02-13-2015 12:19 PM
70 123
tools
    The point I'm trying to make is that the Lumia 1020 doesn't have a firmware update.

That means getting into PfD puts the latest software onto the OP's Lumia 1020. If it was an 830, 930, Icon, or 1520, then yes, you'd need to wait for the Denim Update, and in which case you're right.

So, yes, getting onto PfD means getting the Denim update, because it's just an OS update, no firmware.
    NO No no prove your "theory". Otherwise I'm done. Denim is firmware.
    My 810 has 8.1 and update 1, so there are no OS updates available until Windows 10 and Denim is not there because it is firmware not OS. Good luck with your theory.
    02-03-2015 10:52 PM
    My 810 has 8.1 and update 1, so there are no OS updates available until Windows 10 and Denim is not there because it is firmware not OS. Good luck with your theory.
    Wait. Do you mean new features like live folders are not OS updates, but only firmware update for Lumia?? If that's the case, do you mean other WP like HTC or Samsung models will not have live folders?? AFAIK, new features from Update 1 will be available across all WP hence it can't be a firmware update. But if you are talking about Lumia camera updates, yes, that's part of Denim.
    02-03-2015 11:37 PM
    Wait. Do you mean new features like live folders are not OS updates, but only firmware update for Lumia?? If that's the case, do you mean other WP like HTC or Samsung models will not have live folders?? AFAIK, new features from Update 1 will be available across all WP hence it can't be a firmware update. But if you are talking about Lumia camera updates, yes, that's part of Denim.
    Live folders, the data toggle, battery saver toggle and many other features are part of the OS. Firmwares are software updates that coexist with the OS update to bring optimization to phones and bring other features. Denim brings Lumia Camera 5, "Hey Cortana," and camera improvements to the 830, 930 Icon and 1520.

All other phones, including the Lumia 1020 get the 8.1 Update 1 and the features coming with it. So you do get "Denim," but it doesn't do anything. With that in mind, the PfD does bring Denim to majority of the phones because there is no actual Denim update for them, sadly. So if the OP wants to get onto the PfD program to get the latest and greatest features (data toggle and the new live tile on the battery saver app are nice), then go for it and enjoy them, I have on my Lumia 920.

PfD brings Denim, because there is no Denim firmware for the Lumia 1020.
    02-04-2015 12:05 AM
    Microsoft clarifies Lumia Denim update for some is just in-name-only | Windows Central

Seriously , you could have checked this yourself. It was obvious when "Denim" started rolling out and there was no firmware attached to it. Unless, ofc, Denim is so powerful, it delivers firmware without changing builds

screenshot-7-.jpg
    02-04-2015 04:00 AM
    Its a joke !! did you read this ???? "realize that I used this levity to deal with my impatience" OMG !!!
    Instructions still unclear, legs on fire
    grantpwarren and Mr Lebowski like this.
    02-04-2015 04:06 AM
    Yep living in a "beta" bubble makes perfect sense
    Its not a Beta. Its the same build that gets pushed out. Which is why you won't get any further updates, only firmware updates if you are in line for some
    02-04-2015 04:07 AM
    Its not a Beta. Its the same build that gets pushed out. Which is why you won't get any further updates, only firmware updates if you are in line for some
    In my opinion it is, does not include firmware and has not gone through detailed testing with ones mobile service or hardware along with its designation as being "not official", there's a possibility of bugs, apps might not function properly etc, that spells "beta" in my books otherwise we'd never see a "final release".
    02-04-2015 05:31 AM
    In my opinion it is, does not include firmware and has not gone through detailed testing with ones mobile service or hardware along with its designation as being "not official", there's a possibility of bugs, apps might not function properly etc, that spells "beta" in my books otherwise we'd never see a "final release".
    It has gone through detailed testing with relevant devices, apps work as they should on 99 percent of devices. And in case you haven't noticed, firmware isn't being released with Lumia Denim. I guess that is also Beta. There was also a bug in a firmware update a while ago that killed 4G and cell connectivity in Lumia 920s, guess that's also Beta as well? Or, since Windows and Windows Phone will continue being updated, guess they are permanently in Beta
    02-04-2015 05:41 AM
    You have every right to your opinion as do I, I'm sticking to mine thx.
    02-04-2015 06:53 AM
    We are arguing because Denim should be firmware, and some consider that is not necessary. Therefore no answer for automatic white balance sometimes bluish, sometimes yellowish. You can't save camera profiles either, or choose saturation amount. No geotaging in raw. No improvements in battery consumption. We should believe all things are perfect and well done?
    02-04-2015 09:55 AM
    If it is a joke than it's not a funny one.
    PfD is not a joke. It will give u almost all the denim upgrades like the live folders and for an L1520 a much better battery life. I suggest getting it and hope they push the darn denim update soon cause I'm really fed up with the wait
    02-04-2015 10:27 AM
    Expect 3051.50009.1451.xxxx to be rolled out to most 1020 this week. It will bring bugfixes, including that damn freeze bug.

Nothing new camera wise, except again bug fixes (RAW are finally geotagged, geotags were missing from .dng files since day 1).
    02-10-2015 12:08 PM
    Expect 3051.50009.1451.xxxx to be rolled out to most 1020 this week. It will bring bugfixes, including that damn freeze bug.

Nothing new camera wise, except again bug fixes (RAW are finally geotagged, geotags were missing from .dng files since day 1).
    Source?
    02-10-2015 12:17 PM
    For the RAW part : Juha Alakarhu.

For the rest: a MVP friend of mine. No precise date, he said, but by Thursday most devices should have received it. No mention on how the 1451 version differ from the 1447, but according to him, the 1447 FW, used as a test in Finland, gave pretty good results.

Oh and the OS is that 8.10.14226.359 version, the latest.

Nothing official though, but if he tipped me, I think he's pretty sure.
    02-10-2015 12:33 PM
    02-11-2015 01:39 PM
    I received Denim while sitting in a Caf in Reykjavik on my open German 1020 :)

Haven't noticed any big changes yet, except the better folders.
    02-12-2015 12:37 AM
    RAW files should now be geottaged, for sure. The Live folders are a feature of the OS (all WP8.1.1 devices have it); the RAW bug fixed is specific to the 1020 (and probably the freeze fix also).
    02-12-2015 02:19 AM
    No mention on how the 1451 version differ from the 1447, but according to him, the 1447 FW, used as a test in Finland, gave pretty good results.

Oh and the OS is that 8.10.14226.359 version, the latest.
    Has anyone else on the PFD noticed that the OS ver is higher than the PFD? which means that PFD is not virtually denim!!! Denim may not bump up your FW number but OS yes compared to PFD. Question is what is the FI ROM got different in terms of the freeze bug?

I have the FW for Finland downloaded and ready to go. I just need to know what was different as they have the FW bumped up from 1451 to 1447!
    Cheers
    02-12-2015 01:41 PM
    Has anyone else on the PFD noticed that the OS ver is higher than the PFD? which means that PFD is not virtually denim!!! Denim may not bump up your FW number but OS yes compared to PFD. Question is what is the FI ROM got different in terms of the freeze bug?

I have the FW for Finland downloaded and ready to go. I just need to know what was different as they have the FW bumped up from 1451 to 1447!
    Cheers
    I don't understand your message :

a) yes, the OS is now greater than the latest PfD. It's what I've written and what you quoted, so why ask if anyone noticed the OS is superior to the PfD? This is not new, it was the case for the 930 and other devices. Ultimately, all WP8.1 devices will get this latest GDR1 I suppose
    b) If we call Denim the OS+FW update, then the 1020 (we're not talking about another device here) is concerned by a OS update AND a firmware update (unlike the 520 for instance, which only received GDR1). As far as I know, beyond the freeze bug, there's at least the RAW geottaging bug which got fixed by the 1451 firmware (dng files are not geotagged, unlike jpgs, since Black). For the other "under the hood" changes in the FW, nobody can really tell, unless Microsoft posts a changelog
    02-13-2015 03:04 AM
    I don't understand your message :
    I meant to say that PFD was a means given by MS for Developers to get their hands on the latest OS so they can do their thing and if this is the case then PFD did not give them the latest OS as there is an increase in the OS number.
    By saying Virtually Denim I meant that 1020 users will not have any firmware changes as MS had advised that for some Denim would be just a change in name and many here in the forums were kinda of said if you have PFD then pretty much we had Denim.
    hope it made sense.

Cheers
    02-13-2015 12:19 PM
70 123