Is 1020 Camera starting to get old?

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 is around 1 year old now and i wonder if the camera still holds up to Sony Z3 and iphone 6+.

I want my Lumia 1020 to be better :p

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, it still produces the best quality pictures on a smartphone today. Used it recently at a dark restaurant for a birthday dinner and was very happy with the results. The 1020 is still the King!!!

Newguru

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
@downup

There is absolutely no comparison between a Pureview camera and the iphone 6 camera, no matter what the payed-up tech cr@ppy journalists want you to believe.
Plus you can't get pure dng files from the iphone, can you?

Also, I've just learned that the iphone 6 and 6+ screws the backgrounds badly!

Wanna check:

www.flickr.com/thurrott (zoom in on the photos with the grasshoppers) ;)

Also, I want to see this from an iphone :p (these are mine, by the way..)

Cidadela-3.jpgEntardecer no Guincho-11.jpg

Camden Krupala

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow, great photos! I don't think the Lumia 1020's camera is old to the point where it doesn't match up anymore. It definitely holds its own still. But I would definitely like to see a faster new device.

Newguru

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
That's the only problem with the 1020 - the speed!
It's not a question of the 1020's camera not matching up anymore.. it's more that there is no smartphone camera even remotely in the same league! :p

Thanks @Camden Krupala

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The L1020 will have an outstanding camera long after the L1020 is outdated. The tech in camera on phones is limited by both space and how much tech is needed to support the other functions. The L1020 simply has the best camera that can be smashed into a smartphone right now. Yes, I think other smartphones have improved their snappers. But I think we are a generation or so away from a better camera coming along. My daughter LOVES photography, and she has yet to see anything else out there that turns her head. She takes so many good photos, she has such an eye for it. And as I have mentioned before: Almost a year later on a 2 year old phone design, you couldn't pry the L1020 out of her hand with a crowbar.

You did good, downup.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
That's good. My friend ordered a Z3 and was bragging about that the Z3 has the best camera on the market. It has blabliblobla technology and Sony is the best camera maker in the world...

Can't wait for a comparison on youtube

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The Best Smartphone Camera: iPhone 6 Edition

"Among our contenders, we think the Lumia 1020 is the highest achiever, with its crisp detail, great low light performance, and good flash. Unfortunately, some out there may prefer to take photos with a log (or HTC One M8) than use a Windows Phone as their daily driver. If you're one of them, the natural color and low-light chops of the iPhone 6 win out."

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's really sad that some journos and reviewers get paid to knowingly pass on bad information in the hope of convincing people who just want to know the truth in order to help them make a purchase.

This may be a WP forum but the evidence speaks for itself. The 1020 is comfortably the best camera phone on the market. It lacks in other areas though....only modest specs and performance compared to most other high end devices. Other smartphones are catching up in some areas regarding camera, but some features are just gimmicks which tend to fool the eye on the phone. Viewing the images on a large resolution screen will sort the wheat from the chaff.

It will be very interesting to see what the Lumix DMC - CM1 offers when released though. There is some serious potential for good photography there.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
The camera is still the best around. The issue is the Snapdragon S4 not being able to keep up with its superiority.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 is almost perfect. On JPG output (not RAW) there is room for color improvement, perhaps with Canon help... And why 5 Mp instead of 8 Mp ?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
On our trip this past month to Halifax, I got so many awesome photos from my 1020. It is the best camera in a phone hands down. IQ is the reason we take photos. If you need all out speed, use a camera. For capturing photos, when you are on the go, NOTHING comes close in the phone realm.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
On our trip this past month to Halifax, I got so many awesome photos from my 1020. It is the best camera in a phone hands down. IQ is the reason we take photos. If you need all out speed, use a camera. For capturing photos, when you are on the go, NOTHING comes close in the phone realm.

Agreed, amazing photo quality, especially from a phone. Stands up to DSLR too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss