denim on the 1020

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys really believe that the 1020 camera speed can't be improved through software optimization only? I DONT' think so. That's why I said the hardware excuse does not make sense.

@dKp1977 seriously I just laugh at people like you who make quick assumption and generalize that people who complains doesn't know much. As a consumer I have the very right to complain for lack of support. 1020's main feature is the camera. I think you get my point.

As a consumer you DO have the right to complain. But lack of support? If there isn't any more room for improvement, what support do you expect? But you may still complain of course. If you have at least the slightest bit of knowledge. Which you obviously don't. As you prove in the very same post again:

Do you guys really believe that the 1020 camera speed can't be improved through software optimization only? I DONT' think so. That's why I said the hardware excuse does not make sense.

If it makes sense to you or not, it's a MATTER.OF.FACT. It's nice, that you BELIEVE it can be optimized through further software tweaks. Well, belief belongs in churches. You can optimize as much as you want. As soon as you hit the hardware limits, you're done. And this is what has happened to the 1020. Tbh, it has already been very close to the limits when it was released. Something that was obvious and known. There wasn't the slightest doubt about that. Didn't stop people like you from ignoring the obvious and keeping on complaining of course.

And the major selling point for the 1020's camera was the quality of its pictures. NOT the speed in which these were taken. Think about it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Can't believe you guys are crying. This is like crying over Touch ID not being available for your iPhone 5, even though it doesn't have a fingerprint scanner. Getting Lumia Camera 5 simply is impossible. At least you are still getting WP8.1.1, they are giving you the mobile data toggle that you have been crying over before.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you understand how chipsets work and how design regardless of gpu clock speed is important to the processing of data especially in this case. A gpu is not the same thing as an imaging chip with dedicated pipelines for image processing. It's not something you can compare. I would read more about this than making comments like above. Just saying. It's not valid to compare the two.

Yes they have different architecture but it's not an excuse NOT to optimize the camera through software.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Which certainly works out great on latest high end processors. Something not to be found in a 1020. Jesus.

You can code to run a process at the background even with a single core processor hardware if the API or OS allows it. So what now?

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
As a consumer you DO have the right to complain. But lack of support? If there isn't any more room for improvement, what support do you expect? But you may still complain of course. If you have at least the slightest bit of knowledge. Which you obviously don't. As you prove in the very same post again:

If it makes sense to you or not, it's a MATTER.OF.FACT. It's nice, that you BELIEVE it can be optimized through further software tweaks. Well, belief belongs in churches. You can optimize as much as you want. As soon as you hit the hardware limits, you're done. And this is what has happened to the 1020. Tbh, it has already been very close to the limits when it was released. Something that was obvious and known. There wasn't the slightest doubt about that. Didn't stop people like you from ignoring the obvious and keeping on complaining of course.

And the major selling point for the 1020's camera was the quality of its pictures. NOT the speed in which these were taken. Think about it.

After reading your reasoning about hardware limitation I understand that you don't know much.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
After reading your reasoning about hardware limitation I understand that you don't know much.

Oh my god. Alright, I'm giving up on you. Its pointless. I don't expect everyone to be tech savvy, but I do expect at least a little bit of comprehension. Unfortunately you're lacking both. The only thing you're obviously great in is being ignorant and stubborn. Not worth it, sorry.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
poddie said: <<Today 10:38 AM From what I have heard, it's not that the 1020 CAN'T have the improvements, it's that they
would have to code them much differently for
the older processors. Given that Windows 10 is
right around the corner, it seems they have
decided not to expend the effort.
My biggest problem with the whole situation is that Microsoft seems completely content with no flagship until W10
comes out in nine months or whatever.>>
W10 it's not a flagship. It's just an O.S.

Correct. The problem is that Microsoft appears to have decided that no flagship is needed until they release Windows 10. I have no idea why this isn't a bigger story... it seems like a huge mistake that nobody is even seeing as a problem. They have completely given up on the high end market until at least the Windows 10 debut, even to the point of discontinuing the flagships they do have (Icon and 1520).

amit satiya

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
You might be oversmart but you cant ignore the truth after last developer preview update Lumia 1020 has bcome laggy n buggy. Apps r crashing so often. I am .net developer and big Microsoft - Lumia fan. Using WP since its inception. My Lumia 1020 has also gone through many updates but never had this issue. This last update has ****ed it badly. Before that I was using 920 and never had any issue after updates. This is first time and you gotta believe it. You just cant deny bcos it never happened before. I have been asking MS about fixing this in next update. Hoping windows 10 to come soon. Last option I have to try now is to reset my device as system memory showing 5.14 GB space.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Installed the Denim update earlier today, soon after that became some smaller update. IDK what it does but my phone feels just like before. Running flawlessly. Actually, only difference I've noticed so far is that after you enter password the main screen becomes available much faster. It's almost not laggy at all. Which is nice. I'm not even waiting any updates for the camera, it's as good as it can be already. Lumia 1020 is old already (actually, it was quite old technologically when it became available), there's not much that can be done.

Ulwan25

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I get the speed thingy but I don't get why they can't put the new image algorithm in Denim itself. Wasn't Nokia always did improve it for the latest update? Seriously, I could live up with the slow speed as long as my device capture the best picture and detail plus without that annoying yellow tint and aggresive sharpness. Microsoft, what the hell?

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I get the speed thingy but I don't get why they can't put the new image algorithm in Denim itself. Wasn't Nokia always did improve it for the latest update? Seriously, I could live up with the slow speed as long as my device capture the best picture and detail plus without that annoying yellow tint and aggresive sharpness. Microsoft, what the hell?

I've used to work my way with those fullres DNG-files, I edit them with Lightroom same way than I edit my DSLR photos. I agree that those 5mpx small files are a tad bit too sharp and just a little too saturated but I don't use them much. They're perfect for posting to facebook for example and other such kind of media. I've not noticed any yellow tint tho.

dexxx87

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

+1020 bad support from MS

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Camera can be improved to start faster on L1020. Other cam apps have shown this. But MS does not care, that's all and that's the truth. Just compare the startup time of the build in app with the Lumia cam app. Also, you can make the algorithms better. For me, this bad support means that my next phone will be a mainstream phone and not a niche cam phone that hopefully will have better support.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Camera can be improved to start faster on L1020. Other cam apps have shown this. But MS does not care, that's all and that's the truth. Just compare the startup time of the build in app with the Lumia cam app. Also, you can make the algorithms better. For me, this bad support means that my next phone will be a mainstream phone and not a niche cam phone that hopefully will have better support.

Oh please. The 1020 is a great phone. Arguably still the best camera on a phone. Just because something feels slow 2 years after release is not a reason to beat up on it. I'm sure the next camera phone from Microsoft will be faster just like the much more recent 930 and 1520 are now fast. With newer technology comes improvements.

lefffen1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Yes it can and they already did this with the Nokia Camera Beta app that has now been made unavailable for "old" phones and renamed to Lumia Camera Classic on newer phones. I still have Nokia Camera Beta installed on my 1020 and the start up time is around 2.5 seconds and on our "new" Lumia Camera app it takes more than 4.5 seconds to start.

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes it can and they already did this with the Nokia Camera Beta app that has now been made unavailable for "old" phones and renamed to Lumia Camera Classic on newer phones. I still have Nokia Camera Beta installed on my 1020 and the start up time is around 2.5 seconds and on our "new" Lumia Camera app it takes more than 4.5 seconds to start.

how did you get Nokia Camera Beta? I would love to try it, is there a way I can install this maybe via XAP install from SD card?

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Things to improve on Lumia Camera of 1020:

1. App startup
2. Shot to shot speed
3. Focus

If the rumored Windows 10 would support Android apps and the above is definitely coming to Lumia 1030, I might stay with Windows Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss