Internet Sharing completely gone after cyan update on TMobile

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked ATT 1020 on Tmobile and when I enabled internet sharing, it would tell me to call 611 and request the feature from ATT. But if I disabled LTE, tethering would work and then I could re-enable it. Now, with cyan, the phone recognizes that it's going through tmobile, but states that I don't have the mobile hotspot service (I do have it) and takes me to a message to upgrade my plan. When I click upgrade, it takes me to a page to call Tmobile. Upon calling them, after dealing with someone who swore my plan didn't include tethering (it certainly does), I got transferred to someone else.

After some steps and some research on their side, I was told that the only thing that made sense was that when I changed my plan to a higher data plan (recently, where I was assured nothing would change except the amount of data), the system saw that my phone was not a Tmobile one and kicked tethering off. She stated that there was no way to manually re-add it because it just kicks it off again. For the record, all of the other phones on my plan still work with tethering (one other phone is a non-tmobile iphone). Also, a friend of mine has a 1520.3 on the same plan and cyan actually made internet sharing work when it wasn't working before. So confused and frustrated.

I don't know if this was actually something cyan changed or if it really was the plan change, because I believe the last time I tried internet sharing was before both changes. I want to try my sim card in a pre-cyan, non-tmobile WP and see what happens. Anyone have any feedback? Anyone else in a similar situation? Thanks!

mjoey77

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I contacted T-mobile and they assure me they are not blocking IS. I keep getting the up sell message when i try to enable IS over WIFI or BT.
I used to be able to use IS when i was on a 3G network so i would use Field Test to change my network, turn on IS then use field test to switch back to LTE, with Cyan this no longer works, i have not been able to turn IS on at all. I am so frustrated as i can use my sim in my old lumia 520 and everything works fine.
I contacted NOKIA and was sent to a XDA article about changing the NOKIA product code.
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515453
I haven't tried this yet. Does anyone else know if this works or not?

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is on Tmobile's side. I tried some stuff today: switched to DP non-cyan Tmobile phone (521), enabled internet sharing (successful), then switched back to my 1020; tried a non-tmobile phone (unlocked 920) DP pre-cyan to enable internet sharing (unsuccessful); keyboard trick; going down to 3G (from LTE). Nothing worked. Either cyan informs something to Tmobile's system in a different way after cyan, or when I upgraded to the 2.5GB per line promo on my family plan, something changed in the system and tethering got kicked off.

The Tmobile rep told me there was nothing they could do since it wasn't a tmobile phone. Way to encourage BYOD but remove features. I understand that it isn't their phone, but I hate that their system removes features that it thinks a phone cannot use, even if it comes with the plan. For example, all non-tmobile phones have wifi-calling feature removed from their plan; while I understand that said feature cannot be utilized, removing by way of automation causes issues with devices that might support certain features (as we are experiencing with tethering, because it clearly used to work).

I really don't want to flash my firmware to another region. As I said in my first post, my friend's 1520.3 works with internet sharing with cyan, and it never worked before. I don't think he upgraded to the 2.5GB promo that I did though. If anyone comes up with something, or any more info, please post! Thanks guys.

maurierose

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
We had similar problems with our AT&T Nokia 520's on Straight Talk. Try entering false settings, doing a soft reset, and then re-entering the previously-correct settings and doing another reset. I can't link URLs yet, but will post another 8 posts and leave the directions on a former post where I mentioned having the issue.... feel free to follow my username to it shortly. lol

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We had similar problems with our AT&T Nokia 520's on Straight Talk. Try entering false settings, doing a soft reset, and then re-entering the previously-correct settings and doing another reset. I can't link URLs yet, but will post another 8 posts and leave the directions on a former post where I mentioned having the issue.... feel free to follow my username to it shortly. lol

I have it set to auto, should I just put in a fake apn, then turn auto back on? Could you PM me the link? I can post it here. I would love to get this working. Thanks!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
User "Trooters" had a great way of manipulating Access Point with a foreign SIM which before Cyan worked beautifully - and without having to screw around with potentially dangerous Field Test settings. His method used functions 100% in the operation of the phone with no bricking risk.
After Cyan, it was not possible to use anymore.
Trooters PMd me saying he has heard of the issue and will work on seeing if there is a solution around Cyan. Unfortunately the day before ATT released the 1020 Cyan update, he trashed his 1020 in a minor bike accident, leaving him with his back up phone - Lumia 920 also unlocked AT&T using on T-Mobile.. and of course ATT has not released Cyan for the 920, so I am waiting to see when this happens and Trooters can finally look at this.

C152172

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here as well. When I swapped my T-Mobile sim card with my friend's AT&T sim card, both phone was able to perform internet sharing. Switch back the sim cards, and only his phone can do internet sharing.

mjoey77

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a ticket in with NOKIA and T-Mobile but haven't received any info on them in the past 24hours or so. I have tried to flash with every product code out there and nothing works. I really hope there is a solution to this, i love this phone.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
This is something AT&T did with their Cyan firmware.
I'm using a 1020 with Rogers firmware and I am still able to use the foreign SIM trick to get my tethering working.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have 928 (Verizon) working on Tmobile. About X month ago I had problem activating IS. So I followed the trick with foreign SIM and it worked until after few month I messed up the settings trying enable LTE (impossible I believe now). Anyway since then I tried everything, including installing access point and network+ 'apps' from Nokia. Had no luck. But a couple month ago Nokia updated I just mentioned two 'apps' and my IS has been working since then. I didnt change anything

I don't know which of two fixed it (I don't have access point installed anymore), anyway, why don't you guys check it out with those two apps, it might fix the issue.

If you don't know you can find and download them with SysApp pusher or Lumia System Updater

Paul Park1

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
There is a solution by downgrading..

Summarized steps
1.use navifirm to download old version of att lumia1020 firmware

2.install old firmware at ur Lumia

3. After installing, download preview for developers and enroll. (IMPORTANT)

4. Keep updating ur phone until the firmware has the notification center feature. U must disable "updating automatically"feature too.

5.After that, never update your phone.

This way, u can use IS and other 8.1 features EXCEPT making folders.

Since IS is the most important thing, I gave up folder and use IS.

I am planning to use this firmware version until the problem is solved.

U can find specific steps by searching Google.

Arvin Arreola

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The solution to this issue is to downgrade but it's not as easy as it should be. Flashing different system ROMs on Sony phones for downgrading purposes are a hell of lot easier than flashing Nokia phones. I was able to downgrade back to Windows Phone 8 by using Navi Firm Plus version 3.2 (just search Google for a .zip download of it) and making the smallest donation for a Navi Firm Plus account to download Lumia Firmwares (only $4 bucks, small price to pay to downgrade back to a fully working Windows Phone 8).

For T-Mobile Unlocked users; presumably you had an AT&T branded Lumia 1020 like I do. The proper firmware to download and flash for AT&T Lumia 1020s is the RM-877, ATT 3051.40000.1346.0001. This will flash a brand new Windows Phone 8 image back onto your phone. For instructions on how to flash the .ffu image you downloaded from Navi Firm Plus, look up the sticky post on flashing Nokia firmwares in the Lumia 920 post. The directions are pretty much the same, you obviously just have to substitute the Lumia 920 for the 1020.

Getting the flash working through Nokia Care Suite 5.4 is kind of tricky. I suggest really following the directions in the above link to get the flash to go through. If all goes well, you should see the Nokia logo pop up on your screen and a progress bar will pop up showing you that Nokia Care Suite is flashing the image to your phone. You could install the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview on top of the Windows Phone 8 image you just flashed. Just be sure to uncheck the automatic software updates in the Phone Update section. It's not that hard but admittedly, it's harder than it should be. Hope this helps.

JHinOC

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
This is such a bummer. I love my 1020 and WP8.1, but not having Internet Sharing is putting a major wrinkle since it is a work phone and I use IS on a regular basis. Hopefully more detail and a solid solution will come to light soon..

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had issues enabling tethering on my 920/925 after updating to Cyan. What i figured out that during the update and reset, my T-Mobile SIM was still in the phone during the initial setup (access point was not installed) which made the T-Mobile settings to stick with the firmware. What made it work was a hard reset without the T-Mobile SIM inserted >> after initial setup insert T-Mobile SIM >> install access point >> select T-Mobile APN settings >> perform foreign SIM trick step by step as mentioned in the 920 thread >> and that's it!

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had issues enabling tethering on my 920/925 after updating to Cyan. What i figured out that during the update and reset, my T-Mobile SIM was still in the phone during the initial setup (access point was not installed) which made the T-Mobile settings to stick with the firmware. What made it work was a hard reset without the T-Mobile SIM inserted >> after initial setup insert T-Mobile SIM >> install access point >> select T-Mobile APN settings >> perform foreign SIM trick step by step as mentioned in the 920 thread >> and that's it!
Probably a nice catch. Will try next time if I see this problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb