Why waste a perfect opportunity to put us out of our misery?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is more than that.

Here are Qualcomm specs for what each SoC natively supports as max megapixels for image processing:

Snapdragon S4 Plus - 20mp (used by Lumia 1020/41mp)
Snapdragon 400 - 13.5mp (used by Lumia 830/10mp)
Snapdragon 800 - 21mp (used by Lumia Icon/1520/20mp)

If you note, out of the listed phones only the 1020s megapixel count exceeds the SoCs native image processing capability and by quite a bit. So updating it and making the experience as fast as an 830/icon/1520 would be very difficult as it seems it was a "hack" of sorts to implement 41mp on the s4 plus in the first place.

However, Snapdragon 810 supports up to 55mp. This can be used for.a future successor to the 1020 with better performance.

That is the reference specifications. Kind really a hack, but Nokia worked with Qualcomm on the imaging processor.

Problem with Qualcomm is that their implementation sucks, discrete imaging processor like the 808 would be the way to go. That is not likely with future models...

1030 could benefit from a 810 CPU if they are going with Qualcomm, and they will be going with Qualcomm.... So inefficient...

However, the camera app speed and little bells like HDR in 5MP are easily achievable as we are getting Windows 10..

OPs concern was with white balancing as well, and it was very good until Amber update.

I'm really hoping their code is poorly written and documented....

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line 1020 hardware is not really up to snuff for a 41mp camera. The successor that uses Qualcomm 810 will be the device you want.

You have no idea wht you are talking abt, faster app boot has nothing to do with 41MP, living images & HDR could be brought to 1020, if proshot can do it then y not lumia camera?, 1020 doesnt have these features as MS is lazy and incompetant by choice, thats it!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You have no idea wht you are talking abt, faster app boot has nothing to do with 41MP, living images & HDR could be brought to 1020, if proshot can do it then y not lumia camera?, 1020 doesnt have these features as MS is lazy and incompetant by choice, thats it!

Nope i have a good idea what I am talking about. ARM SoCs are not like an Intel x86 CPU. They have much stricter limitations and generally less power with some things simply being impossible for the hardware.

The Lumia 1020 exceeds the specifications of the s4 Plus image processing by double. That means there was likely some highly custom hacks to make 41mp happen. Thus, unlike every other windows phone coding for a new or updated app becomes very, very difficult compared to any other Lumia and performance will likely always be worse than cameras which fall within the soc spec even with a fully optimized app.

The 1020 did things which normally would not be possible with the s4 plus. But as a consequence it will be difficult to maintain and update the camera app going forward due to all the custom coding involved. The real solution is a successor based on the 805/810 SoC.

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope i have a good idea what I am talking about. ARM SoCs are not like an Intel x86 CPU. They have much stricter limitations and generally less power with some things simply being impossible for the hardware.

The Lumia 1020 exceeds the specifications of the s4 Plus image processing by double. That means there was likely some highly custom hacks to make 41mp happen. Thus, unlike every other windows phone coding for a new or updated app becomes very, very difficult compared to any other Lumia and performance will likely always be worse than cameras which fall within the soc spec even with a fully optimized app.

The 1020 did things which normally would not be possible with the s4 plus. But as a consequence it will be difficult to maintain and update the camera app going forward due to all the custom coding involved. The real solution is a successor based on the 805/810 SoC.

Yep, processor on the S4 is the bottleneck. The imaging processing hardware on the 1020 is slightly different from reference. Regardless, there needs to be software 'hacks' as Ruined has already mentioned.

Processing is always going to be slow on the 1020 when it is processing 41MP.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
However slow app loading is Nokia/Microsoft's fault. Not like they have to rewrite the entire image processing.
Object Oriented FTW. Fix our app Microsoft >.>

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The technologically it is also ancient in both the phone and camera worlds. It is completely unreasonable to expect perpetual upgrades for old hardware and it really doesn't matter how much you paid. This device was announced nearly 20 months ago and has been for sale for 18 months. It was also a niche product upon release and is even more so now. The sense of entitlement really is staggering at times.

Yes its definitely unreasonable to expect firmware updates for a one and a half year old phone that is still the best camera phone out there and still a Nokia/MS flagship. /s /facepalm

The only reason why the Lumia 1020 is not getting some of the new Demin features such as HDR is because Microsoft is lazy to implement it and they decided its easier to just ditch the existing owners of the 1020. Same as they did when the switch from WP7 > WP8 took place; it was not impossible to make devices like the Lumia 900 to work with WP8, MS just decided it was not worth their time, came up with a BS excuse, and everyone just ate it up like fools.
If WP8 can run on crap hardware like the 520 it sure as hell could on the 900 with a bit of work.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes its definitely unreasonable to expect firmware updates for a one and a half year old phone that is still the best camera phone out there and still a Nokia/MS flagship. /s /facepalm

The only reason why the Lumia 1020 is not getting some of the new Demin features such as HDR is because Microsoft is lazy to implement it and they decided its easier to just ditch the existing owners of the 1020. Same as they did when the switch from WP7 > WP8 took place; it was not impossible to make devices like the Lumia 900 to work with WP8, MS just decided it was not worth their time, came up with a BS excuse, and everyone just ate it up like fools.
If WP8 can run on crap hardware like the 520 it sure as hell could on the 900 with a bit of work.
Please link your proof that lack of HDR and other Denim features is due to being lazy.

Per qualcomm the s4 plus is only specced to handle 20mp, not 41mp that the Lumia 1020 has. How do you know that the resources exist for more features after whatever custom hacks were put in place to attain 41mp on an arm soc that only supports 20mp image processing?
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/s4-s1

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Most activated Lumias are running off the S4 platform. Rewriting Lumia Camera for S4 means having the new app on the 520, 620, 720, 820, 920, 1020, etc. Implementing Lumia Camera does require firmware development, however, these phones use a very similar system so it should not be an issue. (maybe if their code is poor, who knows.. :eck:)

I have no sense of entitlement when it comes to Microsoft.

Nor should you expect to have a sense of entitlement from MS or any other company when extending to hardware that is two generations old. I don't think anyone here that has never written software code has any idea how difficult a task this is.

MS code writers are busy writing for the next generation of hardware and the next and so on. Every piece of hardware developed today is already obsolete before it's even brought to market. That's how fast technology is changing

Enjoy what you have or move on to the newer stuff around the corner.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Lets put it this way, the Lumia 1020 is slow(dont get me wrong, I do own 1020 so I know) so there's no reason for the new camera feature to roll of to Lumia 1020 devices cause it'll make it slower cause it doesn't have much hardware spec to run those features smoothly. And to be honest as a photographer myself I find those new camera features are just plain gimmick just to keep up with others. So what if it has 4k, 1080 is enough though since it can capture an impressive amount of details. The hdr option can also be done with other apps and software. The living images is only thing I am jealous at. So the solution here is buy a new WP

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
We had Living Images for a short time on the 1020. I actually prefer it without them. It would be nice if we had an option to enable or disable the feature though. Even if there's a caveat saying "known issues with this feature on our device, use at your own risk".

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Are you able to download Lumia Camera 5 on your 1020? I did on my 1520 (w/o Denim) and it still loads way faster. See link below. This would be interesting to know.

Exclusive: This one weird trick will let you use Lumia Camera 5 on your Cyan PureView phone
It is not available for download on the phone.

Here, if this doesn't put the op out of his/her misery then I don't know what will... :grincry:... unless *cough* :winktongue:
We chat with Microsoft's imaging chief about Denim, Lumia 1020, and more #CES2015 | Windows Central

It doesnt unfortunately. The question that I had asked wasnt answered. YET!!

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yep, processor on the S4 is the bottleneck. The imaging processing hardware on the 1020 is slightly different from reference. Regardless, there needs to be software 'hacks' as Ruined has already mentioned.

Processing is always going to be slow on the 1020 when it is processing 41MP.

Then I should atleast expect faster apploading on lumia 720 right? 6.7MP is not too hard to handle, ;)

point is MS doesnt want to put in resources on these old phones, might work for google & apple but MS is already having miniscule marketshare so if it continues this kind of fragmentation, ppl wont mind to move away from platform.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Please link your proof that lack of HDR and other Denim features is due to being lazy.

Per qualcomm the s4 plus is only specced to handle 20mp, not 41mp that the Lumia 1020 has. How do you know that the resources exist for more features after whatever custom hacks were put in place to attain 41mp on an arm soc that only supports 20mp image processing?
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/s4-s1

ok leave 1020, what abt the 520s, 620s,720s,820 & the pureview 920

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nor should you expect to have a sense of entitlement from MS or any other company when extending to hardware that is two generations old. I don't think anyone here that has never written software code has any idea how difficult a task this is.

MS code writers are busy writing for the next generation of hardware and the next and so on. Every piece of hardware developed today is already obsolete before it's even brought to market. That's how fast technology is changing

Enjoy what you have or move on to the newer stuff around the corner.

When a person purchases a phone, a contract is established between Microsoft and the consumer. The consumer should expect that his/her device will receive continued development during the life of the device, which is 12 months starting from the date of purchase. It is unethical to not release Lumia Camera 5 for S4 devices as the 925 and 521 were just recently made EOL.

Microsoft's practices are neither transparent nor straightforward. WP7.8 + Lumia 910 is a good example of what not to do when you are trying to push your products.

Hopefully with W10 comes a solution that rectifies the app loading times. Maybe they could even fix the white balancing algorithms that they broke.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When a person purchases a phone, a contract is established between Microsoft and the consumer. The consumer should expect that his/her device will receive continued development during the life of the device, which is 12 months starting from the date of purchase.

I'd also like to see the text where that is stated. I think that is a figment of people's imaginations.

gpgalanis

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I still don't understand why some people become MS lawyers or representatives in this forum and try to defend all MS decisions. Actually some people may really be MS representatives but honestly is it bad to want more (or to more precise at least the basic) and complain when we don't get it? How is it possible for people who own the 1020 to be happy not getting on time updates, new features etc?

As for MS they have presented W10 and still we don't have the official Denim 6 months after it was announced! And I don't care if there is a developer preview etc because ... wait for it ... I am not a developer and I care only about official releases.

Anyway it is really hopeless when we discuss the obvious.

PS. It is great that we will also get W10 (blah, blah, blah) but let's get the Denim first!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand why some people become MS lawyers or representatives in this forum and try to defend all MS decisions.

Assuming you are reacting to the two posts above yours:

No, it's not bad to want more and ask for it. However, it is bad to spread FUD and make people falsely believe they were promised something they weren't.

That just gets people riled up for no reason. It leads to endless amounts of whining on these forums that nobody really likes. It gets people complaining over broken promises that were never made. And it prevents people from asking the right questions, the answers to which have a far bigger chance of leading to real improvements...

You are confusing defense of the truth with the defense of MS.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa