Microsoft cheating L1020 owners by giving DENIM UPDATE...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lamest excuse ever. "Hey Cortana" is nothing more than a copy of "Ok, Google Now". Motorola got it to work on a dual-core phones WITHOUT an SD800. <snipped> Poor Microsoft, they just couldn't make "Hey Cortana" work on phones without an SD800...they're so helpless and new and without experience when it comes to software....

It's a rather good excuse actually, because always-on listening requires specialized hardware. Motorola got it to work without an sd800 by including a separate TI C55 DSP chip specifically for that purpose. No other smartphone, from any other manufacturer, included such hardware at the time. No amount of software updating will provide the same capability. Since then, Qualcomm has duplicated those hardware capabilities in their sd800 series chips, which is why always-on listening is coming only to those devices. It's the opposite of an excuse. It's technical necessity.

Anyway, always-on listening is not a trivial feature! If anyone is interested, I recently posted a thread where I explain what SensorCore is, how it relates to Qualcomm's sensor engine, and how always-on listening ties into both.

At least in terms of "Hey Cortana", nobody is being cheated. It's fully justified that devices lacking an sd800 series SoC will not get this feature.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's a rather good excuse actually, because always-on listening requires specialized hardware. Motorola got it to work without an sd800 by including a separate TI C55 DSP chip specifically for that purpose. No other smartphone, from any other manufacturer, included such hardware at the time. No amount of software updating will provide the same capability. Since then, Qualcomm has duplicated those hardware capabilities in their sd800 series chips, which is why always-on listening is coming only to those devices. It's the opposite of an excuse. It's technical necessity.

And there you go. Facts over fantasy. :)

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
L 1020 when introduced was costliest phone... Even today on many sites it's costliest of all... WHAT'S WRONG IF BUYERS EXPECT LONGER SUPPORT? But most WPC articles suggests we won't get DENIM... F**** MSFT ... it's like android kicking HTC ONE or Sansung S5 out... If LUMIA 1020 after spending 1000 US dollars (55k INR then) , deprive us I'd denim, what's point in remaining brand loyal? Thanks WPC for guiding us... XIOMI, here I come..

You might have forgotten that each update is hardware dependent. If a phone hardware can't support the new update what can you do? I'm not saying 1020 will be left out but as long as the hardware can take it, you will get the update.

But of course, MS or any company will intentionally make the hardware specs an excuse so that you have to buy a new one and get ripped off. It's a sad truth but it's beyond our control as consumers.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's 4k filmed at 24 fps for 24 seconds. This is Moment Capture. It's not normal shooting. It replaces Action Shot. For 1st Gen WP8 devices it probably eliminates Living Images too.

24 seconds? That's kind of random as limitations go. Where did you read that?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
All Nokia/Microsoft mobile made devices are getting denim, depending on the carrier. Why are you complaining? Denim is coming. I know you feel like Microsoft are stripping camera features away from a camera phone however the specs are holding it back from doing 4K, living images and other features. That doesn't mean they are not trying their best to bring as many features to the 1020. They aren't cheating anyone. Remember that nokia camera used to be exclusive for pureview devices. Now every wp8 nokia can get nokia camera.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
hey you dramatic something somethings... it could be a whole lot worse. we could be iphone owners and have an update forced on us, due to apps not running off the old OS anymore, that renders the phone so slow it makes you upgrade since the hardware cant support it. windows phone has been the best at this, IMO. each phone gets its own set of features to squeeze every bit of life out of it. at some point we wont get updates. thats just a fact of life though. get over it.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Does the 1020 have wooden backs?
The size of the sensor doesn't conflict in any way with what's being discussed.

you misunderstood me,the 41MP sensor will use alot of the snapdragon S4's power,the moto x doesnt have a sensor like that to support
my point is the 1020 was already under load to power the pureview sensor

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
you misunderstood me,the 41MP sensor will use alot of the snapdragon S4's power,the moto x doesnt have a sensor like that to support
my point is the 1020 was already under load to power the pureview sensor

The PureView sensor had nothing to do with this, the heavy load on the 1020 due to the camera arises only when the camera is actually open.

The Moto X has a faster CPU and GPU, but the real reason that it has always listening capability is because of a special Motorola X8 chip for voice and language detection.

Back at the time of the 1020 functionality like this wasn't nearly as popular, Motorola pretty much started this passive voice detection revolution.

But it's not a huge feature that could make or break your experience with any phone, if I had a Lumia 1020 I would be okay with not getting a feature like this.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
"While Juha clarified ( read below ) that Lumia 1020 won’t get the camera speed improvements with Lumia Denim due to oversampling and huge sensor size, we have kind of hoped that Lumia 920 and Lumia 925 without big sensor or oversampling may get some speed improvements. The answer is “no” again, unfortunately."
(Source: nokiapoweruser)

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
But at the Nokia site it states: The new Lumia Camera will be available for Lumia 830, Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520 as part of the Lumia Denim update that starts rolling out in Q4.

I assume that, even if the 1020 gets the Lumia Denim, it won't get the Lumia Camera and will remain as Nokia Camera with no HDR.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Of course they're highlighting latest devices.

There's no reason why the I'm improved Lumia Camera worth ask it's features won't come to other devices .

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Cryio, we know for sure now that speed improvement is not coming to 920/925/1020 (according to Juha who I think is well informed lol). I can understand that people want a confirmation that the other features come to the 1020.

And I can also understand that so far, Nokia/MS only communicates on what's sure, ie, 830/930/1520. I'm not even sure the coding is finished and that Nokia themselves know exactly what's coming to the 1020 or not.

This being said, I don't see why we wouldn't get rich capture and HDR, I agree with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon