[L1020 64GB] Questions before buying 2nd hand?

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have decided to get a 2nd hand 1020, i have a 925 32GB, but still I realize that I dont have enough space, so with 1020, I guess I really need 64 Gb.

1. Do all the 64GB version come from O2 only?

2. If Yes, according to the Nokia web, and the news from WpCEntral, O2 has not yet released the Lumia Cyan for 1020 Germany, only in UK, can someone confirm? I just dont want to buy a 1020 that cannot be upgraded to Lumia Cyan.

Availability in Europe - Nokia

3. Anyone can share if 32 GB is enough or if it's worth the price to go for 64 GB?

Thanks!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know the 64GB version is only available from Telefonica which runs O2. I'm pretty sure you can flash it with the CV firmware, then you will be able to upgrade to Cyan. I got my 64GB 1020 through O2 in the UK. As soon as I paid off the phone, I cancelled the contract and requested an unlock code which they provided for free. I then flashed it with GB CV and it has been fine for updates.

It's my honest opinion that 32GB is nowhere near enough space for the 1020. However, if you're not into apps, games and music, you may be able to get by. I'm down to about 4GBs which is a massive struggle but over 24GBs of my space is taken up by photos and music although I've had to remove over 7GBs of photos and videos from the phone in order to free up space. Some of my apps/games are large too.

Don't forget the space can fill up very fast if you're shooting in RAW.

These issues could be eased, if not totally resolved by MS giving us USB-OTG. Backing up to SkyDrive is great but it's not always practical.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1. 64GB 1020's come from Telef?nica and any operator owned by them. So either O2 (UK and Germany) or Telef?nica (Spain) in Europe and in Latin America there's a Telef?nica-owned carrier in Brasil who has it too.

2. Answered above.

3. It REALLY depends on how much you use the camera and how many photos you take. But if you intend to use the phone for other things that aren't taking photos, yes, space will be a problem. I use the 1020 as a dedicated camera and I still had to carry around a Surface to dump the photos into at the end of the day (you can also opt for uploading the pictures to OneDrive though that requires you to have access to a good internet connection which, on vacations, is seldom possible).

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply.

I found one (new) which is about 420 USD, 64GB, it's from O2 Germany, so I dont think it will have Lumia Cyan.

You mentioned that I can flash it with different ROM. I know it's okay normally on Android, but how do you do this on WIndows Phone? ANd will it destroy the warranty?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply.

I found one (new) which is about 420 USD, 64GB, it's from O2 Germany, so I dont think it will have Lumia Cyan.

You mentioned that I can flash it with different ROM. I know it's okay normally on Android, but how do you do this on WIndows Phone? ANd will it destroy the warranty?

You can do it with the Nokia Care Suite, Nokia Recovery Tool and Nokia Data Package Manager. However it WILL void your warranty. Though you can always take the phone to a Nokia Care and they'll replace the software for you and that's the only way to not void the warranty.