Why is Denim still not avaliable when there are no new features (same firmware) except the OS update

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree. Somehow I still rather want them to focus to Windows 10 instead. That's a big thing for us customers that we get windows 10 for our older phones too. And I think that every phone that gets Win10 will have to be updated firmware wise also. I just hope that it isn't too late when it's finally released.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Found out how to force Denim on phone and bypass carrier. This is only for 1020, so not sure about other phones! Steps:

1. Go to settings->Phone Update->check for update
2. (Quickly while its checking) Go to settings->About->more info
3. Tap on the "Os version" text 6 times until it says "you are now a developer"
4. SOFT RESET your phone by holding the power button then sliding down the lock screen.
5. Upon reboot, you will see a message that says "Denim is ready to download, click OK to continue"
( may take multiple attempts because the check for update may complete <10 seconds)

If this doesn't work, click your heels three times while chanting "There's no place like Denim" and realize that I used this levity to deal with my impatience.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If this doesn't work, click your heels three times while chanting "There's no place like Denim" and realize that I used this levity to deal with my impatience.

That post isn't very nice. Someone's going to go on a wild goose chase now.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The intent was in good spirits, not malicious. This is why disclaimer was added. Figured people of utmost intelligence would get the joke. Have leniency.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because it's not the end of Q1 yet. That's the span in which all devices (pending carriers for some) have to get Denim.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That post isn't very nice. Someone's going to go on a wild goose chase now.

Oh please lighten up :wink: How many threads do we need asking the same damn question... when it was WPC when threads were basically the same as another thread they were deleted or merged, but not now. We get the same question posted in a different thread "it seems" every other day.

He also said this "I used this levity to deal with my impatience".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The intent was in good spirits, not malicious. This is why disclaimer was added. Figured people of utmost intelligence would get the joke. Have leniency.

Oh please lighten up :wink: How many threads do we need asking the same damn question... when it was WPC when threads were basically the same as another thread they were deleted or merged, but not now. We get the same question posted in a different thread "it seems" every other day.

He also said this "I used this levity to deal with my impatience".

I know, I know, I realize I was more serious than I would've liked.
I just felt the impending "IT DIDN'T WORK!!!" flood a bit too much and that it just seemed not-joky-enough for me.

but anyways, have a robot!
8d508fedc5.gif

gpgalanis

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
The argument about MS focusing on W10 and therefore delaying Denim is hopeless and it creates a vicious cycle because based on this approach we will always be waiting for the current update because MS will be focusing on the next!

So when we will eventually get Denim and be waiting for W10 most probably W10 will be delayed because MS will be focusing on W11 etc.

Coming from Android I thought that due to the lack of OS fragmentation and company launchers like TW, Sense etc we would be getting the updates immediately like the pure Android for the Nexus devices. But what I see is that MS is even worse with huge delays, lack of firmware updates, missing camera features and all of this not for a basic phone but for one of their flagship phones and still the camera king!

I am happy with Windows 8 in my laptop and tablet and I am looking forward to W10 but honestly this is the first and last WP I will ever buy. At least until MS treat WP users with respect.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
+1
And we could see this issue the other way:
How are we going to be confident in Microsoft producing Windows 10, if they aren't able to produce Denim.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe because it's not the end of Q1 yet. That's the span in which all devices (pending carriers for some) have to get Denim.

Ahemm, wasn't it Q4 2014?

The good news is, I read the 820 (which is part of the last pack of "older Lumias" which haven't received Denim : 820,920,925 and 1020, and this, worldwide), I read that the 820 is receiving Denim right now (for instance, in Belgium).

I think the 1020s (I mean, all variants) will have received "Denim" by the end of February (Vodaphone AU said 23rd of Feb or something like that for their variant)

The thinking is basically this. If you REALLY want the update, then you'll use the DP. Otherwise you don't really want it.

True for the features brought by the OS. But if we want the promised bug fixes that ONLY the firmware can bring, then no other choice than to wait (for instance, RAW files are not geotagged, and this, since Black).

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
It's like people doesn't see the difference between firmware and os updates. For every phone model they have to make completely different firmware. Denim most likely wont bring much new because of hardware limitations.

Lumia 1020:s hardware most likely can't support those features that people hope it would. For example hdr. You have to take at least 3 images in rapid succession. That could be done, but only 5 megapixels without pureview. There's 3rd party apps that does that already. But if you hope that it can be done using 38mpx files, it can't. There's a reason for that almost 4 second delay between pictures. That's the time the hardware needs to make that picture. Lumia 1020:s hardware doesn't natively support that kind of pictures. It's only possible because of the almost impossible hack what that camera module is.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
It's like people doesn't see the difference between firmware and os updates. For every phone model they have to make completely different firmware. Denim most likely wont bring much new because of hardware limitations.

They are impatient even if they do know the difference. I have a friend with a 520, who is on PfD for the latest version right now, and yet every single day he asks me "WHEN AM I GONNA GET DENIM?" despite the fact that I have repeatedly told him that the firmware update brings literally nothing new to his device. And still he asks every friggin day.

Denim is a hype word in Windows Phone users these days. That MS so much as mentioned that it's rolling out, it's got everyone wanting the latest and greatest even if it's not a big change.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Fully agreed. All I want is these bugfixes Juha have promised, like I'm fed up with these RAW files I have to geotag manually (JPG are, not DNG), since Black. With Cyan, they "weren't allowed" to touch that department, but with "Denim" (aka Cyan+ for us 1020 users), it should be ok.

It's not because Denim won't bring anything new (and frankly, I have no problem with that) that there is no good reason to expect Denim (the firmware part of the update). If they finally fix these freezes, for instance, it would avoid losing some captures, having to restart the 1020 during a photo session, or, as it occured to me last Saturday, having to *hard reset* the device.

Again, there's no good reason for older devices to "wait for Denim" (get the PfD for that), but for the 1020, MS have promised some HW fixes in the FW (and I believe for the 925 too). It would explain the bigger bump in the FW version (third and not fourth block incremented).

Nothing fancy compared to HDR, just asking for more stability :)

BTW, that .1447.0001 FW you got in December is now said, by @lumiahelp, only dedicated to "Finnish 1020". What a stupid statement. Like the FI 1020 have a specific hardware lol. All EU 1020 are RM-875.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Found out how to force Denim on phone and bypass carrier. This is only for 1020, so not sure about other phones! Steps:

1. Go to settings->Phone Update->check for update
2. (Quickly while its checking) Go to settings->About->more info
3. Tap on the "Os version" text 6 times until it says "you are now a developer"
4. SOFT RESET your phone by holding the power button then sliding down the lock screen.
5. Upon reboot, you will see a message that says "Denim is ready to download, click OK to continue"
( may take multiple attempts because the check for update may complete <10 seconds)

Instructions unclear, house on fire.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Ahemm, wasn't it Q4 2014?
No it was not. The Denim update began roll out in Q4 2014. I made sure of this when the announcement was originally made about Denim. People are either getting the dates confused or creating this notion that they were promised Denim in a particular time frame other than by the end of Q1.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No it was not. The Denim update began roll out in Q4 2014. I made sure of this when the announcement was originally made about Denim. People are either getting the dates confused or creating this notion that they were promised Denim in a particular time frame other than by the end of Q1.

You're absolutely right. To be honest, I don't even remember Microsoft having announced a proper window (like Q1), I just remember "starting Q4" (and it actually started mid-Dec).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb