denim on the 1020

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh please. The 1020 is a great phone. Arguably still the best camera on a phone. Just because something feels slow 2 years after release is not a reason to beat up on it. I'm sure the next camera phone from Microsoft will be faster just like the much more recent 930 and 1520 are now fast. With newer technology comes improvements.

No no no.. Microsoft simply HAS to put money and effort into a two years old product that they haven't even produced themselves. I mean, that's what all OEMs do, right? Samsung still offers updates and huge improvements for devices they released a year or more ago. And so does HTC.. Oh, wait a minute.
:D

Seriously though... Why the hell should Microsoft do that? The phone isn't manufactured anymore. It's 2 years old. It was built by Nokia, not MS. And what matters most: it's still one hell of a great device.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The phone came about one year ago to Germany. So please stop the 2 year crap. It's 2 year hardware but not a 2 year phone. You should support an one year old device I think.... Especially when you're lacking of high end devices and want to get market share.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The phone came about one year ago to Germany. So please stop the 2 year crap. It's 2 year hardware but not a 2 year phone. You should support an one year old device I think.... Especially when you're lacking of high end devices and want to get market share.
Complaining here won't do anything though. The 1020 simply cannot get the Lumia camera due to its hardware. Sorry man. There are other devices to upgrade to but remember, you will ALWAYS have the best pictures taken on a smartphone (till a 1030 comes out)

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How do you know that? Are you a MS developer? People talk a lot, but do we have a proof that this is all about hardware limitations? Don't get me wrong,I love my phone. But the startup time is so slow compared to other phones with similar hardware which start their cam app within a second...

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How do you know that? Are you a MS developer? People talk a lot, but do we have a proof that this is all about hardware limitations? Don't get me wrong,I love my phone. But the startup time is so slow compared to other phones with similar hardware which start their cam app within a second...

There's something called common sense. Only few people seem to make use of it these days though. Good thing is, you don't even have to work for MS to be able to understand certain aspects of technology.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There's something called common sense. Only few people seem to make use of it these days though. Good thing is, you don't even have to work for MS to be able to understand certain aspects of technology.

Common sense would lead you towards incompetence with Microsoft and not hardware. There are PLENTY of older phones with camera apps launching quickly.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

Give me an example of phone like Lumia 1020,with similar hardware

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Give me an example of phone like Lumia 1020,with similar hardware

There is none. There may be dozens of phones having the same amount of RAM and the same or at least similar CPU, but none of these sport a 41MP camera. Not even close. That's why there's no way to compare any of these devices with the 1020. And that's also the very reason why there's pretty much no optimization possible anymore. At least not without replacing hardware.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But I think MS owes us sharper jpegs, focussing as quick as MS camera, and less warming and skewed tints. The white balance is buggy and doesn't reflect proper color on jpegs. Try testing a jpeg from a 930 vs 1020 at night with same ISO, shutter, same balance preset and you can easily see the difference. Also, if you compare to the 830 the 1020 produces very soft jpegs. The 1020 also has incorrect shutter speeds for flash. It keeps the shutter speed too slow leading to yellow flash shots. If you select a manual shutter speed the issue is greatly reduced.

My point being that they have not optimized the best camera to produce photos with proper white balance, sharpening, and focusing. They can do these things, as they are all software tweaks. But they didn't. They don't care because they are focusing on the 800 chipsets and we get a device that could be even better but isn't. That leaves me with a sour taste for a device that was never fully optimized for the items mentioned above.

Last edited:

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Here is the thing guys. L1020 is one and a half years old and it was built around the chip that was outdated as hell at that point. It was discontinued few months ago and won't get significant improvements in future firmware updates since Elop's company f-d up in 2013.
While I bought this device after some researches and I knew about the SoC problems, people who are buying a flagship phone doesn't have to do it. They have all the rights to think that all hardware inside their $1000 phone are up to date at very least.
It's a worrisome tendency and it seems like Microsoft continues to make the phones around an outdated SoC's. While there is not a big difference between 800 and 80x, when MSFT will put out a flagship on 805 when everybody else will be using 810, L1020 situation will happen again.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is the thing guys. L1020 is one and a half years old and it was built around the chip that was outdated as hell at that point. It was discontinued few months ago and won't get significant improvements in future firmware updates since Elop's company f-d up in 2013.
While I bought this device after some researches and I knew about the SoC problems, people who are buying a flagship phone doesn't have to do it. They have all the rights to think that all hardware inside their $1000 phone are up to date at very least.
It's a worrisome tendency and it seems like Microsoft continues to make the phones around an outdated SoC's. While there is not a big difference between 800 and 80x, when MSFT will put out a flagship on 805 when everybody else will be using 810, L1020 situation will happen again.

Sorry, but if people decide and shell out a couple hundred bucks for something without doing any proper research beforehand, they don't have any rights to complain.

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they don't, but don't be surprised if they won't give a flying duck about Nokia and Windows Phone when they'll decide to get another $1k phone.
If I recall correctly, the most recent examples of phones with premium price and not-so-premium hardware were Samesung Galaxy Alpha and Fire Phone, and both flopped miserably. Your idea of how people should behave and what rights do they have doesn't make people act differently.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they don't, but don't be surprised if they won't give a flying duck about Nokia and Windows Phone when they'll decide to get another $1k phone.
If I recall correctly, the most recent examples of phones with premium price and not-so-premium hardware were Samesung Galaxy Alpha and Fire Phone, and both flopped miserably. Your idea of how people should behave and what rights do they have doesn't make people act differently.

First off, I have yet to see a single Windows Phone device for $1000. There's not a single one up to date. The only devices in that price range that immediately come to my mind are iPhones. Funny enough, you don't see many complain about the lack of support or whatnot. Because support is uber at Apple? No flipping way. Yes, they do support their older devices. But the newer the OS, the more terrible it runs on older hardware. Lags, stuttering, crashes. Very well known and even better documented issues. Yet you sill don't see their users complain about it. They gladly pay 800 bucks or more and are completely happy with what they get in return. Why? Because Apple's hardware is top notch and far ahead of the competition? Let's be honest here, it's not superior or inferior in any way compared to other flagship devices. And as I've pointed out, the support isn't that much better either. People just accept, that there are certain things that simply can't be done on older devices. They accept, that newer OS versions are of course optimized towards the latest hardware. This means that there are a lot of features, they won't get for their older handset, and a newer OS will even cause stability and performance issues. Yet they do not complain, because they just KNOW how things work. If they want to make the most out of an OS, they always will have to get the latest and greatest hardware. No matter how much they paid for their current phone.
Funny enough the most whining happens over at Android. People expect low end devices to be able to perform as good as flagships (e.g. games). And the very same is happening on Windows Phones. I can't even count anymore how many users I've seen crying in these very forums that games lack support for 512MB RAM or run like crap on their outdated toys. The store ratings are also telling the very same story.
So how come that Apple uses pay a premium but almost never complain, but totally accept their fate?
Why does it seem that mobile gadgets are where people expect to get more and more in return for what they paid? When I purchase a cheap car, I certainly do not expect it to blow a Porsche out of the water. And I'm sure most other people who buy cars don't do either. Yet they do when it comes to smartphones, tablets etc.
There's (almost) nothing wrong about how Microsoft, Apple, HTC or Samsung act. It's the people who are the issue here.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly enough, windows (not phone) have improved running on older hardware, my 7 yrs old laptop came with vista now updated through out the updates till windows 8.1 runs better from the day 1 of my laptop experience. So it is wrong to expect similar with windows phone. But then again story is completely different for windows phone guys since there is only one vendor to support vs n number of vendors supporting laptop/ PCs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett