Microsoft cheating L1020 owners by giving DENIM UPDATE...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The idea that this has anything to do with a somehow insufficient CPU is mere speculation, and TBH, very likely incorrect.

I think we may find out soon what the real issue is, but for now, just the fact that the 830 also supports this feature should be proof enough that CPU processing power isn't an obstacle.

im no genius on cpu+camera sensor working but would the 1020s cpu have the sensor to also handle so it may not be powerful enough for both?

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
So, in summary, 1020 will get Denim for sure, but without 4K recording and Hey Cortana!
Right?

Something like that,but that might change if they find a more better way to make it happen for the 1020.this phone is the king of camera phone,so there should be some how to get some kind of update foe the camera some how to get the best out of the 41px.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Daniel explained this in one of his comments, MSFT, rewrote the camera program.

Currently when you take a photo, each image is processed after it is taken, on the foreground, not allowing you to take another one until that process is done.

When Denim arrives, the image processing will happen in the background, allowing you to shoot another photo right after, and so on.

now such reprograming, will improve all lumias, but when it comes to 4K @ 24fps, now that's some hard work on the CPU, they even hinted that "in normal conditions, when the device is not hot because of playing games for ie, the device will be able to capture just enough 4K to capture the moment" and this is on a snapdragon 800, one of the fastest mobile CPUs around these days.

so what would you expect the Lumia 1020 be able to do, well everything, but not in 4K, they call it HD Moments. which i think it makes sense.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
L 1020 when introduced was costliest phone... Even today on many sites it's costliest of all... WHAT'S WRONG IF BUYERS EXPECT LONGER SUPPORT? But most WPC articles suggests we won't get DENIM... F**** MSFT ... it's like android kicking HTC ONE or Sansung S5 out... If LUMIA 1020 after spending 1000 US dollars (55k INR then) , deprive us I'd denim, what's point in remaining brand loyal? Thanks WPC for guiding us... XIOMI, here I come..

"suggests"

Please! You'll get it, don't worry. There's no reason not to get it, live on. Cheers.
And by the way, did you really spend 1000 USD on a phone?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Check link regarding rich capture on wpc....
....so you apparently believe in magic? You must if you want to see a software based update add features the hardware does not support. I am sorry but software and firmware updates don't work that way. By that logic, you would expect that Microsoft can release an update that will change a SP2 with an i5 into a SP3 with an i7. Alternatively, am I supposed to be upset that a previous update that enabled raw processing in the 1020 did not do the same in the 928 which is incapable of raw processing. You will get the update but it will only address the things the specific hardware can support. BTW, In am pretty sure you chose to buy a phone with a niche camera. That camera has also been well supported by Microsoft who has enabled and enhanced features over time since release. It could have cost $10,000 and it was still your choice.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
now such reprograming, will improve all lumias, but when it comes to 4K @ 24fps, now that's some hard work on the CPU, they even hinted that "in normal conditions, when the device is not hot because of playing games for ie, the device will be able to capture just enough 4K to capture the moment" and this is on a snapdragon 800, one of the fastest mobile CPUs around these days.

a) what you mention is just one feature of the Lumia Camera app, so even if true, the lack of an sd800 wouldn't stand in the way of bringing over at least the other features.

b) what you mention works on an L830, albeit at a lower resolution, and it works despite the L830 having an overall weaker CPU than the L1020. If the lack of CPU processing power is really the problem, then why not just use the same approach on the L1020 as on the L830?

So, again, no, the lack of CPU processing power is not the issue. Also note that in the article, it is stated that bringing this functionality to other phones would be "very hard". That is not the same as saying "it's impossible", which it would be if the CPU just couldn't handle it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
a) what you mention is just one feature of the Lumia Camera app, so even if true, the lack of an sd800 wouldn't stand in the way of bringing over at least the other features.

b) what you mention works on an L830, albeit at a lower resolution, and it works despite the L830 having an overall weaker CPU than the L1020. If the lack of CPU processing power is really the problem, then why not just use the same approach on the L1020 as on the L830?

So, again, no, the lack of CPU processing power is not the issue. Also note that in the article, it is stated that bringing this functionality to other phones would be "very hard". That is not the same as saying "it's impossible", which it would be if the CPU just couldn't handle it.

4K recording won't be on the 830 either

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
4K recording won't be on the 830 either

Isn't that exactly what I said?

The L830 supports the moment capture feature, "albeit at a lower resolution". According to Daniel's article, that would be 1080p instead of 2160p (a.k.a. 4k).

Again, my point was that if CPU processing power were the problem, the L1020 could just support it the same way the L830 does, by using a lower resolution. That just isn't the problem. Microsoft has pretty much explained it at this point, but once again, tech journalism lacks the technical background to understand and correctly interpret the message.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that exactly what I said?

The L830 supports the moment capture feature, "albeit at a lower resolution". According to Daniel's article, that would be 1080p instead of 2160p (a.k.a. 4k).

Again, my point was that if CPU processing power were the problem, the L1020 could just support it the same way the L830 does, by using a lower resolution. That just isn't the problem. Microsoft has pretty much explained it at this point, but once again, tech journalism lacks the technical background to understand and correctly interpret the message.

Oh, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant the screen when you said lower resolution lol *facepalm*. But to be fair "the same thing, but lower resolution" is basically just saying "it'll record videos"

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't consider it "cheating." But I guess it's a free country, you can word as you feel. :) J/K.

Seriously, at some point, L1020 will not be supported. It's a matter of when.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The L1020 will get Denim...but it will be as if it didn't, just like Cyan. Microsoft has abandoned ALL hardware that wasn't released for sale by Microsoft Mobile and the 1520 because they couldn't come up with the hardware excuse to leave it out.

Welcome to the World where Nokia is no longer in charge of your phone, Microsoft is. Enjoy the painful, ungratifying ride.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750