Microsoft abandoning 1020 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
. They even said so in the Windows Central interview that they decided to just focus on 'newer' devices, hence abandoning the 1020 less than two years after release and without any successor to speak off for some time to come.

Um that is not at all what was said - the engineer clearly said that the 1020 did not have the chops to support the new features/enhancements...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How are your MS stocks and salary guys? I am asking because you care more about MS resources rather than the money you paid for your 1020.

I mentioned it before and I will mentioned it again that I don't care about the processor etc. It was Nokia decision to introduce their flagship model with it and MS promise to support all devices for 3 years. Also they were proud of WP not needing high specs to run smoothly etc and now they use it as an excuse.

Forget the 4K etc.

Do we need a better processor to open the app faster? No. Do we need a better processor to have better algorithms? No. Based on MS comments will we get anything? No.

So bottom line I really love my 1020 and it was the reason to also try WP but the actual OS and support is a joke!

Well how are your Google and Apple stocks doing? Since you seem to want them to keep sinking more and more money on attempting to add features to a phone that may not be making as much money for them anymore, even as they want to sell their newer devices.

Yes, its being supported for 36 months. Updates? Yup, its still getting Windows Phone 8.1 Update, and soon 10. They still will service 1020's in/out of warranty, etc. Tell me where the word "support" means "the exact additional features and upgrades gpgalanis wants, everyone else and qualified people be damned"
Support doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get every single additional feature, every single dinky switch, etc. The iPhone 4 did indeed see software upgrades up until iOS 8 launched. But wait, as I've said, it never got Siri! (and we do know for a fact it was possible) IT DIDN'T EVEN GET TOUCH ID. APPLE SHOULD HAVE ENABLED TOUCH ID - MY SISTER PAID LOTS OF MONEY FOR THE 4. WAKE UP.
Look around, the fields on the other platforms may seem greener, but it really depends. HTC dropped OS upgrades for the One S, X smartphones a long ago, while the similarly aged Lumia 920 still is slated for 10. etc.

Windows Phone doesn't necessarily need the fastest hardware around, but it doesn't mean its immune to reality and the laws of physics. I've seen someone else argue about how their low-end (not sure which model, it may have been the 520) Lumia should be getting 4K video recording since "its possible" because the 520 has a 5 MP camera.

Do we need a better processor to open the app faster? Depends. But it without a doubt helps a lot.
Do we need a better processor to have better algorithms? Algorithms are tailored to each phone, so they would have to spend resources specifically for the 1020, and the 1020 already performs great and doesn't have glaring widespread photo issues as far as I know.
Based on MS comments will we get anything? Of course not! OS updates be damned! Getting Windows 10 isn't anything, developing it took no effort on their part because I know better than the coders and team! What was I thinking?

Jokes on you, since you seem to hold Microsoft to a standard above and beyond the industry.

meowmixmeow

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I remember jailbreaking my iphone 4 and installing siri a few years back. Boy was it slow, and man did it crash, many times. C'mon guys, lets just be happy that we have 41 yummy Vlasic megapickles that no new firmware/os update could give to a lumia phone at the moment.

gpgalanis

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I suppose that common sense isn't so common after all.

1020 is the still the best camera phone in WP and probably in the market so I am expecting proper camera updates and I don't care about MS resources etc. I care only about actual support on things that for sure can be done with the existing processor.

But since some of 1020 owners just buy the MS BS then I suppose that we will get the support that we deserve. And WP they will get the market share that they deserve as they do.

PS. Except for the 1020 I have a Dell laptop, an Acer W700 tablet and a Toshiba Encore 2 tablet all running W8 but I won't stop complaining when MS or any other company treat me like ****.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

1020 is the still the best camera phone in WP and probably in the market so I am expecting proper camera updates and I don't care about MS resources etc. I care only about actual support on things that for sure can be done with the existing processor.
do.

Bottom line is that you can EXPECT what you want but nobody here can give that to you.
And you can CARE or DON'T CARE about what you want but still there is nobody here that can give that to you.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

But since some of 1020 owners just buy the MS BS then I suppose that we will get the support that we deserve. And WP they will get the market share that they deserve as they do.

PS. Except for the 1020 I have a Dell laptop, an Acer W700 tablet and a Toshiba Encore 2 tablet all running W8 but I won't stop complaining when MS or any other company treat me like ****.

Please read my signature and take it to heart. You are so centered on "I" that you have lost touch with reality. I'm truly sorry about how you feel. Why not buy the best photo image processing software, off load from the 1020 and run rings around what is presently available from MS no matter what processor or model known to the market.

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't care less about 4k resolution setting it's size and heaviness on the system so yeah the 1020 can't handle it and were being treated fairly setting were getting windows 10

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Worth noting the 1020's camera algorithms were tweaked and such with Black, etc. The phone had its "proper camera updates."

I'll just leave this here... since I think I've said all I felt I could.
04b0a72964.png
I'm joking of course.

Kinda.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
...Denim in order to create folders, to snooze my alarm etc!
Really?

What kind of folders do you want to create? Folders for apps in main screen? Already there. Snoozing your alarm, already there. You can even choose how much do you want to snooze, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes and even an hour. I took a screenshot for you. Sorry about the strong encryption otherwise known as a Finnish language.

Tutorial for live folders, WP 8.1 GDR1. Youtube
Snooze longer with new alarm setting in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Central

Hope this helps.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If it is business as you say then it is bad business because obviously they only have around 3% worldwide and honestly the 1020 was my first and last Windows phone.

As for the "1-2 years old phones still getting updates" argument let me just say that that the updates that they are getting are things that other OS had 4 years ago so it is really a joke. Just imagine that still in 2015 I am waiting for Denim in order to create folders, to snooze my alarm etc!

The 1020 is still their flagship camera phone and until they introduce another camera flagship they should have made proper camera updates to the camera to keep the owners happy.

But anyway as you said it is just business so good luck to MS and to their rather pathetic 3% market share.
And well now you have those features the others had four years ago. Mobile data toggle, battery saver toggle and live folders are actually pretty handy to be honest.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just imagine that still in 2015 I am waiting for Denim in order to create folders, to snooze my alarm

I was able to create folders months ago, and I don't even have Cyan yet. And I can snooze my alarm as well. Seems like options that are available without Denim....

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020,I'm selling mine to get 930 because of camera improvements and faster app switching(like switching back to Skype especially for me),I know its cause of hardware restrictions that Lumia 1020 wont get improvements,the 2gb memory it has is to assist with image processing,because it doesn't have a image processing module like 808 pureview, what I seriously think happened which screws us 1020 users is the launching of the device timing,its like they wanted to meet some deadline ,it was launched in July 2013 BUT then soon after the 1520 was released with power specs in October 2013,we don't know who made the decisions but it screwed things,okay lets say you wanna launch similar phone to 808 pureview in windows phone,and then release phablet version (1520)with slightly lower specs in camera dept(20 instead of 41),why launch without snapdragon 800 which the phablet uses?,someone made mistake in their team then launch phablet version soon after with power specs,the child of the phablet came way after in 2014,they had time restrictions set and didn't want to launch both phones same time to hinder sales of other but its sad that mistake was seen after 1020 launch,July to October is 4 months apart,think about it guys.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 hardware couldn't support Rich Capture. Sure. Fine. It's true.

HOWEVER, don't try to convince anyone that they couldn't have added at least an HDR mode to the Nokia Camera. The 1020 CAN support HDR, as proven not only by the countless 3rd party apps but also by the existence of HDR in any Android smartphone from the same time and specs of the 1020.

Microsoft DID abandon the 1020. There's no way around it. And they did without releasing a new imaging flagship.
It's their decision and not one I'm surprised. I knew they'd f*ck anyone not using a phone released by Microsoft Mobile (ie x3x series). They always axe everything existing when they buy stuff. Skype must be the only exception.

Worst of all, as Windows Phone is completely locked down, you can't even get an easy way to root it and make it so that you can replace the Nokia Camera/Microsoft Camera with a third party app which, by now, are better for the 1020 than the Nokia Camera.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 hardware couldn't support Rich Capture. Sure. Fine. It's true.

HOWEVER, don't try to convince anyone.

Microsoft DID abandon the 1020. There's no way around it. And they did without.

Worst of all, as Windows Phone is completely locked down, you can't even get an easy way to root it and make it so that you can replace the Nokia Camera/Microsoft Camera with a third party app which, by now, are better for the 1020 than the Nokia Camera.

Oh dont talk about completely locked down,you know what the OS features so why talk about it.if you wanna root stick to Android.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh dont talk about completely locked down,you know what the OS features so why talk about it.if you wanna root stick to Android.

The OS features the ability to determine a camera app to use...as long as it's either the Nokia Camera or the Microsoft Camera. That's a stupid restriction that isn't necessary and shouldn't exist. Therefore the OS is locked down. Period.

Root on Android is the positive thing that lets you fix when the OEM or Google messes something up. If Microsoft allowed it on Windows Phone as they do on Windows, the platform would have advanced a lot more in these last 4 years and marketshare wouldn't be decreasing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft DID abandon the 1020. There's no way around it. ...
I knew they'd f*ck anyone not using a phone released by Microsoft Mobile (ie x3x series). They always axe everything existing when they buy stuff. Skype must be the only exception.

Not adding specific camera features is a pretty narrow definition of "abandonment."
I haven't heard of too many phones getting camera algorithm stuff after launch, so by that definition, most phones have been abandoned already.
The 630? Nope. It must be abandoned. That last 8.1 Update + Denim update, adding an EQ? Abandonment.
The 535, where they're trying to do something about the touch issues? Its not camera improvements. Abandonment.

Abandonment is no updates, no nothing whatsoever. So dont be so melodramatic.

I'm sorry, you're literally taking one data point. Are x20 phones not getting 10? That's not "f*cking" with people. not yet at least. Putting out updates for all those devices isn't trivial.

I suppose people could go back and forth on that locked-down-or-no/more-secure-or-no, but I rather not touch that right now. but freedom goes all ways, not only the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss