Why waste a perfect opportunity to put us out of our misery?

Cameron Todd

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Interesting - I seem to see a little lens in every smart phone on the market and several of the phones are rated to be better cameras than the 1020. By what logic is it the only camera phone? The size of the sensor may be your standard but it isn't the standard of the industry, nor is it the standard of the lion's share of consumers.
Which phones do you mean? That rate higher than the 1020

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
All WP 8 phones (certainly all Lumias) will get WP10. It is not unreasonable to think that will come with a new camera app. Maybe they just didn't put much effort into WP8 anymore.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
W10 by itself is not going to improve our phones. I want better firmware for better integration of software improvements. L1020 shouldn't be excluded as it is the only flagship remaining.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
We all understand that there are limitations and what not with the hardware of the various Lumia phones. So the 1020 owners cant have 4K recording, cant have living images, etc. I am sure the majority of them would agree to the fact that Living images is not what the 1020 users want. I don't think they would be upset if they don't have the extras with Cortana's passive listening or for that matter any other fancy stuff. They got "The Camera Phone" so they could take good pictures when they want and not wait for the loading, resuming and carrying on that happens when the perfect moment is gone :( Can you please find out if this is going to be fixed. You would be our only source to the root.
Mods can you please get this to Daniel's attention in case there are too many threads to filter through.
Cheers
Skamath

Bottom line 1020 hardware is not really up to snuff for a 41mp camera. The successor that uses Qualcomm 810 will be the device you want.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Laura
I am aware that he doesn't work in MS and for that matter cant add features or designs.
The question was can he find out? and if the Imaging guru give us the faster cam that we used to have at one stage. It is not a feature that I am after for the phone to support. On the contrary I wouldn't worry about Cortana or 4k or anything. I would like to know if the basic Lumia camera app would be improved to be snappy or not?

Cheers

Are you able to download Lumia Camera 5 on your 1020? I did on my 1520 (w/o Denim) and it still loads way faster. See link below. This would be interesting to know.

Exclusive: This one weird trick will let you use Lumia Camera 5 on your Cyan PureView phone

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The technologically it is also ancient in both the phone and camera worlds. It is completely unreasonable to expect perpetual upgrades for old hardware and it really doesn't matter how much you paid. This device was announced nearly 20 months ago and has been for sale for 18 months. It was also a niche product upon release and is even more so now. The sense of entitlement really is staggering at times.

Most activated Lumias are running off the S4 platform. Rewriting Lumia Camera for S4 means having the new app on the 520, 620, 720, 820, 920, 1020, etc. Implementing Lumia Camera does require firmware development, however, these phones use a very similar system so it should not be an issue. (maybe if their code is poor, who knows.. :eck:)

I have no sense of entitlement when it comes to Microsoft.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line 1020 hardware is not really up to snuff for a 41mp camera. The successor that uses Qualcomm 810 will be the device you want.

Lumia 830 is up to snuff. Lumia 1020 had faster hardware across the board. Problem?
Microsoft is in bed with Qualcomm. The shift in SoC is very much like the WP7 > WP8 debacle.
Surprised that people are not catching on.

The reason why the Lumia 910 did not get WP8 was not because of some hardware limitation, they literally focused on Qualcomm's new S4 Platform in kernel development.

Understandable, but a highly unethical contract... But Microsoft will never make this mistake again. They will make sure that you all think that you are getting the support they have claimed to extend ;))

Microsoft has been phasing out S4 development right after the Lumia 925 was released.. Get ready for Windoze 10!

EDIT: Hackers have gotten WP8 to boot on HD2.
I understand Microsoft's strategy though

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 is up to snuff. Lumia 1020 had faster hardware across the board. Problem?
Microsoft is in bed with Qualcomm. The shift in SoC is very much like the WP7 > WP8 debacle.

The reason why the Lumia 910 did not get WP8 was not because of some hardware limitation, they literally focused on Qualcomm's new S4 Platform in kernel development.

Understandable, but a highly unethical contract... But Microsoft will never make this mistake again. They will make sure that you all think that you are getting the support they have claimed to extend ;))

Microsoft has been phasing out S4 development right after the Lumia 925 was released.. Get ready for Windoze 10!

But does the HD2 perform well? Can games and complex apps run without lagging? Those are the million dollar questions.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

It is more than that.

Here are Qualcomm specs for what each SoC natively supports as max megapixels for image processing:

Snapdragon S4 Plus - 20mp (used by Lumia 1020/41mp)
Snapdragon 400 - 13.5mp (used by Lumia 830/10mp)
Snapdragon 800 - 21mp (used by Lumia Icon/1520/20mp)

If you note, out of the listed phones only the 1020s megapixel count exceeds the SoCs native image processing capability and by quite a bit. So updating it and making the experience as fast as an 830/icon/1520 would be very difficult as it seems it was a "hack" of sorts to implement 41mp on the s4 plus in the first place.

However, Snapdragon 810 supports up to 55mp. This can be used for.a future successor to the 1020 with better performance.

Broomcorn

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
W10 will be interesting to see what changes in the camera of the 1020. I'm not really expecting major camera changes, however...

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't need more megapixels, just great images. They should concentrate on making the imaging spot on. Quick shooting, great video capabilities. Not eager for any 3d gestures or fingerprint sensors, just want a stellar photo experience, that can be used straight from the pocket by an amateur. With some top end features available for the more adept.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 is a lost cause, since the hardware limits what it can do. The 920's processor was old when it came out and the 1020 came out almost a year later with the same thing. You can't expect a phone that has an old processor when it comes out to last as long as a phone that is actually running modern hardware. Now that the 1020's been out for almost a year and a half, the processor is super old. Hopefully future phones will come out on modern hardware so this doesn't happen again. In other words, the Lumia 1030 had better not just be the same processor as the 930. It should have whatever the Galaxy S6 will. Specs aren't everything, but shipping new phones with two-year-old processors (2013's Galaxy S4 had the Snapdragon 800) means we'll have short-lived flagships like the 1020. We used to say WP didn't need fast processors, but hardware-dependent features like denim camera and hey cortana, as well as the UI slowdown on S4 processor phones, have shown that to not be true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb