Picture size

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys!
Recently i was going through all of my photos - older ones and the new ones. I did notice, that older pictures are bigger in size than those i snapped recently. I'm talking about oversampled ones (5 MP). They used to be ~1.6-2.3 mb size, now they are 600-800 kb.
Am i doing something wrong? I'm copying my photos directly from the phone, so there is no compression going on.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys!
Recently i was going through all of my photos - older ones and the new ones. I did notice, that older pictures are bigger in size than those i snapped recently. I'm talking about oversampled ones (5 MP). They used to be ~1.6-2.3 mb size, now they are 600-800 kb.
Am i doing something wrong? I'm copying my photos directly from the phone, so there is no compression going on.

I have over 2000+ photos through my L1020. Most of photos (both old and new) are greater than 1MB in file size. However, picture file size is affected by the amount of color and brightness information it contains. If you take a photo of a black screen (or simply take a photo while covering the lens cover), you will have a smaller photo size (mine was at around 500kB for an almost completely black image). The more details your photo has, the higher the file size.

This also means that "reframing" the photos by enlarging the photo (virtual zoom) reduces the file size (since the individual pixels are not as over-sampled as they originally were).

Are your more recent photos of darker subjects? Or are you "reframing" your photos?

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Thanks for Your reply. I'm aware of that and to be honest, it is partially the issue. I have some landscape photos which are bigger in size, but still. In the past I had some photos exceed 2.5 mb, now it's almost impossible to do that. I'm just wondering if Nokia changed algorithms or compression methods to achieve this.
I was just worried if I have missed any option after 8.1 update that influences size over picture quality, but it looks like I'm overreacting :p
Thank You again for Your reply :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As gpobernardo advised, image data and in particular reframing can reduce the image size quite dramatically. Are your full resolution images as large as usual?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb