Is Lumia 1020 still worth buying today?

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm a photography enthusiast. I always loved taking pictures with my smartphone (I'm using a Lumia 620 right now) and to be honest I am impressed with its 5 megapixel sensor. When Lumia 1020 was released way back in July 2013, I wanted to buy one and it was my dream phone but unfortunately, at that time I can't afford to buy one. I know a lot of people already asked this question but is it still worth it to buy a Lumia 1020 or should I wait for its successor (Lumia 1025 or 1030) or the next flagship? I'm asking this because I'm planning to buy one but there are some points I want to consider. First is that everyone knows that the 1020 is reaching is EOL (End of Life) already which I'm unsure if it will still recieve WP8.1 GDR2 or even Windows Phone 10 or whatever the next version for Windows Phone. Second, I've been hearing rumors that the 1020 will not receive the Lumia Camera speed improvements from the new Lumia Denim update.While I'm buying the phone because of its camera, of course speed will be important to me because it concerns how long I take pictures and it saddens me that it will not get the faster shoot to shoot update. Specs also concern me like its battery I'm not sure if the 2000 mAh is capable enough to last considering I will be taking and uploading pictures A LOT and it doesn't have micro SD expansion. It will not even get the "Hey Cortana" feature which is for me essential and it don't support the "Sensor Core" feature. Please help me I really want the 1020 but should I buy one or wait for its successor which we are unsure if it will be coming next year. Or maybe I should try the new Lumia 830 which also attracted me? Thanks folks!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
L1020 user here, also a photography enthusiast:cool:. I agree that I'm a bit missing out on the Sensor Core feature of newer Lumias, as well as other neat tricks that may not be supported by the older processor in the L1020. However, it's safe to say that the L1020 camera is still "King" among the Lumias (note I'm not including other OS's and brands here, so as not to start another thread on who's camera is better or not :angel:).

So we return to your first words, that you're a photography enthusiast. The L1020 won't last as long as DSLRs do in terms of battery life vs number of shots. But the quality of the images are pretty much comparable, if not better, than what DSLRs produce. Besides, "Hey, Cortana" and SensorCore do not affect the photography aspect of the L1020... unless you want speed and higher shot rates which are hardware-limited. :cool:

The safest way is to simply hold on to your cash and wait for an announcement of a worthy successor. The L1020s would be in stock in a lot of stores worldwide, anyway, for some amount of time - hopefully enough time for you to buy one in case the waiting starts to get to your heels.:cool:

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I'm actually planning to buy one but decided to ask you guys first to get some advice. Do you think a Lumia 1020 successor is due next year or just a 930 successor? Been using my Lumia 620 for one in a half years already and even though I loved it, my phone is currently experiencing a major battery drain because of some hardware issue and I think it's really time for me to upgrade. I've been keen when it comes to specs and I want a phone that is future proof because it's not practical to buy a new phone every year.

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply! I'm actually planning to buy one but I asked you guys first so I can get some advice. Do you think a Lumia 1020 successor is due next year or just a 930 successor? Been using my Lumia 620 for one in a half already and even though I loved it, my phone is experiencing a major battery drain because of hardware issues and I really think it's time for me to upgrade. I've been keen when it comes to specs and I want to buy a smartphone that is future proof because it'a not practical to buy a new phone every year.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the L1020 and love it. But I would buy the 930 at the moment. It also produces nice pictures and it's much faster and future prove.

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I also considered Lumia 930 but my concerns are it don't support Glance screen, non-removable battery and no micro SD expansion. Lumia 930 is still expensive here in my country considering it's a flagship phone and I can't afford one. My top pick right now is Lumia 830 but wheny friend showed her Lumia 1020, I thought of buying one too the fact that it was my dream phone and I really love its camera and build.

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I also considered Lumia 930 but what concerns me is that it don't support Glance screen, non-removable battery and no micro SD expansion. It's also expensive here in my country considering it's a flasghip phone. My top pick right now is the Lumia 830 but when my friend showed her Lumia 1020, I was mesmerized once again and remembered that it was my dream phone and that I loved its camera and build.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
About the Lumia 1020 successor... We actually have no idea. But maybe... Just maybe, a successor would be coming next year. You see, the reason that it is still in unknown status is because the 1020 is a niche phone. Unlike flagship phones that has to be renewed every year (think 920 ---> 930), the 1020 is made to cater to a specific market (photo enthusiast, and maybe the everyday person who wishes to have a good phone). Being a niche phone, it would naturally receive less attention than the flagships. There was an article here on the Windows Central written long time ago about the 1020 and its worth. I kind of forgot when it was, so you have to search it up yourself. But the main point of that article was that, yes. There will be a successor to the 1020, but just don't expect it to come every year, maybe 1.5 year to 2 years (unlikely, as that would be too long). I'm pretty sure that Nokia (now Microsoft) device division are hard at work on a successor and PureView Phase whatever. but when we may expect one soon, nobody knows for sure.

As for the Lumia Denim update, the only special features we will not be getting are the sensorcore stuff and the 4K pictures (sad, but true). Those are more likely because of older hardware issues. The faster camera update should be an app update, so I think the 1020 should receive it too. As for the future updates, do not worry, as Microsoft has assured that all current Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgradable to Windows 10. It would be a very stupid more to abandon all their hardwork and customers they have built up over these few years, and I'm sure they would not want to repeat something like WP7 all over again.

I use a 1020 also, and I feel that it is an excellent phone. The camera is still, and will continue to be one , if not the best on a mobile phone so far. Only thing I am not happy with is the battery. Hope what I have said above help !

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! I have a question, since you're a Lumia 1020 user is it true that whenever you upload pictures, the quality of the pictures downgrade? I've been hearing a lot of things like that.

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys! For me, Lumia 1020 is really a good phone and while I love its camera so much, I'm also looking at the other specs like the battery, processor and display. I really want to buy one as it still reigns as the "King of Smartphone Camera" and is nearly unbeatable. However, my biggest concern here is that its reaching EOL which is a major concern for me. Some of it accessories like wireless charging plate and cases will be stopped. I''m asking this because I've been using my Lumia 620 for one in a half year already. It has problems unfortunately like major battery drain and I think its a hardware fault and I think it's really time for me to upgrade. Considering that I love photography, I chose Lumia 1020 as my next phone but its specs and EOL bugs me.

qnc

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it is still worth buying as well.
I recently got the L1020 and love it. New to windows phone love it too.
The only reason I bought the phone was the camera. I'm not a photo enthusiast at all, but the quality of pictures that I can get with out carrying my bulky DSLR all the time is worth it.

Being new to Windows Phone I did not read up on the sensor stuff or when or if it would get updates. (probably should have)

I think it is still a great purchase and agree with above that it is a niche phone.

Good luck.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I have a question, since you're a Lumia 1020 user is it true that whenever you upload pictures, the quality of the pictures downgrade? I've been hearing a lot of things like that.

Yes. Most online services (such as Facebook, Instagram and OneDrive) automatically reduce the resolution of the photos being uploaded to minimize data consumption. But among the phones out there, I suppose the "downgrade" effect this results in is more noticeable for the L1020.:devil:

However, there is a workaround for this for OneDrive: using the "Files" app provided by Microsoft, navigate to your Camera Roll folder*. Select both the .jpg and the __highres.jpg photos there and "Share" them to OneDrive via the menu at the bottom. This way, you'll have both the 5MP and the high resolution versions uploaded.:cool:

*- Phone > Pictures > Camera Roll

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys! For me, Lumia 1020 is really a good phone and while I love its camera so much, I'm also looking at the other specs like the battery, processor and display. I really want to buy one as it still reigns as the "King of Smartphone Camera" and is nearly unbeatable. However, my biggest concern here is that its reaching EOL which is a major concern for me. Some of it accessories like wireless charging plate and cases will be stopped. I''m asking this because I've been using my Lumia 620 for one in a half year already. It has problems unfortunately like major battery drain and I think its a hardware fault and I think it's really time for me to upgrade. Considering that I love photography, I chose Lumia 1020 as my next phone but its specs and EOL bugs me.

I've been concerned with the EOL thing as well for the L1020. However, there seems to be no one concrete definition as what EOL (End-Of-Life) actually means. Some sources say it simply means that the phone will no longer be manufactured. Others say that it means that support services will be stopped. I doubt the second one more, because if this was true then no updates would have been pushed after the EOL date (September 14, 2014) - clearly not the case since L1020s are still receiving updates.

So, going with the first "meaning", sales will still go on for as long as stocks are available... effectively making the L1020 a "limited edition" or an "endangered species".:cool: But considering that you'll be getting a brand new L1020, battery should be fine - not the best, but fine. Specs aren't bad either. There have been hiccups, of course, but it's pretty snappy and responsive. Built-in memory houses over 100 apps and 700+ photos in my L1020, though you'll need to regularly transfer them to your PC if you're a bit trigger-happy.

Charging pads, cases and other accessories are not exclusively made by Microsoft so the chances are that you would still find some in the months to come. Don't expect these to be as abundant as the accessories for other brands, though; I have always struggled finding a case purposely designed for the L1020. But a generic leather pouch does the job just the same.:angel:

At the end of the day, there's no way for us to know when the next "king" will arrive, agreeing with b0blight. But you're new phone would probably last another two years with the care it deserves. By that time, the successor to the throne of phone cameras should have been born already.:wink:

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys for your response I really appreciate it. Been planning to upgrade my phone now and based on your responses I think I may consider the Lumia 1020. Though we'll still see in the next coming months or next year, we may not know A Lumia 1020 successor is already due.

heyitsianj

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I have one final question. Since most of you guys are Lumia 1020 user or had used Lumia 1020, of course I will not ask you anymore about the camera because it is already given and the quality is really superb. How about the other specs like the display, battery, speed and audio? One example is the display, I checked the specs and it is an AMOLED touchscreen with 332 ppi with ClearBlack display and PureMotion HD+ and I heard that PureMotion greatly enhances sunlight readability meaning you can view your phone in direct sunlight plus it promotes smooth scrolling and super-sensitive touch. It has the same on Lumia 920 but is the display really good? I am also concerned about the battery because it only has 2000 mAh and for a high-end smartphone for me it is really weak. What do you guys can say about is battery is it good?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I have one final question. Since most of you guys are Lumia 1020 user or had used Lumia 1020, of course I will not ask you anymore about the camera because it is already given and the quality is really superb. How about the other specs like the display, battery, speed and audio? One example is the display, I checked the specs and it is an AMOLED touchscreen with 332 ppi with ClearBlack display and PureMotion HD+ and I heard that PureMotion greatly enhances sunlight readability meaning you can view your phone in direct sunlight plus it promotes smooth scrolling and super-sensitive touch. It has the same on Lumia 920 but is the display really good? I am also concerned about the battery because it only has 2000 mAh and for a high-end smartphone for me it is really weak. What do you guys can say about is battery is it good?

Screen: Colors are pretty vivid, but you could always adjust the saturation and color temperature through the color profile in the phone settings: Settings > display > Color profile. You can also enable sunlight readability in this section, and paired with automatic brightness, reading under direct sunlight is easy... just don't let the sun reflect off the screen into your eyes, of course.:cool:
As for dpi, I think it's high enough for one NOT to see the grain or pixels while looking at the screen. Even when I look at the screen with my eyes around 6 inches from it I could still see and read the small icons and text without noticeable deterioration. For a person with certified 20-20 vision, this is sufficient for me.:angel:
You can also toggle "sensitive touch" which allows you to interact with the screen while "wearing most types of gloves", presumably the not-so-thick ones. But I have never found the necessity to activate it, so I kept the screen sensitivity to normal. Scrolling has been smooth in general, but of course when there have been a few hiccups especially a few seconds after exiting certain memory intensive apps (like Skype) and while installing an app.

Lastly, the battery: average discharge rate for me is around 10.7% per hour* with the usual daily tasks (browsing, travelling, counting steps in the background, taking photos, SMS, Skype, etc., but without excessive video taking/playing and gaming). This means I have to charge my phone at least twice each day (actually thrice each day since I don't let it drop below 40% and I keep it plugged in beside my laptop for the majority of the time I'm home). Definitely not the best. Though I could get a few more hours of battery life with the camera grip attachment, I've learned to live with it and so I never leave the house without a fully-charged 6600mAh battery pack.:cool:

*- You'll get more out of your battery if you connect to WiFi as much as you can instead of 3G/4G/LTE - I just choose not to.:devil:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Great responses from gpobernardo. From another photo enthusiast: The 1020 is a great phone, with great battery life, remarkable/unique photography properties, and a beautiful, bright AMOLED display. There will always be newer phones, computers, cars, etc., BUT, BUT...: You've already missed out on TWO days -at least, and counting- of wonderful stills and videos!!

veknam

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes! It is still a wonderful phone and fabulous camera (especially if you use the pro camera), especially if it is updated with 8.1

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
For those that want the best camera on a phone the 1020 remains light years ahead of the rest. Bigger sensor (meaning better light capture I darker scenes with less noise), 41mp, ability to record in raw, 5mp oversampled copy for facebook and such, and multielement Carl Zeiss glass. Nothing else comes close!

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Want not buy a used 1020 on eBay or swappa so you don't have to sweat the price so much. Just make sure it's unlocked 🔓 and ask the seller a couple questions...you can find one that is in great shape.... You just need to hunt around to find a seller who planned to sell his phone on eBay from the beginning...ie when he first got it... So he really took care of it... I've done this before and its worked great for me, just be a little selective about which used phone you buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99