Confused about what to buy - 930 vs1020?

Sifrei

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
If the camera is that important for you, get the 1020 asap.
Both phones need a revisioned version with expandable memory, tho.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1020 but bought a 930.. early adopter.

I shouldn't have...

Advantages L930:
  • - small performance increase day-to-day usage. Most apps open a tiny bit faster, but not dramatically so and not consistently so (some apps actually open faster on my 1020). Can't comment on gaming performance, I don't game on my phone.
  • - "Better" screen. Higher resolution results in better text quality. But... I'm on my 3rd L930 as I had issues with non-uniform screen bleed (search the forums here for many reports) and the purple tint is still there as well.

Advantages L1020
  • - Nicer to hold... I can't stress this enough. The L930 is not very well designed ergonomically. It's a brick with sharp edges. The L1020 is much nicer to hold.
  • - Heat. The L930 can get very very hot (see reports on forum)
  • - Camera... No question here: the L1020 simply blows the L930 away in any situation. My wife uses my 1020 now as a daily driver, so there are many occasions on our trips that we take pictures of the same thing. Every single time the pictures from the 1020 are simply a lot better. Particularly in low light conditions the differences are striking.
  • - EDIT: Forgot about Glance!

Long story short: I wish I hadn't spent the money on the L930 and waited for a successor of the 1020. Not a day goes by that I look at my old 1020 in my wife's hands with a little tear in my eye :D

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Same principles apply? Its unlikely you're gonna use up your remaining memory on photos and videos until your trip abroad is over or WiFi is fixed. This is the whole point of cloud storage, there's no reason whatsoever to run out of memory for photos and videos these days unless you have no data plan or WiFi at home in which case owning a smart phone at all is pretty pointless
Sent from Dov's Lumia 1520

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Same principles apply? Its unlikely you're gonna use up your remaining memory on photos and videos until your trip abroad is over or WiFi is fixed. This is the whole point of cloud storage, there's no reason whatsoever to run out of memory for photos and videos these days unless you have no data plan or WiFi at home in which case owning a smart phone at all is pretty pointless
Sent from Dov's Lumia 1520

dude that arguement of SD card vs cloud is rather invalid
lets say you are on a trip to maybe lets say Africa and are out in the wild photographing etc and your using the 1020 to take photos for whatever reasons
where will you find cloud storage?

lets say you are in a city on holiday,the internet rates are rather expensive,will you upload the ENTIRE 32gb worth of stuff off your phone??

plus i dont think you understand that 32gb and a 41MP pureview can fill up pretty fast

owning a smartphone is pointless if people are using unsmart logic to justify lack of an sd card slot

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes they should all have SD card slots really. I have a 920 and 32GB is a decent amount of storage space but being able to put an extra 64GB in it would be great. Nokia seems to like to hamstring every phone in some way so that there is no perfect phone available.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll say get the 930.
The camera in the 1020 is great but very challenging as you have to predict when to take your phone out for shooting so you won't miss the moment.
I missed some great moments due to its slow processor, but somehow the pictures I've snapped with it were exceptional in quality.

If you have patience, wait for the next 41 MP ;)

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The bump (or as Rubino says, "the Oreo") marks the quality, though...

Quality you say? Not really, 1020 have a plasticky feel, it doesn't feel like a 700 dollars( original price I paid), and in just a week of owning it, I already made few dings in corner. I find the 930 more durable and it feels solid too. If you're into aesthetics I'd say 930, it also have great camera for casual user( almost all Nokia phone have great cameras though, even my n95 can beat galaxy s4's camera at some point). If you only want is the camera choose the L1020, but beware, image processing is extremely slow(you'll gonna be disappointed with it at some point), stationary photography is what its best and its a fairly old smartphone, its almost 2 years old. If you want, wait a little moment, MS is I think releasing a new phone/flagship probably the L1030 or something.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I was talking about the quality of the images, though...

Still, build quality is subjective. While I like my 1020 a lot, I concede that the 930 is a very beautiful piece of technology

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I was just as confused as the OP, but really it comes down to preferences.. (I really wanted the image quality)
So I ended up getting a 1020 yesterday. I consider it as a side grade though.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was just as confused as the OP, but really it comes down to preferences.. (I really wanted the image quality)
So I ended up getting a 1020 yesterday. I consider it as a side grade though.

congrats
Its not really a bad choice, but you'll see until you dig all up and use it in real world scenario, its already a great phone though if it only focused on photographers( what they need, want and speed)
I find my 1020 sometime gimmicky because of the crazy megapixel count but suffers from slowness, but meh i'll be getting the 1030(possibly) anyway, I love it and that's it.

Tip: PUT A HARD CASE ON or you'll lose its beauty. The edges/ corners are the weakest points beware. The camera bump may get hot a lot but dont worry that's normal I heard that it acts as a heat sink. If you can, its better to get the camera grip and portable charger, its battery drains quickly, Cheers with your 1020 and happy photographing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05