12-10-2014 08:13 AM
57 123
tools
    Mate, if you want an advance P&S and that you NEED the 41MP, take it. If not, take a 930. The 1020 is a P&W&S. Point and wait and shoot ^_^

But your question about trading off a DSLR vs a smarphone (more handy, offline maps, etc.) is too personal. We can't decide for you so I don't really get what do you expect from us? Please state a more objective and precise question, if you want further details about the 1020.
    10-28-2014 07:10 AM
    Mate, if you want an advance P&S and that you NEED the 41MP, take it. If not, take a 930. The 1020 is a P&W&S. Point and wait and shoot ^_^

But your question about trading off a DSLR vs a smarphone (more handy, offline maps, etc.) is too personal. We can't decide for you so I don't really get what do you expect from us? Please state a more objective and precise question, if you want further details about the 1020.
    No way I'm trading my DSLR, it's just as I explained in my first post in this thread. Carrying it around in a bag with 3 lenses (I've already done that a couple of years ago in a trip, and was quite annoying, changing lenses all the time (fixed 35mm F1.8; 18-55 F3.5-56 and ancient 70-200 F4-12).
    Also, as I stated in the last post, I would go for a 930, if it was available in my country (third world, bad economy, bad government, almost no imports, no possibility of buying it through eBay or Amazon, because of strict control in the customs). And it won't be worth it to buy it in Europe, because when I bring it back to my country, I'll lose the 3G connectivity (different freq bands), and we still don't have 4G.

I don't mind waiting for about 2 secs between shots, I'm not planning to shoot sports. Just city landscapes, occasional panoramas, some 1080p footage, a couple of night shots and that's basically it. And of course, shot's in the sky while I'm on the plane! But I want to do that with good quality and control. I could borrow a Panasonic Lumix from a friend, cause it's pocketable, but I won't be able to control the parameters of the shot.

I hope that makes it a little bit more clear.

Cheers!
    10-28-2014 07:28 AM
    I said trade off, not trade = find a compromise between DSLR+gear versus lighter solution.

Anyway, yes, the 1020 is a superb solution for your holidays to come. Have a look to my flickr Stream (www.flickr.com/photos/n8_massis), I usually shoot when on holidays :)

You will have understood the 1020 is not futureproof at all, won't receive much novelties from Denim (but will get GRD1 and following). If you can accept this, AND find a bargain for the 1020, go for it. And if you can find a camera grip, go for it too :)
    10-28-2014 08:27 AM
    I said trade off, not trade = find a compromise between DSLR+gear versus lighter solution.

Anyway, yes, the 1020 is a superb solution for your holidays to come. Have a look to my flickr Stream, I usually shoot when on holidays :)

You will have understood the 1020 is not futureproof at all, won't receive much novelties from Denim (but will get GRD1 and following). If you can accept this, AND find a bargain for the 1020, go for it. And if you can find a camera grip, go for it too :)
    Sorry, I misunderstood you about the trade off. This is not my native language, and maybe some expressions do slip off once or twice, hahaha.

Yes, I know the device isn't gonnga get all of the features in future updates, but that is kind of logical due to the SoC it carries inside. But at least it will get updated, and I trust it will get up to W10; yes, with some missing features, but the basics will be there.

Thanks.

Ohh, and I love your photos. Really nice!! I hope to get those kind of pics in my trip!!! In fact, I'll be going to London, so maybe I can replicate a couple of your angles!
    Cheers!
    10-28-2014 09:22 AM
    I had the pleasure to use the lumia 1020. I liked it, though i didn't love it. Don't get me wrong; that phone takes AMAZING pictures. I'm not sure what those reviewers/comparison sites were on, but there's a HUGE difference in quality between the other phones. Yes those android/ios has very quick shot to shot times, but there's a difference in quality; especially with XENON flash. Combine these with the grip case (extra battery) AND the tripod mount...you are set for good photos (especialyl low light and awesome light trail effects)

However i realised the phone was not for me because i'm not one who will be doing excessive photoshopping,etc,etc. I needed a good quality picture for prints, yet will allow me to get the moment. Hence why i settled with the lumia 1520. With the expected denim update, i'd expect this phone to fully realise it's potential. Yeh there's the odd white balance issue with this phone, but on the whole, it's a good 2nd in the camera phone rank. Plus it has a bigger screen with an extra column for tiles, , an sd card slot (i can move between my old phones/tablet, without transferring data), built in wireless ( i have international version) AND longer battery life...like...much much more.

IMHO, if there was a 1030; i'd have gotten that. i'd sacrifice bigger screen for that sexy hump and better battery life (here's hoping).
    10-28-2014 06:08 PM
    just to let you guys know you can get unlocked new lumia 1020 at Nokia Lumia 1020 for $325USD , same site I purchased mine around 8 months back
    12-08-2014 12:35 AM
    Just ordered a 1020 in the UK for 144 brand new via O2. Will be unlocked and used as a back up to my 930 [to take out on my mountain bike, nights out, family trips etc].

There is the upgrade to the camera grip and headphones for free offer running in the UK too!

Can't wait to get snapping with it!!
    12-10-2014 08:13 AM
57 123