Why is Denim still not avaliable when there are no new features (same firmware) except the OS update

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree with msirapian. The Denim firmware update was announced long time ago, then delayed, and of course no schedule. We are looking for more stability, better integration of O.S. There are two main camera apps, none of them well integrated (better is Nokia Camera). Some basic camera features are missing. I'm not interested in HDR or 4K. Looks like Microsoft is not interested in giving support to a model one year and a half old, but we take a good note of this.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Some basic camera features are missing.

Really? What are those features? I think Lumia Camera (or Nokia Camera, whatever it is called) provides actually quite a lot features. I just wish that I could use for example 8, 10, 12 and even 20 second shutter times. Just about everything else is covered. (Aperture of course isn't because there are no such hardware.)

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Agreed with JaniM: I don't need necessarily more, but need a more stable 1020, if its occasional freezes could be fixed. Patrikmore, I never said I wanted new features, or better integration, etc. Just that Microsoft fix the bugs existing since Black, for instance no geotags in RAW files, etc.

If we could have a patched Cyan firmware, I'd be a happy bunny. And again, that 1447.0001 firmware rolled out in Finland is probably not dedicated to that country only.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its a joke !! did you read this ???? "realize that I used this levity to deal with my impatience" OMG !!!

You seem to have missed Ebuka's joke. :)

2tYt6V9.gif

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
There is no firmware update for the Lumia 1020! So he can get Denim under the PfD!

No you can't get Denim, Denim is firmware PfD is only OS updates and if he has 8.1 he can get UPDATE 1 Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Central
and if he doesn't have 8.1 he can get it via PfD but he and no one gets firmware via PfD only OS

See what Preview for Developer allows http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...velopers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96
It says OS updates not Firmware. Denim is firmware not operating system /OS

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No you can't get Denim, Denim is firmware PfD is only OS updates and if he has 8.1 he can get UPDATE 1 Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 | Windows Central
and if he doesn't have 8.1 he can get it via PfD but he and no one gets firmware via PfD only OS

See what Preview for Developer allows http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...velopers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96
It says OS updates not Firmware. Denim is firmware not operating system /OS

The point I'm trying to make is that the Lumia 1020 doesn't have a firmware update.

That means getting into PfD puts the latest software onto the OP's Lumia 1020. If it was an 830, 930, Icon, or 1520, then yes, you'd need to wait for the Denim Update, and in which case you're right.

So, yes, getting onto PfD means getting the Denim update, because it's just an OS update, no firmware.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is that the Lumia 1020 doesn't have a firmware update.

That means getting into PfD puts the latest software onto the OP's Lumia 1020. If it was an 830, 930, Icon, or 1520, then yes, you'd need to wait for the Denim Update, and in which case you're right.

So, yes, getting onto PfD means getting the Denim update, because it's just an OS update, no firmware.

NO No no prove your "theory". Otherwise I'm done. Denim is firmware.
My 810 has 8.1 and update 1, so there are no OS updates available until Windows 10 and Denim is not there because it is firmware not OS. Good luck with your theory.:grin:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
My 810 has 8.1 and update 1, so there are no OS updates available until Windows 10 and Denim is not there because it is firmware not OS. Good luck with your theory.:grin:

Wait. Do you mean new features like live folders are not OS updates, but only firmware update for Lumia?? If that's the case, do you mean other WP like HTC or Samsung models will not have live folders?? AFAIK, new features from Update 1 will be available across all WP hence it can't be a firmware update. But if you are talking about Lumia camera updates, yes, that's part of Denim.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Wait. Do you mean new features like live folders are not OS updates, but only firmware update for Lumia?? If that's the case, do you mean other WP like HTC or Samsung models will not have live folders?? AFAIK, new features from Update 1 will be available across all WP hence it can't be a firmware update. But if you are talking about Lumia camera updates, yes, that's part of Denim.

Live folders, the data toggle, battery saver toggle and many other features are part of the OS. Firmwares are software updates that coexist with the OS update to bring optimization to phones and bring other features. Denim brings Lumia Camera 5, "Hey Cortana," and camera improvements to the 830, 930 Icon and 1520.

All other phones, including the Lumia 1020 get the 8.1 Update 1 and the features coming with it. So you do get "Denim," but it doesn't do anything. With that in mind, the PfD does bring Denim to majority of the phones because there is no actual Denim update for them, sadly. So if the OP wants to get onto the PfD program to get the latest and greatest features (data toggle and the new live tile on the battery saver app are nice), then go for it and enjoy them, I have on my Lumia 920.

PfD brings Denim, because there is no Denim firmware for the Lumia 1020.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft clarifies Lumia Denim update for some is just in-name-only | Windows Central

Seriously , you could have checked this yourself. It was obvious when "Denim" started rolling out and there was no firmware attached to it. Unless, ofc, Denim is so powerful, it delivers firmware without changing builds

Screenshot (7).jpg

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Its not a Beta. Its the same build that gets pushed out. Which is why you won't get any further updates, only firmware updates if you are in line for some

In my opinion it is, does not include firmware and has not gone through detailed testing with ones mobile service or hardware along with its designation as being "not official", there's a possibility of bugs, apps might not function properly etc, that spells "beta" in my books otherwise we'd never see a "final release".

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion it is, does not include firmware and has not gone through detailed testing with ones mobile service or hardware along with its designation as being "not official", there's a possibility of bugs, apps might not function properly etc, that spells "beta" in my books otherwise we'd never see a "final release".
It has gone through detailed testing with relevant devices, apps work as they should on 99 percent of devices. And in case you haven't noticed, firmware isn't being released with Lumia Denim. I guess that is also Beta. There was also a bug in a firmware update a while ago that killed 4G and cell connectivity in Lumia 920s, guess that's also Beta as well? Or, since Windows and Windows Phone will continue being updated, guess they are permanently in Beta

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
We are arguing because Denim should be firmware, and some consider that is not necessary. Therefore no answer for automatic white balance sometimes bluish, sometimes yellowish. You can't save camera profiles either, or choose saturation amount. No geotaging in raw. No improvements in battery consumption. We should believe all things are perfect and well done?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss