Having bad luck with Nokia devices, need help!

MetroAbe

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Bough 1520 brand new which turns out defective after returning it I decided to go for 1020 at a really good price.

Installed Developer Preview on it and discovered that my camera focus would stop working after some time, the focus gets stuck in macro mode.
After I leave device alone after some time camera gets back to normal and focuses properly. During this normal operation the shutter makes a soft and quiet sound when it opens and closes.

As I take more pictures the focus gets stuck again and shutter makes louder click when it opens and closes.

I noticed that when focus is stuck, camera module doesn't move when I half press shutter button. When it's normal, camera modules moves when shutter is half pressed allowing the camera to focus. I feel like after some use, camera module gets warmer and that's when focus gets stuck.

Is this a hardware or firmware issue? Should I exchange it for another one? The thing is I bought it from pap and mom shop and this one was in mint condition when others are not so much.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like hardware to me.. I'd try to exchange it if I were you.

If you liked the 1520, I'd try to get another one of those as it's more "future proof"... As in it'll get all the new features of the upcoming Denim firmware, as well as Windows 10 later this year.

The 1020 has a fantastic camera, yes, but the device itself is rather outdated otherwise, and won't be able to take advantage of all the new updates coming down the line.

Best of luck!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know why users install DP on a phone they are trying to evaluate.
Running with firmware that does not match the OS leads to problems.

MetroAbe

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like hardware to me.. I'd try to exchange it if I were you.

If you liked the 1520, I'd try to get another one of those as it's more "future proof"... As in it'll get all the new features of the upcoming Denim firmware, as well as Windows 10 later this year.

The 1020 has a fantastic camera, yes, but the device itself is rather outdated otherwise, and won't be able to take advantage of all the new updates coming down the line.

Best of luck!

Actually I bought 1020 as a midterm device until the next flagship comes out with Windows 10 on it. Paid only $245 for yellow in mint condition and will sell it once I get next gen phone.

1520 cost me $720 for RM938 version. I felt that with all the screen issues paying that much for device without warranty was not worth it. I thought that if I sold it in ten months I would probably lose half of what I paid for it.

MetroAbe

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't know why users install DP on a phone they are trying to evaluate.
Running with firmware that does not match the OS leads to problems.

I did play around with stock firmware and it seemed fine so I decided to go for DP since I have it on my 920 without any issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999