Microsoft cheating L1020 owners by giving DENIM UPDATE...

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello Sir, or Ma'am, your Nokia Lumia 1020 will get the latest firmware update, called DENIM, but it won't get all the features. However, your phone will still take better pictures than the Lumia 830, Lumia 930, and Lumia 1520, so don't fret too much, you still own a beast of a phone, that surpasses 4k resolution! ;D

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant the screen when you said lower resolution lol *facepalm*. But to be fair "the same thing, but lower resolution" is basically just saying "it'll record videos"

lol, no need to facepalm. Been there too.

Anyway, I think we might still be misunderstanding something, because I disagree that it's basically just saying "it'll record videos". The whole point of moment capture is not to record 4k video, but rather the ability to select any frame from that video, and have it be just as sharp as a still camera shot. That isn't possible if you're extracting a frame from an actual video, which includes all the artefacts and blurriness that go along with video compression. IMHO that is a really nice feature, at 2160p as well as 1080p.

jagdeep chohan

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else having problem with battery saver on 1020?? Mine does not dims the screen brightness nor it puts capacative buttons light off. Facing this problem from last 2-3 days. Help me!!

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I bet you will get denim ... you will just not be able to make use of all the features. hardware behaviour just cant always be changed by software updates. It is also 2 years old already
The Lumia 1020 came out last year. Just one year old and by not waiting to see what new features Microsoft would announce for the OS that same year, the phone was essentially obsolete software wise for the cooler and more modern features like passive voice assistant and 4k recording as soon as it was released. Hardware wise the OS will run just fine and the cool tricks cannot nullify how great the camera sensor always will be. But for a phone if this caliber, a phone with 41 megapixels, I would've thought that Nokia would've made sure this phone at least would get every software feature related to the camera for two years. Clearly it stands out amongst any Windows Phone but in the end treated as equal to the 920s, 820s and 520s of the world. They launched this phone a tad bit too early.

Marc Cupido

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The funny this is that most of you are saying is that the 1020 wil get denim but not with all of the camera features, so my question is than what do we get then? As all of the denim features are camera based.

So all in all we will get a denim update that changes nothing.

Another thing is that Nokia managed to use a 41mp camera on a CPU that only supports 20mp. So of they could do that than surely they can bring some of these features to the 1020

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Basically we're just getting an official release of 8.1 Update 1.

Let's accept it. We've been taking great pictures without those fancy features anyway.

Last edited:

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It will certainly get the Denim update, but won't get the new camera features because it's processor cannot handle taking a series of 41MP images in a second. I believe it would be possible for 920 and 925, but I doubt they will be bringing Rich Capture to these devices.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm resigned to the fact that the 1020 won't get a lot of the cool stuff going forwards due to the lack of power in the phone. I even found it struggling with living images to be honest.

My hope is that MS release an updated version of the 1020 with 41MPx and plenty of RAM and SD card .. hopefully next year. I can hold out, I'm not in a hurry.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
L 1020 when introduced was costliest phone... Even today on many sites it's costliest of all... WHAT'S WRONG IF BUYERS EXPECT LONGER SUPPORT? But most WPC articles suggests we won't get DENIM... F**** MSFT ... it's like android kicking HTC ONE or Sansung S5 out... If LUMIA 1020 after spending 1000 US dollars (55k INR then) , deprive us I'd denim, what's point in remaining brand loyal? Thanks WPC for guiding us... XIOMI, here I come..

Oh God, here we go again.

Question - do you expect Microsoft to hold off innovations until you are personally ready to buy into a new phone?

I'm in the same boat. I don't mind. - as with the Kernel change a year or two ago I am GLAD that in a year or two when I'm ready to change out my 1020 there's going to be some ripping good products waiting..

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what Denim is, but all I need is the current Camera, Phone, and Drive software to make my 1020 black beauty ideal.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm resigned to the fact that the 1020 won't get a lot of the cool stuff going forwards due to the lack of power in the phone. I even found it struggling with living images to be honest.

My hope is that MS release an updated version of the 1020 with 41MPx and plenty of RAM and SD card .. hopefully next year. I can hold out, I'm not in a hurry.

I'm hoping they do incorporate those features, maybe even put the 930's screen on it (with Glance support), or even a bit bigger as long as it has a micro SD card slot. 128+32GB of photos and apps can go a longer way than just 32GB. ;) Heck, even Microsoft /Nokia said the 830 has the smallest OIS unit compared to previous models, so the camera hump shouldn't be as big in the next version.

Just a day dream though until we start hearing rumors, sadly. :/

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
How are they cheating you? They do not have to give you new updates, know where does it say that when you buy a new phone you will get all the new updates that come out for the phones OS. If all they where worried about is profit, none of them would give you updates they would make it so you would have to buy a new phone to get all the new and great stuff. You must have thought your phone was great when you bought it, i'm sure it is still great if it does not get Denim, blue jean or the new purple people eater update for free.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No, more like people wanted an epic photo talking phone before the latest tech was out. Enjoy the beta phone, we'll make a better one soon.

Funny, they were able to make an even better one in the 808 with even older hardware and an even older OS. Only thing that held the 1020 back from being on par with the 808 was the immature WP platform so if anything was beta it wasnt the 1020 hardware or people's expectations, it was Microsoft's typically stupid and slow updates to the OS to support better hardware.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
L 1020 when introduced was costliest phone... Even today on many sites it's costliest of all... WHAT'S WRONG IF BUYERS EXPECT LONGER SUPPORT? But most WPC articles suggests we won't get DENIM... F**** MSFT ... it's like android kicking HTC ONE or Sansung S5 out... If LUMIA 1020 after spending 1000 US dollars (55k INR then) , deprive us I'd denim, what's point in remaining brand loyal? Thanks WPC for guiding us... XIOMI, here I come..

WPC articles saying or suggesting the 1020 won't get Denim?

Also your Thread title doesn't make much sense either as it reads "Microsoft cheating L1020 owners by giving DENIM UPDATE".. (guessing you meant "Not Giving" ??):winktongue:

Lend me some of that stuff your smoking, sounds like good stuff /Sarcasm :confused:

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that exactly what I said?

The L830 supports the moment capture feature, "albeit at a lower resolution". According to Daniel's article, that would be 1080p instead of 2160p (a.k.a. 4k).

Again, my point was that if CPU processing power were the problem, the L1020 could just support it the same way the L830 does, by using a lower resolution. That just isn't the problem. Microsoft has pretty much explained it at this point, but once again, tech journalism lacks the technical background to understand and correctly interpret the message.

The 1020 has a larger sensor and needs to process many more pixels so it still might be a combination of the SOC and much more complicated image requirement that is preventing these features. Remember that the 1020 required special tuning to the SOC.

As for the question in general, the S4 is a Q1 2012 SOC even though the 1020 was released in Q3 2013. I knew that coming in and as a 1020 owner, I don't have expectations for all the latest features, even camera related ones. You buy the phone for the features it has at the time you bought it, not the features it might have. I don't feel cheated.

Looking forward to their next large sensor camera though. 1030/1040 or whatever they call it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire