Hey All!

Hope you're well.

I was trying out the different cameras on the Lumia 1020 and noticed that when the built in camera application is loaded as the default and opened by pressing the camera button while the phone is locked, it is relatively quicker than when the Lumia camera is set as the default.

I realised, that if I want to take a quick photo, I wouldn't have time to adjust the settings and so can point and shoot using the Microsoft camera. I've pinned the Lumia camera to my start screen, so if I want to take a photo with manual settings, I will have time and can use the Lumia camera app.

I'm running developer preview with Cyan on my 1020.

Try it and let me know if you notice the difference too!

:)
    colinkiama likes this.
    01-04-2015 02:37 PM
    Hey All!

Hope you're well.

I was trying out the different cameras on the Lumia 1020 and noticed that when the built in camera application is loaded as the default and opened by pressing the camera button while the phone is locked, it is relatively quicker than when the Lumia camera is set as the default.

I realised, that if I want to take a quick photo, I wouldn't have time to adjust the settings and so can point and shoot using the Microsoft camera. I've pinned the Lumia camera to my start screen, so if I want to take a photo with manual settings, I will have time and can use the Lumia camera app.

on microsoft camera, tap the lens icon and you will see camera apps you can launch, tap lumia camera and it will load quickly.
    humanhowever likes this.
    01-04-2015 02:55 PM
    on microsoft camera, tap the lens icon and you will see camera apps you can launch, tap lumia camera and it will load quickly.
    Thanks for your reply. Though that wasn't my point.

In a fast situation when you want to take a quick photo, Microsoft camera opened using the camera button is better as it loads quicker. And then with another press of the button you have your photo.

When you have all the time in the world, such as taking a photo of scenery or the dessert you're eating, then you can use the Lumia camera app to allow for tweaking.
    belodion likes this.
    01-04-2015 03:13 PM
    You got it right. I use MS camera as default for all those 'instant photo' situations, rest of the times it is Lumia Camera.
    Nokia Camera Beta (now branded Lumia Camera Classic) was faster to start up than Nokia Camera (now branded as Lumia Camera) but 1020 no longer has it published.
    humanhowever likes this.
    01-06-2015 10:01 PM
    Hey All!

Hope you're well.

Yes, there is a difference, mainly because Lumia Camera takes high resolution photos while the default Microsoft Camera only takes 5MP photos. For the same reason, other apps that take high resolution photos (such as Proshot) also have a slightly longer (~3.25 seconds) start up time. Apps that take only 5MP photos have a shorter (~1.15 seconds) start up time.

A few months ago, a camera app (which I will not mention so as not to defame them) in the store initially garnered a lot of attention by boasting its fast start-up time, comparing it against other good camera apps that take high resolution photos (such as ProShot and Lumia Camera). However, looking deeper into that app showed that it only took 5MP shots which explains it's faster start up time. I contacted the developer of that app about it, and he (or she) replied that "all camera apps in phones only use 5MP" - he (or she) must have been out of his (or her) mind! Shortly after, the developers updated their app description to reflect the fact that their app (back then) took only 5MP photos.
    Last edited by gpobernardo; 01-11-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typographical error
    humanhowever likes this.
    01-08-2015 04:17 AM
    Check out "Camera 1020" for Windows Phone. The startup time is awesome and it takes 38mp photos and also videos!
    01-11-2015 11:33 PM
    Check out "Camera 1020" for Windows Phone. The startup time is awesome and it takes 38mp photos and also videos!
    That app is very unstable caused my phone to shut down twice
    01-12-2015 01:06 AM