Have both 1520 and 1020, which one to keep??

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my 1520 for the past year; got it as soon as it came out. However, I sent it to warranty repairs and got a new yellow 1020 in the meantime. Now I have a new 1520 back from AT&T. Love the ergonomics of the 1020 and its ultra awesome camera, but the 1520 is the current king in terms of the big screen and performance, and battery life. However, I think I have a bit of neck problems due to looking down at the screen instead of propping up the phone. Which one I should keep?

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I say keep the 1020 enjoy the great camera and wait for the Windows Phone 10 offering it would have high end specs and you'll feel the weight of the upgrade more. :) Or if you're into Cortana keep the 1520 which when it gets Denim and Lumia Camera will also get Cortana voice interactions even when the phone is locked.

mth17

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You have already listed the pros of each phone, so it boils down to just which features in each phone you prefer more...

• Would you rather a phone that is newer, has a bigger screen, and a snappier performance?
OR
  • Would you rather a phone that is possibly easier to hold and has a slightly superior camera?
I would say the 1020, which I have, just because its easier to hold.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am using the 1020 for a few days, just to get a feel of how it behaves. I had the 920 first when it came out, then replaced the 920 with the 1520, but then went back now to try the 1020 out. It feels great, but my only concern is the battery life, which gets depleted much faster than with the 1520... The jury is still out.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have decided to keep the 1520. I liked the 1020, and the camera is very good, but is not worth it compared to everything I am losing: battery, power, screen... I know the size is large, but the pros outweigh the cons by a lot. I used the 1020 for 5 days and instead of enjoying it, it seemed like a downgrade to me. Back to the big (screened) leagues!

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you use the 1020 camera for. The 1520 is the superior smartphone, but the 1020 is only a half-step away from being a professional tool for serious photography enthusiasts.

The 1520 brings speed, an incredible battery, gorgeous screen for TV shows and movies, a more than capable camera that yields incredible shots in its own right, and expandable storage in addition to 16GB already on the handset. It's a mini-computer in your pocket.

The 1020 brings that camera of course, but it also brings a far more discreet design-- as in, it's not the size of a small car. The 1020 fits in any pocket, has a wide array of minimalist cases, and can be operated with a single hand. The 1520 is a two hand device, and if you're somebody who fumbles a lot, stick with the 1020. But it's very limited in its storage capacity, and given the incredible size of the shots it can take, that was the absolute WORST thing Nokia could have done, and it was frankly a boneheaded decision. I mean, what photographer doesn't work with SD and Memory cards? Every DSLR has this because those cameras BREAK. It was just an all around terrible decision to cripple the 1020 with that lack of storage.

Just some things to consider. :)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Can you afford to keep both? that's what I would do. The camera in the 1020 is amazing. The best in the industry of phones. Acutally, the camera bests a lot of point and shoot cameras although apple users will argue with you black and blue the iPhone camera is better. NOT TRUE. The 1520s camera is awesome but not as good as the 1020. My wife and I took our 2 1020s on vacation 2 times in the past month and a half, and got awesome photos both in the day and night. The first trip I took my two Fuji pro cameras with us, used them a bit. most of the photos were taken with our 1020s.

The photos are that good.

As for battery life, We get all day and a bit out of a charge with the 1020 unless we are using here drive. Then all bets are off. But a good plug in charger fixes that.

I am looking at picking up the 1520 and 830 as well. Just because I love phones.

Arup Roy Chowdhury

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
The camera is awesome and truly well worth keeping and the only android phone that comes close to it to an extent is the superb Xperia Z3 cam which is shades better than over hyped iphone 5 or 6. The later is no match for 1020, never ever will be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre