

View attachment 80466

I have tested 1080p and 720p recordings at 30fps only. With 1080p, it varied from 102-106 mins, with 720p it was around 110-112 mins.

Harshv61

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What was the limiting factor? Battery or running out of space?

Battery (w/o using 📷 grip).

With camera 📷 grip u get extra battery but u will be able to record another 15 mins only. then low disk space message pops. You get only 25 gb around free space if u uninstall every application and storage data from phone. That gets filled up with a 2 hour recording.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Im trying an 1 hour 720p at the moment
possibly followed by a 1080p

the phone is heating up quite a bit is this normal?

ok so I didn't went 1 hour, only did a 30min recording with 720p 30hz
the file size is 2.26GB which translates to 4 hour 51 min on my 22gb free space

Last edited:

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
The concert was awesome. Thought I could record the entire length of the concert but I was seating in a corner and easily spotted by any security. Not even taking photographs from Samsung phones was allowed... A LOT of people got caught and chased out because of it.

WTF MAN! We paid for it and not even photo / smartphone video memories? its not like we're bringing our own DSLR or pro-camcorders.

Still I managed to record some :winktongue:
2014 YG Family Concert Singapore - YouTube

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo