Lumia 1020 still worth it October 2014?

Marco Antonio3

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I was planning to buy a 1020 a few months back but built a gaming pc instead. Now I need a phone, and was wondering since the 1020 already reached its EOL , is it still worth to get? Or should I wait for a succesor? Also keep in mind I will buy the phone unlocked, and I'm pretty sure there will be an exclusivity point with att, and I cannot wait much longer. The price on amazon for an unlocked one is 387$, so is it worth it?

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Comparing it to my 1520 and 635, I would say that the phone is fluid and responsive. The main thing I miss compared to those two phones is battery life. I typically will start running low after about 4-5 hours of moderate to heavy use, compared to those two models, which just keep going.

My other bit of advice is to make sure you get a good case and screen cover for it. I used to work at a store that sold them and I suspect that camera bulge makes them less durable than the typical Nokia tank.

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone wants to pitch in too? I'm the same with the OP, wanting to buy the phone now after so long (price reason)... But the 1020 was introduced in my country late last year, and still promoted until today. I borrowed the 1020 around May and absolutely loving it, especially the camera control. Still I have another choice which is the Galaxy K Zoom. I used the old S4 Zoom for quite a while, but sold it because the dust particle inside the lens is quite annoying. I don't see any dust proving mentioned in the K Zoom reviews, so I'm quite wary. Plus, I hate the very archaic manual control of the S4 Zoom, and I read the review is dumbed down further more for the K Zoom.

I'm not one into installing games or apps on my phones. Social networking and chat apps are all I need, so not caring so much about the apps ecosystem. I'm also content about the camera app delay and shot to shot time, somehow I can get 7/10 shots I wanted, still good.

MicrosoftLumia

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I came to the forum to post the exact same question. Glad to see more people in the same boat. I've been living with a shattered 720 for quite a while (touch still works perfectly btw). I've been in love with the 1020 for a long time, but it was out of my price range. When Nokia recently announced the 830, I decided it was time to upgrade. The phone will be released soon in my country around the price point of $480 - which is exactly the price at which I can buy a new 1020. And now you understand my conundrum. So is it still worth buying a 1020 today? Or do you guys think it won't be able to keep up with the upcoming software updates, etc.?

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
If you want a fast processor to play games get a 1520... If you want to take great pics...get a 1020... HOWEVER....the 1020 doesn't have an SD slot which is a deal breaker for most. And you want to take great pics? If you will spend 90% of your pics uploading to facebook, twitter..etc..... Bear in mind the quality of the 1020 pic will be scaled down to 5 mega pixels for uploading so you will never show the full potential of the pic unless you get people to look at them on your computer. Will you be doing that much? If not...then the 1520 is the best choice and believe me....the camera is excellent

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
As a device to lock into a two year contract with, no it is not due to newer hardware that will release in that time span. However as a device to buy now outright, yes well worth the investment.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If you love talking great photos of your kids, wildlife, or just about anything else then this is the phone to have. My wife loves her 1020, the detail I'd second to none and has stopped us from buying a proper camera 📷

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
So is it still worth buying a 1020 today? Or do you guys think it won't be able to keep up with the upcoming software updates, etc.?
It's already incompatible with Nokia Denim update. So, if you buy it now, the phone will be "as is" until you sold/broke/lost it. I have no problem with it since I'm a light user.

About no expandable storage... Again, in my brief time of using the phone, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever filling the 20 something GB with photos (not videos). For work purpose, at the end of the day I usually move the photos to my notebook and have a vacant space again. Then again, I have a habit to back up my photos to my home NAS.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My daughter has one, and has zero desire to get anything else. None. She loves it, and still plays with the camera like a kid at Christmas.

No doubt there will be newer, more advanced devices rolling out. But the L1020 is still fun for photo-fans. Keep to your budget, and shop around. But yes, if you get it at the price you can afford you will enjoy the crap out of it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If photography is your main focus, if you accept no compromise, go for the 1020 (but as said, not on contract).

I switched from the 808 to the 1020 in March this year, as Symbian started to die (changing APIs, services stopped one by one).

I just love it, because of WP (mainly), because it's fluid and because of the camera. 41MP, OIS and RAW. Wow.

It's slower to capture, yes, but it never annoyed me. Its camera won't get improved by Denim or subsequent updates, but it's not a problem to me.

Battery life: 4G/WLAN on, localisation on, my battery life is 1 day and 15 hours. And I do use it, I promise :)

This being said, all this is valid if and only if you need that 41 MP camera. With all due respect, but if it's to shoot sushis and feet on a beach, it would be overkill lol.

To be serious, we know that the 1020 will get all the GDR of 8.1 (and it's the most important, camera improvement is an extra to me), and probably Windows10 too.

The other way to tackle the question is: if you're into photography, you don't have a big choice. 930 or 1020. So again, if the sensor of the 1020 is what attracts you in this device, you don't have another choice than buying it until something better comes.

When I say something better, I don't know will there be a 1030 based on the 41MP product line, but as the 808 wasn't a boosted Nokia N8, the 1030 could go beyond the 1020 by introducing another technology/solution.

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Every Windows 8 Lumia will get Denim, even the 520. So please don't tell such lies.
Well, let me correct that, I was too focused on the camera aspect. The Lumia 1020 will get the Denim update, but only for the system changes. The faster camera shot to shot, and the moment capture feature will not come to the 1020 due to slower processor.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Midi_Amp, you're probably mostly right, but I wonder if we'll get absolutely nothing, or a few nibbles camera-wise. Nothing is clear and what's certain is that we get the new app with the new architecture anyway (without its major benefits though as you suggest)

Marco Antonio3

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to lean to the 1520, as it has that nice big screen in beautiful black and white contrast with the white color(my personal preference for phones, as this will be my first WP which I prefer after years of iOs. But does the screen size get in the way? Can everyone see what you are doing due to the large size? Also I know it has a great battery and a 20mp camera.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT GET THE 1020! If you try to switch to another phone, you will be gravely disappointed at how much the camera sucks in comparison. You've been warned!

Sent from my Nokia 909 using Tapatalk

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, let me correct that, I was too focused on the camera aspect. The Lumia 1020 will get the Denim update, but only for the system changes. The faster camera shot to shot, and the moment capture feature will not come to the 1020 due to slower processor.
The "Moment Capture" will come. The previous Version is already there (Smart Cam Modus).
Also the Shoot-to-Shoot Times will be a little bit faster because of a completely new written "Lumia Camera".

Daniel Rubino:
They will get the core aspects. Even devices that can't shoot 4K will get an "HD Moments" version. The whole architecture of the camera app/system was re-written for Lumia Denim and Lumia Camera V for speed, as processing of images now happens in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos