Microsoft cheating L1020 owners by giving DENIM UPDATE...

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow this discussion is so stupid, every lumia will get denim but not all features because the old s4 processor is simply not good enough to handle some features! End of discussion.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
DennisvdG, you're right if you read the first post literally. But I think OP means "we won't receive all features of Lumia Camera or Denim". Cryio and I have stated what may come and what won't come to the 1020 and I think the real question raised by OP is: which features are coming to the 1020. So no need to be rude, to my eyes.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
DennisvdG, you're right if you read the first post literally. But I think OP means "we won't receive all features of Lumia Camera or Denim". Cryio and I have stated what may come and what won't come to the 1020 and I think the real question raised by OP is: which features are coming to the 1020. So no need to be rude, to my eyes.

OP was being rude in that first post.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Denim will be on there (1020) however the internals mean some features won't be available. The processor is the issue.

that's a lie.

The S4 Plus is one of the most capable processors in a phone. It was top of the line in 2012 and beginning of 2013.

It can do Miracast, but Microsoft won't do it.

There have been many amazing Android phones with this processor.

Yet Windows Phone can't seem to figure out how to fully exploit it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
that's a lie.

The S4 Plus is one of the most capable processors in a phone. It was top of the line in 2012 and beginning of 2013.

Take it easy inteller. Poirots Progeny may have stated it poorly, as it's not the processor, but rather other parts of the SoC. Still. It's not a lie. I already explained how always-on listening is a heavily hardware dependent feature. That is at least one feature where MS is definitely not cheating, as that simply can't be done with the S4 in older devices.

I don't know why the denim update won't be bringing speed improvements to everyone's cameras, but it's not hard to imagine how that is likely DSP related. I'd bet it is, and that part of the SoC has also evolved heavily over the last year. In regard to Denim, I think most people pointing their finger at MS while screaming "cheater" are just ignorant. I doubt there is any foul play involved, but that's just my somewhat informed guess. I can't prove it, but neither can those with the opposite view prove anything.

The lack of Miracast support, well, that I don't understand either. AFAIK if a device supports WiFi direct, Miracast should also be possible. To me this seems a far more likely case of "cheating", but that is not part of the Denim update

CernT

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Instead of 4k: 60 frames 1080p, fixing the gps data bug for dng files, fixing the auto focus for macro views, shutter speed up

staticx57

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
that's a lie.

There have been many amazing Android phones with this processor.

Yet Windows Phone can't seem to figure out how to fully exploit it.

Uhh no, the top of the line in 2012 was the S4 Pro which doubles the cores and adds a MUCH improved Adreno 320 GPU. The beginning of 2013 brought the SD600 which was mostly an overclocked S4 Pro with some other enhancements. Just for some perspective, the first SD800 device was announced less than a month after the 1020. So, the first SD800 device was release a month and a half after the 1020. I like my 1020 but the SoC is just old and it was old when it was released.

Aldenone

May 21, 2014
Visit site
He is perfectly right to feel screwed

The messed up thing is that the 1020 has all those hardware restrictions to begin with, he is right, you dish out nearly 1000 dollars to buy a phone you at least expect the hardware to be relevant for two years, but the wowed about denim photo improvements are limited for 1020 users, no Miracast and I still can't get over the no expansion slot. That's why a forced and changed to the 1520, but not everyone can. I hope Microsoft don't screw another set of flagship customers in that way, ever.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Unless you mean Australian dollars (which would be more acceptable) I'm pretty sure no one paid anything close to $1000 for this phone from an official source.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
What I expect to be there/fixed in Lumia 1020:
1. Miracast (since the processor supports WiFi-direct--my biggest gripe--I was on a family trip at a relative's home and I was trying to project a video from my phone to their Miracast TV, but I couldn't because my phone didn't support it due to MS' laziness. I had to resort to stream it to their TV using DLNA. Not a very effective way to project, since the video was 1080p and the stream was jittery.)
2. Moment capture @ 1080p (not an unfair demand)
3. Dynamic flash/HDR/Rich capture (sure, there can be techniques to do that--like buffering the shots during which the flash fires and processing them later after the flash is over)
4. Faster startup time/saving time (since there are some other apps in the store which start-up and process as fast as Microsoft Camera even with full resolution)
5. Continuous autofocus (since its there during video, why can't it be there during still photos?)
6. More controls during video (manual tap-to-focus being very important)
7. Indoor flash WB issues fixed (yellowish tint and unnatural/yellow skin tones)
8. Slow-motion recording with high FPS.
9. Faster review! One of the updates to Nokia Camera removed the review feature. It now takes 3-5 seconds to open the camera roll and to review a picture taken... Very embarrassing when people are trying to see how the picture came out to be and I've to tell them to wait and they stare on my empty screen.
10. Bring the shutter animation back. Earlier, Nokia Camera had a nice shutter animation when capturing a photo. The animation made the delay to take the next picture seem smaller. By the time the animation was over, the camera was ready to take the next shot. Now it just shows a boring (and annoying) 'Saving...' across the top of the screen.

Last edited:

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I just want 2 features for the camera
1. option to turn off the pre flash option so 1020 will work with my DSLR's external flash unit.
imagine 1020 using external flash, all the possibilities to play with lights are unlocked!

2. bring back the option to toggle focus light and flash separately. there was this option before in Nokia Pro Cam.

These two aren't that difficult to make, nothing regarding hardwares just software issues.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
2. bring back the option to toggle focus light and flash separately. there was this option before in Nokia Pro Cam.

This option in still there! See:
91ca8db48876c5abf4fc1d0103f34109.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett