Dumb questions about Lumia 1020 camera and photo sharing

Alana Rodrigues

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
So heres the deal. I wanted this phone so i could take decent photos and have more control of the settings while taking the photos. Now, the photos I take look great in phone, even in print, but they look entirely different and massively crappy when uploaded online and viewed on other phones/my computer screen. The details are nowhere to be found, the light and color tones are different, everything pretty much fades and looks nothing like the image on the phone. Why is that? It's like I have a nice jpg on my phone and upload raw instead. I'm not saying that's what's happening, i'm just saying that's what it feels like and looks like is happening. I basically just want the image I see on my phone's screen to look that good everywhere else.

Also, any tips on dealing with the 1020's screen color when editing photos on the phone? Because like i've mentioned before, the photos look good on the nokia screen, but the same photo's when uploaded online have a serious yellow tint to them.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It saves 2 copied of photos taken - one with higher resolution and other with lower (which is visible on phone). Its better connect the phone to your PC and then browse to see the highres photo and use it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So heres the deal. I wanted this phone so i could take decent photos and have more control of the settings while taking the photos. Now, the photos I take look great in phone, even in print, but they look entirely different and massively crappy when uploaded online and viewed on other phones/my computer screen. The details are nowhere to be found, the light and color tones are different, everything pretty much fades and looks nothing like the image on the phone. Why is that? It's like I have a nice jpg on my phone and upload raw instead. I'm not saying that's what's happening, i'm just saying that's what it feels like and looks like is happening. I basically just want the image I see on my phone's screen to look that good everywhere else.

Also, any tips on dealing with the 1020's screen color when editing photos on the phone? Because like i've mentioned before, the photos look good on the nokia screen, but the same photo's when uploaded online have a serious yellow tint to them.

You can edit the white balance in Nokia Creature Studio, and in regards to the display go to settings > system > display (down the bottom). Open up a blank IE page, and fiddle with the display colour sliders until you get it to the closest "white" colour you think.

In regards to uploading, where are you uploading? If it's Facebook, Facebook applies massive compression to mobile photo uploads. Try uploading from a computer (less compression) and also try not to use the high-resolution 38MP photo - unless your friends are all rich enough to own 4K monitors high-res photos will only look worse because the immense amount of pixels blurs the details on a 1080p screen.

Alana Rodrigues

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll try plugging my phone into my laptop. And yeah, I already had the color set to the coolest and most natural possible. That just sucks because it pretty much feels like you sucked the life out of your phone because nothing looks vivid once you adjust the settings like that.

Yeah, I also read that about the 5mp pics looking better online than the 38mp pics.I just have no clue how to make sure i'm uploading 5mp photos, or whether photos get uploaded with 5mp by default.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll try plugging my phone into my laptop. And yeah, I already had the color set to the coolest and most natural possible. That just sucks because it pretty much feels like you sucked the life out of your phone because nothing looks vivid once you adjust the settings like that.

Yeah, I also read that about the 5mp pics looking better online than the 38mp pics.I just have no clue how to make sure i'm uploading 5mp photos, or whether photos get uploaded with 5mp by default.

On your phone the 5MP version will automatically be shared. On a computer, if you go to the camera roll folder the high-res photos will simply have an '_highres' suffix (e.g. WP2134908_Pro_21_04_14_highres.jpg) after them. The other copy of the same photo (without the _highres at the end) will be the 5MP version. And agreed, the only two major downsides with the 1020 are the processing times and the screen.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Warm color temps tend to be the more professional of the color temp settings. Some displays and devices tend to be defaulted now to cool to make them appear brighter and more vivid. Warm display settings are also better on the eyes and brain at night time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos